New iPad Pro Begins to Arrive to Customers Around the World

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Stores may be closed outside of China, but today is still launch day for the new iPad Pro, with the first online orders beginning to arrive to customers around the world. The photo below was shared by a MacRumors reader from Manchester, England.

If you are patiently waiting for your new iPad Pro to arrive in the mail, be sure to participate in the order status thread in the MacRumors forums.

The new iPad Pro features an A12Z Bionic chip with faster graphics performance, an Ultra Wide camera for 0.5x zoom, a LiDAR Scanner for enhanced augmented reality, better sounding microphones, and compatibility with Apple's upcoming Magic Keyboard with a built-in trackpad. Pricing continues to start at $799 for the 11-inch model with 128GB of storage, while the 12.9-inch model begins at $999.

Online orders placed today on Apple.com are currently estimated for delivery in mid April, but Apple said select retailers will be carrying the new iPad Pro as of this week in regions where businesses are still open.

For more on the new iPad Pro, we have shared a reviews roundup and unboxing videos.

Article Link: New iPad Pro Begins to Arrive to Customers Around the World

GuruZac

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2015
Awesome for the people getting them. The only thing these iPad Pro have that my Gen 3 doesn’t that I want is 6GB of RAM. I didn’t want to spend the money to buy a 1TB iPad Pro just for the extra 2GB if RAM, especially when so many said the extra RAM was for the increased memory, not for performance.

MacFather

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Let me get this straight:

- No improvements in display quality (same brightness, no mini-LED)
- No improvements in CPU speed (for the first time since A5X)
- No improvements to the main camera (no Night Mode support)
- No improvements in speaker quality
- No improvements in battery life

Hopefully, there are at lest some improvements in rigidity and durability.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
To me concept of tablet is completely ridiculous. Release MBP already, apple!
Lol. Well here's to another decade of this "ridiculous concept" :D
Awesome for the people getting them. The only thing these iPad Pro have that my Gen 3 doesn’t that I want is 6GB of RAM. I didn’t want to spend the money to buy a 1TB iPad Pro just for the extra 2GB if RAM, especially when so many said the extra RAM was for the increased memory, not for performance.
Yes. I'm upgrading just for the RAM, but I have a few specific applications that will work so much better because of it. If it turns out the extra 2GB isn't accessible by apps, it's fairly simple to return and wait...

AppleFan1179

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015
I have one coming today, purchased before the speed tests were released. I really wanted to explore switching from an 11" pro to 12.9", but having seen the Geekbench scores, I can't justify the cost. If there was a significant speed bump or something, I'd happily keep the 12.9 and sell the 11. But, as it appears right now, the 12.9" would really just be a screen size and camera upgrade. I'm not even going to open it and just send it back. Disappointing, but it's not a good enough upgrade to justify it.

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Has anyone found CPU speed and performance in a recent iPad Pro lacking?

I'm not talking about contrived tests to discover the limits. But from everyday common iPad usage.

dantracht

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Honest question: am I correct in that portrait mode is not available on this? Why exactly is that?

gadgetfreak98

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009

I had my Gen 3 from day 1 and have loved every moment with it. And while I'm always at risk of pulling the trigger with any new iDevice Apple releases, I'm perfectly fine to take a pass on this one. I have the 1TB so I also don't miss out on the RAM differential. To your checklist above, other than battery life, I've never wanted for more -- and honestly, I really don't care about the camera. I'd be surprised if I have taken 5 photos with this in my time of ownership. And as it stands right now, I don't have VR / AR needs.

I've never had issues with rigidity or durability. Are those common problem areas? I'm just not aware.

For anyone who is coming from Gen 2 or a different device, this will be a massive upgrade.

To me, it seems the iPad maybe maturing to a point where we should expect more incremental upgrades, rather than massive overhauls. This would be more like how the Mac line upgrades vs. how the iPhone line does. And frankly, I'm glad they are continuing to improve an already good advice -- and that I don't feel like my 18 month old device is now out of date! And more importantly, like with 13.4's release, I'd love to see the software continue to improve to take advantage of the powerful hardware.

