New iPad rumors hot off the press...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HXGuy, Feb 24, 2011.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

From Engadget...

We're hearing it's most likely a thinner, spec-bumped variation of the original iPad with a screen size and resolution identical to the current model. More RAM (512MB) and a more powerful CPU (the A5) are expected as well. It's also a pretty safe bet the tablet will be sporting at least one camera up front -- though if some of those case mockups we've seen tell us anything, expect a shooter around back too. It's also almost guaranteed that we'll see the next version of iOS (number 5 in all likelihood, along with its SDK for devs), and an expansion of Apple's cloud services (that part is a little... foggy right now). Of course, that will perfectly set up Apple's announcement of the iPhone 5 in June, which is when iPad owners can likely expect to be using the new software.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Looking forward to iOS 5 almost more than the iPad itself.

2. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Pretty much a minor spec bump what most predict.

3. WLS macrumors 65816

I think it's awesome we are getting the A5 and not a souped up A4. IOS5 sounds good but is it going to just be discussed or actually on the new ipad?
    Either way it's all good. There's some question in my mind if a WIFI only model will be able to have FaceTime since it won't have a cellular number to call. I've heard it will be thinner too and even called "crazy thin" Around 1/4 inch? I'm in!

4. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

Sounds ok I guess, but not sure it is worth selling my iPad 1 for. I'm sure I will want one after the announcement though.. thats the way it always goes.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not new and not rumors. Rumors are "I heard X say Y." Like when all the major news oulets started reporting theyd heard from "certain sources" that iPad announcement willl be on March 2, ahead of Apple officially sending out invites. This is just same old speculation everyone's been spouting for weeks.

6. i eversaw, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

i eversaw macrumors regular

i eversaw

the A5 combined with 512 RAM will make it fast. All of those that waited, this is worth it.

7. jman800 macrumors regular

If i owned an iPad 1, I would most likely not upgrade.

However, being that there is a large group of people who either have waited, or are just now coming on to the iOS theme, this will be the iPad to have.

And i'm pretty sure Apple is betting on that too.

Also, like in the iPhones and iPod Touches, higher iOS features only work on certain models, and thus the iPad 1 will be getting less and less features, prompting others to upgrade.

But by then i'm sure iPad 3, will be coming out, with big differences.

Way I see it:

Ipad 1 owners win= Able to wait untill iPad 3 without much incentive to upgrade.

Non-iPad owners win= Purchasing new iPad with decent features.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

These rumors are just tempered expectations. I don't know why engadget is calling it a thinner spec bumped version of the first one. Pointless writing.

9. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

iOS 5 will only be previewed if anything, there's not a chance the ipad gets iOS 5 before the next iphone, which is apple's flagship mobile device now.

and the wifi will get facetime, because facetime only works on wifi. i have a 4g ipod touch and it has facetime, too. you don't only need a phone number to use facetime, you can also use an e-mail address, which is what i use when i facetime.

here's my POV on these rumors though: if apple really expects to sell more than double of what it has sold in the past 9 months or so in the next year, then they have to really up their game and make it worthwhile, especially KNOWING that android and other tablets will actually be competing with the ipad this year, compared to last year which was basically nothing or the galaxy POS. so i am really expecting apple to bring all they've got to this device and not hold out on us.

10. MacbookAlum1536 macrumors regular

MacbookAlum1536

I don't see why this is being referred to as an iPad 1.5 but I feel that these specs are pretty good and they will deserve the iPad 2 moniker as long as it has a dual core A5 processor. Regardless Apple will be getting my pre-order for this.

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

The purchase of Ipad 2 really depends on the validity of the IP3 rumors for the fall.

12. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I REALLY hope that Apple uses the same back camera sensor as the one on the iPhone 4. Otherwise, the 2G iPad will be essentially a "glorified" 4G iPod touch, not exactly what I want!

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If this is all that Apple has to offer, they will have to do a iPad3 before Christmas to keep up with all the new tablets. Steve Jobs will see the light soon!:eek:

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

that could mean one of two things !

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

Tacky. Very tacky.

16. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; SGH-T959 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Why is a Tegra2 on new Androd tablets are considered a killer spec but the A5 is just a "bump" when the A5 is rumored to be even faster than t he Tegra?

17. geko29 macrumors 6502

4th gen iPod Touch does FaceTime via email address. WiFi iPad will undoubtedly be the same.

18. WLS macrumors 65816

They are good specs. There was some question based on one rumor about whether there would be an "enhanced" A4 in the iPad and not the A5. If Apple had or does put in only an A4 even if improved then I'd have to call it it a incremental 1.5 type improvement. If we get the A5 then I'm satisfied it is a big enough jump to call it iPad2 worthy. :)

I wonder what the so called engineering change was. Gruber says that's just BS by Engadget to cover their bad predictions.

19. WLS macrumors 65816

OK but don't you have to call a me.com address and then it pushes an email to the other person that you want to establish a connection? Sounds a bit awkward. I don't see using it a lot if at all but that's just me.

20. nomik2 macrumors regular

They are both expected to be ARM Cortex-A9

21. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Its referred to as iPad 1.5 because there isn't any major change. Pretty much every update comes with an increase in RAM and processor. Making it slightly thin isn't a major redesign. iPad 3 will be a huge update though if they're going to put a high res. screen;)

22. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

It would be awesome if they did a storage upgrade and 32GB was the new low end at $499.

That with the A5, 512MB of RAM, dual cameras, and less weight with the same or better battery life could get me to upgrade.

As long as the camera has autofocus and a decent macro mode as I would mainly be using it to quickly get a short physical document onto the iPad screen.

If they don't bump the storage or the camera can't take decent macro photos then it might be a little harder sell for me to upgrade.

23. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

They are and that's why I'm scratching my head. From what I've heard, the new A5 should even one up Tegra2 in graphics and possibly even be slightly faster in CPU speed (not sure about this one) Yet everybody says the new iPad's just an "incremental" improvement that'll have hard time competing against Android with Tegra2.

24. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I hope they're wrong about "last minute design changes" even if we don't get an SD card port it'd be stupid to at the last minute half ass some things. not their style.

25. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Gruber is an ass. The iPad 2 rumors jumped the shark as soon as he said "iPad 3".

SD card is a pipe dream but you never know Steve might have been in a giving mood.. haha