New iPad not selling out like crazy like I thought it would

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mikee336, Mar 16, 2012.

1. mikee336 macrumors member

I work for the geek squad and I happened to check into my local store before I started my route. We got 160 total iPads and by 9:30 had only had about 10 of them reserved... Hell I even grabbed a ticket myself even though I hadn't planned on upgrading but if it's gonna be this easy then why not? Anyone notice there's not an iPad mania going on in there area too?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Preorders took a big bite out of launch day activity. A lot of us are waiting for the FedEx guy...

3. Kyllle macrumors 6502

Hopefully they will still be available tomorrow night when I get home.. I'm still debating whether to go straight to apple or try some of the other resellers first.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

This. Trust me, Apple is selling millions of these things right now

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I think most of it just has to do with Apple being more prepared this year than they were with the iPad 2. Preorders were crazy busy, so I'm sure there will be lots of them being sold everywhere.

6. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

This

7. HeadGear macrumors member

Yes they sure are. The fact that they took all the cargo planes from China and filled them up so no one else could even ship out of the country proves that point.

8. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Agreed. Lots of people who stood in iPad lines before decided it was easier to pre-order.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Just wait until the weekend is over and they announce the pre-order + launch day sales figures.

10. floridonet macrumors regular

What time does Best Buy hand out tickets?

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I remember having to wait several weeks after launch to get my iPad 2s. I tried several different places, the Apple Store every morning (sorry, no iPad 2s today) until I finally snagged my two 64GB AT&T models at a Best Buy. I have to say the experience was less than pleasant.

This time I ordered online and decided to invest my time doing something a little more productive.

12. OSMac macrumors 65816

I think this is Apples biggest release ever,
    and they built of lots of stock unlike ASUS etc.

Give it a few days , will be sold out everywhere...

13. scrapple macrumors regular

scrapple

the ebay crowd is shedding tears, as making $30 off an ipad3 is not worth the hassle...

14. johndoe588 macrumors regular

Oh, I think they are selling just fine. Looks like Apple figured out the combination of pre orders, supply build up and outlets to avoid the drama of the iPad 2 launch. I pre-ordered, but a little road trip to an Apple Store would have been nice. I didn't think lines and waiting would be a non-issue.

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

The true question is what will post-launch demand be like in comparison to production amounts.

If demand goes up sharply after people see others using it or read about it, we could still see a similar situation. Those who paid attention though and preordered will be sitting pretty. :)

16. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Can't recall apple ever doing that, only at financial reporting times.

17. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

They announced the 4M preorders after the first weekend of iPhone 4S sales...

18. nfl46 macrumors 603

Good. I liked how they had tons of them during preorder. I would've hated to stand in line for hours.

19. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Other than Retina display, it's not a major overhaul from iPad 2.. If you're upgrading from an iPad 1 then it's probably a worth while upgrade.. I'm sitting this one out and waiting for the next model but also waiting to see what the windows 8 tablet has in specs..

20. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Yea. I went to my local BB at 9am. They had 20 people get tickets and leave. They had every model.

BTW I'm in KS

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

BTW, FedEx truck just pulled up at 10:10am with my two new iPads. See you guys later... :cool:

22. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Mine got delivered to my job about 40 minutes ago. I still haven't even had an opportunity to open it.:(

23. f1restarter macrumors regular

This is because Apple has learned their lesson from last year's iPad 2 fiasco, where many customers were absolutely pissed off at Apple for not having enough stock. I remember how people were standing for hours at their local Apple store or BestBuy only to find out they had no more iPads. Everyone was saying Apple should've allowed pre order option online.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

Lucky!

My truck is usually more like 11-12. :D

25. Bheleu macrumors 6502

Differences between last year and this year...

Last year: Japan got hit with a Tidal Wave, followed by Nuclear Meltdowns this had a global impact on the electronics industry including Apple. Businesses and entire industries were swept away, and multinational industries had to scramble to find replacements. As such, Sony's camera line suffered.

This year: Thailand got hit by massive flooding at the end of last year, this disrupted "Platter" drives and caused more use of SSD drives; therefore, their prices have dropped in relation to platter drives as SSD are selling more. Also Sony suffered again, as their cameras were also being made here. This has also caused the margin for profit to drop on laptops/desktops which use platter drives as well as pushed the prices too high for people to "justify" those purchases. This has overall helped Tablet sales. Apple has also had record funds available all year long and has been able to fund a much better launch and initial build. Additionally the market is full of iPad and iPad 2 devices - the New iPad is really nice, but the iPad and iPad 2 are also nice tablets too. At the end of the crunch last year a lot of scalpers saw its own "dot com bust" and many were stuck with inventory if they did not have the receipts to return them.

I somewhat doubt we are going to have sellouts, unless the scalpers have deep pockets and not a lot of sense this year, or if Apple holds back. I ordered two, one to use and one to "try" reselling. I figured if it did not sell I could either return it or keep it for my wife (because of the cost, we're going to see if the boost is worth the expense before she opens hers - sold my iPad 2 already, and she does not want to resell her iPad 2 but use it for the kids who have an iPad 1). Additionally, the economy has been down for many people. Usually scalpers do so because they do not have a lot of funds and see an opportunity to make more. If you are stuck with something this expensive on a credit card, you are going to see your profits eaten by the credit card holders. Again, I do not think it is going to pay to be a scalper on these this year. Supply is higher than demand right now. Most of us die hards preordered ours and an extra, everyone else will just wait and get it in the store or get the extras from friends/family. If Apple did not have the extra supply they would not have done the preorder sells. They did them because they knew how much inventory they had and did not want to get stuck with it all (retailers get shafted, and Apple profits off preorders and the large supply requested by retailers). Also as pointed out, Walmart stores might be sold out but Walmart online has plenty and will ship to stores (helps to be able to send stock to the areas that need it, Walmart did their release smart).