New iPhone 5 being banned before it is released??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VirgilB, Aug 23, 2012.

1. VirgilB macrumors newbie

Has anyone heard of the lawsuit with Motorola and the possible US ban on the iPhone 5, iPad mini, and new iPod touch?

2. Kyrra macrumors member

Google/moto will not be able to ask for a preliminary injunction until the device has been announced with a release date. Google may be able to say "unnamed upcoming iphone" or "all iphones", but it's hard to ban a product you don't know the details about yet.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I doubt they could get it done fast enough to affect the release, but then again you never know.

4. jj47 macrumors regular

At least I'll be able to get my hands on one in the UK!

But seriously I don't think this will affect the launch.

5. VirgilB thread starter macrumors newbie

"On Friday, Google’s Motorola Mobility filed a new lawsuit against Apple with the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) in Washington, seeking to ban the imports of virtually every Apple product into the U.S. At the time, the details of the filing weren’t public yet, but the ITC has now posted the full complaint online and we can finally get a better idea of the patents Apple allegedly violated. According to the complaint (embedded below), Motorola argues that Apple infringed upon seven Motorola patents: 5,883,580, 5,922,047, 6,425,002, 6,983,370, 6,493,673, 7,007,064 and 7,383,983.
    As expected, the lawsuit targets Apple’s iPod Touch 4, new iPod Touch 5, the iPhone 3GS, 4 and 4S, 5, the iPad 2 and the “new” iPad, as well as the Mac Pro, iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air and all other Apple devices “which utilize wireless communication technologies to manage various messages and content.”*In the complaint, Motorola also argues that Apple was fully aware of a number of these patents. Motorola is seeking a ban on current and upcoming apple products including the upcoming iPhone 5, iPod touch, and new mini iPad."

6. MACis122 macrumors regular

7. antman2295 macrumors 6502

Hahahahahhahaha! Like this will stop apple. They have how much money just lying around? The can easily make this go away, if they need to.

8. gta50419 macrumors 6502

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If this sincerely has an effect on whether one ought to get a new iPhone or an S3, perhaps he/she ought to just get the S3 now.

10. VirgilB thread starter macrumors newbie

Links to just a few of the news site. Some of this lawsuit could be finalized as early as August 24th and most all apple products released and unreleased including iPhone 5, iPod touch, and mini iPad could be banned as soon as August 24th and for the foreseeable future.

http://www.unwiredview.com/2012/08/21/here-are-the-7-patents-googlemotorola-is-going-after-apple-this-time/

http://m.techcrunch.com/2012/08/18/motorolas-patent-lawsuit-against-apple-targets-siri-location-reminders-email-notifications-more/

http://easternmorningherald.com/motorola-joins-fight-against-apple-with-new-lawsuit/1215393/

http://mobile.cioinsight.com/c/a/Latest-News/Apple-Put-on-Patent-Defensive-by-Googles-Motorola-Unit-Analysts-864106/

11. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

For someone who hasnt looked at the beef between Motorola and Apple...what's going on with this? It sounds like a pretty big deal

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Interesting.

I naturally assumed they were "just" Wifi / 3G comm patents, but after looking at them, they're not.

They deal with copying messages between apps, pausing media on one device and restarting it on another, receiving messages based on location, things like that.

One patent looks like it applies to the way Apple did app registration for push notifications.

I hope Apple hasn't opened Pandora's Box with all their software patent lawsuits.

Edit: ah, I see that VirgilB has already posted links to similar analysis. Thanks!

13. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I hope Apple thinks twice next time. They started this, now they need to fight it.

Who's gonna win? I put $5 on Google. Place your bets now.

14. VirgilB thread starter macrumors newbie

No problem, and Siri is also part of the patent lawsuit to.

15. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Apple, Google, Samsung, and Moto should all pick a representative to fight for the company. Four men enter, only one leaves. These lawsuits back and forth are getting stupid, and yes I totally acknowledge that apple started it.

16. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

17. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I'm sure it'll be a nonissue for Apple. Don't worry.

18. elementskins macrumors member

elementskins

If you truely believe that Apple, the worlds largest company by market value, will have all it's products banned from import into the US, I have an asteroid to sell you.

Or perhaps we should be shorting Apple stock today, because by your thinking, tomorrow they will be tanking.

19. ks-man macrumors 6502a

And in other business related news, Apple (the most valuable company in the world) can no longer sell any of their products in the US due to patent infringement. Tim Cook, CEO of Apple said, "What can I say, we aren't allowed to sell anything so how can we make money?" The stock price declined 90% in today's trading to $65/share.

I'm sure the headline will be coming across Bloomberg any moment. :rolleyes:

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Easy to pick this winner.

What company has more money?

There you go

21. skidbubble macrumors 6502

Good. Maybe Apple will finally get a taste of its own medicine.

22. VirgilB thread starter macrumors newbie

I for one hope this doesn't happen and that the iPhone 5 is released as planned and as originally designed before all this lawsuit stuff. I also hope the 5 will be able to remain unchanged through out its life. I have been eagerly awaiting being able to upgrade my 4 to a 5.

23. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Same could be said for the other 5120 other companies and persons involved in patent dispute cases. Apple didn't invent patent disputes. You just don't like to hear about them.

24. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Since I live in Canada, this would not affect me... As this would be a US ban only. So I'll make sure to share a bunch of my new iPhone pictures with you guys. ;)