New iPad Pro Renders Depict Angular Chassis and iPhone-Like Antenna Lines

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 3, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Serial mobile leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer shared high-resolution renders today, courtesy of tech blog MySmartPrice, that are based on supposed leaked CAD images of Apple's upcoming redesigned iPad Pro.

Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said Apple is working on two new iPad Pro models that take design cues from the iPhone X, measuring in at 11 and 12.9-inches.

[​IMG]

In addition to the thinner bezels, no Home button, and edge-to-edge display of the expected iPad Pro design, the mocked-up renders depict a device with an angular chassis boasting iPhone 4-style chamfered edges, rather than the rounded chassis of the current-generation tablet.

In another seeming nod to Apple's evolving iPhone handset design, the device is shown with separate antenna strips along the top and bottom edges of the chassis, instead of the single continuous antenna lines on either side of the existing cellular models.

[​IMG]

Elsewhere, a closer look reveals a distinct lack of headphone jack, two rows of speaker vents on either side of the Lightning port - similar to the alleged CAD images leaked last month - and two microphone ports located above the TrueDepth camera embedded in the bezel.

Also like the CAD image before it, a Smart Connector is positioned on the back of the device directly above the Lightning port, instead of the landscape orientation on current iPad Pro models.

[​IMG]

MySmartPrice claims the positioning is related to the limitations of Face ID in landscape orientation, however well-connected Bloomberg reporter Mark Gurman has said horizontal Face ID support is a feature in the upcoming iPad Pro models, which are expected to be announced this month.

The legitimacy of the additional details in the renders - and the alleged leaked CAD images they are supposedly based on - have yet to be confirmed, but Apple's scheduled media event on September 12 should reveal all.

Article Link: New iPad Pro Renders Depict Angular Chassis and iPhone-Like Antenna Lines

2. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

3. ToomeyND macrumors 6502

Can't imagine there ever being a justifiable reason to have a protruding camera on the back of an iPad.

4. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

5. Mooey macrumors regular

6. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

7. DavidMalcolm macrumors newbie

DavidMalcolm

What is the point of the smart connector if not to use it with a keyboard?

8. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Unless iPads suddenly got a super-dual-uber-awesomesauce state of the art camera…. I don't see the reason for the bump. But whatever. Not really a problem as I'm used to iPads with those thick magnetic flap-sleep covers, so the bump will largely be neutralized.

9. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

10. SeaFox macrumors 68030

SeaFox

Sounds more like a "nod to the worst of Apple's iPhone handset design".

11. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

I dislike the straight edges. I think it will feel very uncomfortable to hold. The camera bump also a no no.

12. T-Bob macrumors 6502a

T-Bob

You guys realize the current pads have bumps yeah?

13. miketcool macrumors 6502a

miketcool

The bump allows 3rd party lenses and accessories to perfectly line up with the camera. It has worked fantastic with my Moment lenses.

14. syntax, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018

syntax Suspended

I kind of figured they would have rounded frames like the iPhone X, but this actually looks more like a closed MacBook Pro than anything. I happen to like it.

15. Jetfire macrumors 6502

Don't know if I'm a fan of removing the home button (Touch ID) from the iPad. Face ID works fine (great) on my iPhone X. But the way I use my iPad Pro 12.9". Lifting it up, looking at it, and swiping up to unlock it is not natural. I unlock it now with my thumb when picking it up to move it. I do this with out even have to look at it.

16. justiny Contributor

justiny

This will be a huge disappointment if they can't get FaceID to work in landscape as well as portrait on the new iPad (as it appears like these renders showing a relocated smart connector to promote a primarily portrait orientation).

Having an iPad work in any orientation, even upside down, is a severely understated feature. Portrait-only FaceID on an iPad should be a no-go.

17. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I love the edges but would rather they were on all iPhones. Don’t like the bump. Would be appalled at the lack of a headphone jack socket, there is even less excuse for that than on the phones.

18. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

19. newyorksole macrumors 68040

I haven’t owned an iPad since 2010 and think I’m about to reinvest.

20. ghanwani, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018

ghanwani macrumors 65816

Will be part of the final product. Can't leak everything.

21. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I'm going to stick with my iPad Pro 12.9 512GB for a long time I think... as such a workhorse, I think it's silly (and unnecessary...?) to put so much emphasis on slimming it down and removing things like the earphone jack on something that's meant to be used for real work, as opposed to a phone which is all about portability and convenience.

I'm still in shock that Apple allowed the "notch" and saw any kind of "progress" worth that kind of sacrifice, and if that's on the iPad Pro too, I'm really going to roll my eyes.

22. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Presumably fits in the bezel. Which would underline the fact that on the iPhone X it's a compromise of a design element, not the charming ideal some seem to believe it to be (but fair enough, if you like it). We’ll see!

23. venom600 macrumors 6502a

Assuming this is fairly accurate, I want to hear their justification for removing the headphone jack from an iPad. If Phil Schiller says "bravery" or "courage" I hope someone throws a rotten tomato at him.

24. Wags macrumors 65816

25. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

Likely because the amount of people using wired headphones with an iPad is a super small minority.