Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skymrnlit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2017
I have only had my iPad Pro for approximately two months. Previously had an iPad mini. About a week ago when I pushed my enter button on a text message, a horrible loud screeching noise started that I could only stop by turning it off. Tried to send message again and it did it again so I turned it all the way off, let it sit and turned it back on. The sound did not come back until just now when I pushed my speaker icon to do a voice to text on a message. Truly a horrific sound that sent my animals fleeing from the room. LOL Any ideas??

Come to think of it, I "might" have been using the same program both times. That program being messenger that is attached to the Facebook app. Could that be it?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Must be feedback, between the speakers to the microphone.
Turn the volume down, or even mute the internal speakers.
Probably would also stop if you simply cover either the microphone port, or both speakers
Perhaps there is some setting for the Facebook app that might affect that?

Reactions: Skymrnlit

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have only had my iPad Pro for approximately two months. Previously had an iPad mini. About a week ago when I pushed my enter button on a text message, a horrible loud screeching noise started that I could only stop by turning it off. Tried to send message again and it did it again so I turned it all the way off, let it sit and turned it back on. The sound did not come back until just now when I pushed my speaker icon to do a voice to text on a message. Truly a horrific sound that sent my animals fleeing from the room. LOL Any ideas??

Come to think of it, I "might" have been using the same program both times. That program being messenger that is attached to the Facebook app. Could that be it?

Perhaps it's the Facebook application. Also, you could try doing a hard reset by holding down the power button and volume button versus actually powering down the iPad altogether. That sometimes clears glitches/errors.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Perhaps it's the Facebook application. Also, you could try doing a hard reset by holding down the power button and volume button versus actually powering down the iPad altogether. That sometimes clears glitches/errors.
Wrong!! To hard reset iPad you have to hold down Power button and home button all together [not volume buttons], the method you told avobe applies only on iPhone 7 /iPhone 7 Plus due to their lack of physical home button.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
you told avobe applies only on iPhone 7 /iPhone 7 Plus due to their lack of physical home button.

I don't understand what you're saying in that last sentence. So I'll reiterate and decipher the best I can, Furthermore, It requires a 10 second hold simultaneously which you didn't make clear and It does not just apply to the iPhone 7's/7+, it applies to iPhones (6s) AND iPads alternatively. Also, iPhone 7 does NOT lack of physical home button. It lacks a depress, because its solid state button attached to the Haptic motor. It's still a button none the less.

Last edited:

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I don't understand what you're saying in that last sentence. So I'll reiterate and decipher the best I can, Furthermore, It requires a 10 second hold simultaneously which you didn't make clear and It does not just apply to the iPhone 7's/7+, it applies to iPhones (6s) AND iPads alternatively. Also, iPhone 7 does NOT lack of physical home button. It lacks a depress, because its solid state button attached to the Haptic motor. It's still a button none the less.

Well, I am with Sunny here. The usual method to reset an Apple IOS device is to hold Power and Home buttons.
I am aware that the method you describe (Power and Volume) is used by some Android devices and by iDevices that have been Jailbroken. Whether it also works on a normal iDevice I don't know and I can't be bothered to try. I just follow Apple advice on this (Power and Home button).

Reactions: Skymrnlit and XT550

Skymrnlit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2017
If you hold down the power button and the down volume button on an iPhone 7 it will do a hard reboot. This was new to the iPhone 7 because the home button is different. That does not work, however, on an iPad. On the iPad you hold down the power and the home button at the same time.

The iPhone 7 is the only one to date that you have to hold down the volume button

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
On the iPad you hold down the power and the home button at the same time.

You are correct. The exception is However, with a jail broken iPad (Which both of my iPads are, but my iPhone is not) you can use 'Activator' to reset the functionality and Multi-touch gestures to whatever you prefer, basically remapping the performed functions and extensions of the buttons. I should have indicated that originally, which was not Taken into consideration.

Skymrnlit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2017
Well I deleted and reloaded the app and I've done a hard boot and have my fingers crossed. I will let you know if it does it again and maybe we can figure out something else to try. Thank you all for your quick responses

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.