New iPad Mini rumors

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Oohara, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

Im going to sell my ipad 3 when the announcement date is confirmed

3. guineapig macrumors regular

I only hope it will be retina. Going back to non-retina would be a no-no for me.

4. Oohara thread starter macrumors 68020

Oohara

Yeah retina really is a must for the smaller screen. Choosing non-retina just to get the cost down would be the worst mistake they could make.

5. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

Two days ago I gave in and got an rMBP. I did not get it for the display. I wanted the form factor and performance. Well I have to admit there really is something to having this resolution.

For sure when the mini comes out I'll find a way to have one ASAP. I have a Fire and that form factor is perfect, but with the wrong OS. Because I do travel for work a mini would be a nice fit, and even better with a retina display.

6. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

I'd be incredibly surprised if it was. 1024 x 768 screen with an A5 processor somewhere around $300 makes sense to me. A 2048 x 1536 display would need at least an A5x to run it with a huge battery pack and I don't see how Apple manage to do that while a) keeping the battery life where they want it, b) keeping heat under control (though a 32nm processor would help) and c) getting the cost down to a suitably low price point to compete with the Fire and Nexus 7.

And the thing is that'd be fine for Apple this time round. Such a device (and price point) wouldn't be intended to represent top of the line hardware and be more to give an entry path to the iPad line for those that don't want to pay for the 10" model (and to scoop up any demand for a smaller device).

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Attached Files:

8. guineapig macrumors regular

The only option would be something between 1024 and 2048, but that would not go well with the limited number of resolutions ecosystem.
    A resolution of 1280*960 would have a pixel density of 203 ppi, a little less than the rMBP. 1536*1152 would give 244 ppi (assuming that the screen will be 7.85 as rumored).
    I could be thinking of paying a bit more, but not of giving up the Retina.
    As long as I remember, the most aggressive move Apple has made towards cutting costs is keeping the previous generation device with the minimum disk capacity. I don't think Apple will start down the line of keeping their cutting-edge technologies from their devices, "just" to cut the cost.

Never say never about Apple, but going back to non retina would be a complete turnoff for me.

9. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Took the words right out of my mouth. I agree. :apple:

10. Oohara thread starter macrumors 68020

Oohara

11. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

This.

The mini iPad most likely will compete with Android tablets and that means it won't be a flagship device. Due to the smaller form factor its difficult to fit the huge battery and heat would be a big issue. Going for a different screen resolution results in fragmentation, 1024x768 resolution would look better on the smaller screen due to higher pixel density and will work with all existing apps. Technical difficulties aside, it doesn't make sense for Apple to offer premium features of 9.7" iPad like retina display, 32/64 GB storage, 5MP camera on a $300 device.

12. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I agree, but I do think we will see some of those features. Maybe a similar camera, and possibly 64GB of storage as well.

13. HipHopTrex macrumors member

I really hope these rumors come to fruition. The Kindle Fire changed my perspective on tablets. I really really enjoy that tablet, Good OS, fits well in my hand, fast, light, and fun. I just would rather pay more for the OS I LOVE, than pay less for a good, but not quite as great OS. Particularly when I know I'll get OS upgrades. So if these iPad Mini rumors become reality, I'll probably be a day one consumer.

14. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

I hope the iPad mini is real. I've been looking forward to this rather than the iPhone 5. My 4s is just as capable and an iPad tablet will fit perfectly followed by my MBA.

IP5s for me next year. :)

15. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

That article references the Economic Daily News (in Chinese). Wish I knew what it said. But apparently its getting lots of interest at Gizmodo as well.

16. Sech macrumors member

Indeed, the Nexus 7 has done the same for me. I just love the form factor. I will absolutely be a day one consumer and will give my iPad 3 to my wife. :)

17. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I'd be interested in a Mini iPad at the right price. Like $199 for 16Gb WiFi only. I figure I'd have my iPhone with me so if I need to I could tether them when away from home.

FYI I was in a local retailer today and the sales person said the Apple rep told her there was no Mini iPad coming, not that an Apple sales wrap would know any more than the rest of us.

18. WLS, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

WLS macrumors 65816

The thing I don't understand is that the way we were told how it was going to be was that the iPhone5 would have it's own event and later in October there would be the regular event for iPods and the iPad mini. What happened was an extra long iPhone event with the iPods added in. So that kind of makes me wonder if there will be an October event if it's just the iPad mini. All of those mini photos seem to be of the same dummy model you can buy in China. The screen on it looks like a paper mockup. I'm not seeing much lately as to parts leaks which makes me wonder what's going on if it is in production. I know the iPod Touch 5 at least is real and probably will be getting that if the mini is a no show. :confused:

19. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

20. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I've got my iPhone 5, now on to the iPad Nano rumors. :D

I do hope it would have a retina display. I just don't feel that Apple would release a new iOS device without one at this point. I suppose it all depends upon whether they are aiming for good or cheap.

21. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

The October event NEEDS to be the iPad Mini and the Apple-forsaken iMac.

22. Che Castro macrumors 603

And mac mini

23. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I'm back to believing there is no mini happening...

24. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

oh please! please! please! please! PLEASE!

i WANT a mini! i bought the nexxus but returned it... LOVED the size... but hated the OS and also that i had to rebuy so many apps (yes... i'll probably have to rebuy some... but a lot of my purchased apps will work on and ipad/mini!

i was sorely disappointed when it wasn't announced along with the 5..... now i'm just impatiently waiting for the announcement and preorder!