New iPad Update Already? Seriously

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mdawid, Oct 20, 2012.

1. mdawid macrumors regular

mdawid

I had replaced my original iPad when the new iPad came out back in March. Picked up a white 32GB on launch day. Now I find out that Apple is already going to refresh the new iPad next week? Come on.... Is it me or is anyone else bothered by this. Granted, I love advancements in technology just as much as everyone else. But to have my iPad deemed to be obsolete in a mere 7 months is crazy. Next thing I'll probably find out that there are certain Apps that won't run on the New (now old) iPad. :(

2. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I wouldn't be too upset. It's only a minor update, it's still the third generation device, it won't have any advantages in terms of software. Also, the fact that they update products doesn't change your device at all, so it's illogical to care if they update it or not.

3. Emathieu macrumors regular

I'm not bothered in the least. Obsolete? Seriously? My iPad will continue to work when the new one is released. I'll bet it is just the Lightning connector (and possibly a hair thinner because of that change).

Even iPad 2 is no where near obsolete. Unless someone just wants to impress others by being able to say they have the newest and latest. The current gen iPad is still amazing, no matter what Apple shows next week.

Now, if they do have a refresh that includes a larger 128GB model, then they may get my interest (I have a 64GB). Other than that, I will continue to skip generations as I always do with iOS devices.

4. ReValveiT macrumors regular

You have to wonder what the shops are going to do with their stocks of obsolete 30-pin 'old' new iPads. People will (rightfully) want the newer one regardless.

They can't just cut the price and sell below the latest model like they normally do.

Land fill?

5. frosse macrumors 6502a

I'm happy as long as they release a new iPad in March next year. It will be my first. :D

6. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I'm sorry. Is it Tuesday yet? Until Apple says anything, it's nothing but a RUMOR!

7. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

An update does not equal obsolete! All it means (if it happens at all) is you don't have the very latest thing which, in this case, is likely to mean you loose out on a couple of minor, almost inconsequential changes.

Good lord, the way people carry on you'd think Apple devices just stopped working when something new comes out. Your iPad will work just as well on Wednesday as it did on Monday, it's almost a certainty all apps will continue to work and nothing will have actually changed. It will certainly get iOS 7, it is almost guaranteed to get iOS8 so you've got at least another two years and change before it's "obsolete". Yeash :rolleyes:

8. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Meh, there are so much more 30pin accessories on the market right now, and not a single third-party Lightning accessory. The new one will charge faster, but that's about it. No need to be upset.

[​IMG]

9. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I pretty much agree with ya,my iPhone 5 is such a pain in the ass to find a charger when I'm not at home I'm not ready to do that with my iPad as well

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

If anything the new iPad will only be slightly faster in terms of CPU calculations. GPU performance will probably be the same. Also, same screen and same amount of RAM, so development wise they will essentially be the same target.

So apps will not be dropping iPad 3 support for a long while. At least not until iOS 9.

11. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

The chargers are so small you can practically keep one in your pocket when your out and about.

12. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Releasing a new 9.7" iPad at the same time as the Surface will be like a royal reaming for MicroSoft.

The Surface already lost much in the same way Windows Phone has.

The competition is influencing Apple, so this is good AFAIC.

13. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

i hope your talking about the ipad for March 2013 and not next weeks refresh.

14. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Welcome to android where devices get weeks to months upgrade! :rolleyes:

15. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

yea really.. lets hope Apple doesn't come to that.. Thats one of the reason i switched over to Apple... :rolleyes:

16. Jasper84 macrumors regular

It is kinda hard to keep up with apple devices, I'd just like to see them hold off come up with several new features and release a product with enough new features to warrant a upgrade. I can see how Samsung pokes fun in there ads, the déjà vu déjà vu déjà vu the app line comment and the earphone plugs in now at the bottom jab is pretty funny and true. You know at any moment that apples fandom could take a bad turn if the buyers feel that product quality doesn't live up to the days before Steve passed, the new iPod touch and more so nano didn't wow me the nano I think is flat out ugly just the iPhone scratching complaints purple halos unexplained consumption of data some ppl complaining about slow wifi speeds apple consumers have high standards and for the price they pay they should get what there paying for when your dealing in retail anything is possible I like apple devices and hope this never happens but it's possible

17. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Does lightning allow for faster charging time?

18. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Such a stupid thing to say. Surface is already sold out. Surface runs a real mobile OS. Something iOS aspires to be.

19. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I wonder who bought them out. :p

I'm just comparing it to the way WP8 has been handled so far.

I'll give MS one thing, the XBOX is wildly successful as a consumer product.

20. plucky duck macrumors 6502

I honestly could care less what happens to an existing hardware update after I've made my purchase. I've made my purchase because I am happy with what it offers me at that moment in time, and that fact doesn't change just because something else comes along. The iPad 3 offers me the same amount of utility now as it has the day I bought it.

I actually, for now, prefer the old 30pin cable over the lightning cable, as it is compatible with all of my existing accessories. Down the road when we slowly make the transition to future Apple product lines will this inconvenience fade away.

10hr battery life is more than enough for me, so if the new iPad improves in that aspect to 12/13hrs I would not feel short changed. I charge nightly so it's really a non issue for me.

21. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

If they update the LTE on current iPad that would be great for people in countries such as Australia, where the system is currently incompatible.

22. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Without numbers, selling out means nothing.

23. Jades macrumors 6502

24. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

If they do update with the new connector for the new iPad will Apple again refresh it in the beginning of the new year with a faster processor.

25. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

New Connector and A6 Chip :)