So I'm perfectly fine with Apple's approach on this. Perhaps the next one will be impossible for me to resist. But keep making the already very good tool better. It benefits all of us iPad users.

Now that Magic Keyboard... Here I come!

jmgregory1

macrumors 68000

I'm not talking about contrived tests to discover the limits. But from everyday common iPad usage.
As much as it might seem like a wasted opportunity for Apple to update to an A13X or A14X chipset with these early 2020 iPad Pro’s, my A12X driven 12.9” iPad has been fantastic. I may be a bit out of the norm in that I don’t normally try to keep dozens of Safari tabs active all the time, as I figure if I really want to save some website or page, I’ll do just that - save it, then close it, so I don’t need tons of ram to keep all the tabs active.

I used to think that my 2011 MacBook Air 13” was my favorite Mac computer, or maybe it was my 2005 Mac Pro tower, but the iPad Pro has eclipsed both, especially now with the trackpad iPadOS update.

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
As much as it might seem like a wasted opportunity for Apple to update to an A13X or A14X chipset with these early 2020 iPad Pro’s, my A12X driven 12.9” iPad has been fantastic. I may be a bit out of the norm in that I don’t normally try to keep dozens of Safari tabs active all the time, as I figure if I really want to save some website or page, I’ll do just that - save it, then close it, so I don’t need tons of ram to keep all the tabs active.

I used to think that my 2011 MacBook Air 13” was my favorite Mac computer, or maybe it was my 2005 Mac Pro tower, but the iPad Pro has eclipsed both, especially now with the trackpad iPadOS update.
Thanks...

That's what I'm hearing from others regarding CPU performance.

I'm on the fence. I have a 2014 iPad Air 2 and it still works fine for me. I am, though, interested in the new iPad Pro having a use for the camera.

Think I'll wait a few weeks and see how others are liking the new one.

GDF

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
I have one coming today, purchased before the speed tests were released. I really wanted to explore switching from an 11" pro to 12.9", but having seen the Geekbench scores, I can't justify the cost. If there was a significant speed bump or something, I'd happily keep the 12.9 and sell the 11. But, as it appears right now, the 12.9" would really just be a screen size and camera upgrade. I'm not even going to open it and just send it back. Disappointing, but it's not a good enough upgrade to justify it.
I agree with you and did the same thing. I don’t think it will be justifiable either and will probably just return and wait for the next upgrade. Very disappointing. If I end up keeping my current 11 Pro will definitely be getting the new keyboard in May. At least it will seem somewhat different then. :)

Mr. Awesome

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2016
Honest question: am I correct in that portrait mode is not available on this? Why exactly is that?
With the new LiDAR sensor, you would really expect it to have Portrait Mode for the back-facing camera. (It already does Portrait Mode on the front-facing camera) I think they're probably still working on integrating the LiDAR sensor and Portrait Mode for the back camera might be enabled in a future iPadOS update. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: citysnaps

itsmilo

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2016
Europe

It’s just another iPad 3, excuse me „The new iPad“ situation really

Reactions: Flow39

jjudson

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
I need several of you who are taking delivery of these to do me a favor. Please bend them in half and let me know if Apple reinforced them from the previous model.

Thank you.

AppleFan1179

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015
I need several of you who are taking delivery of these to do me a favor. Please bend them in half and let me know if Apple reinforced them from the previous model.

Thank you.
My 11" has never had a bend issue, and I've packed it in some stuffed backpacks with tons and tons of ****. Nearly 50lbs on my last trip. If people are bending these, they are REALLY ****ing up.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA

Performance? No.
CPU speed? How would you assess that without a contrived test to discover the limits? And since what matters is real-world performance, why care?

BF1M

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2018
My 11" has never had a bend issue, and I've packed it in some stuffed backpacks with tons and tons of ****. Nearly 50lbs on my last trip. If people are bending these, they are REALLY ****ing up.
My 12.9 3rd gen came with a slight bend. Just ignored it and moved on. It's not gotten any worse over it's lifespan.

Reactions: GuruZac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.