new iphone 6s plus weighs more than old 6s plus

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Irony or not, I have seen phones scuffed badly by not cleaning the grit the gets between the case and phone. You have been around here long enough to know that.
Yeah that's why i take out my iPhone from case and clean it every day, simple 1 minute job

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Ok, I know this is kind of a stupid question, but today I bought a new iPhone 6s+ 32gb to replace a iPhone 6S+ 64GB bought new when they were released, and the new 32GB phone is heavier by about a solid 1/2 ounce heavier.

I know it's trivial, but can anyone shed some light?
You may be right but whether or not you can actually distinguish them is a different story.
No two manufactured objects weigh the same when you use a precision scale like a jewellers scale or better. Your first one could have weighed 168.8g and your second one could weigh 169.5g.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Irony or not, I have seen phones scuffed badly by not cleaning the grit the gets between the case and phone. You have been around here long enough to know that.
Yes, I know. It was a joke. :D
[doublepost=1488286504][/doublepost]
There was a different post there which got removed.
Yep. That person seemed to have anger management issues. :D

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
I'm going to be honest with you, I'm not following what you're referring to or what article. If you're referring to anything about the anodizing process having to do with the weight and the differences of the iPhones, there could be a likeliness of that.

The flaking/chipping is a manufacture defect with the temperature the aluminum was cured at, which plagued the 6S in a series of batches.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-plus-aluminium-chipping.1930678/
Yeah. That's what I'd read, that they'd improved the process on the newest 6s/6s+ batches due to that flaking issue.

I keep trying to find the article again but I can't seem to find it. Sorry about that.

I can't see it making much of a weight difference honestly but it was the only thing that I could think of.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Ok, I know this is kind of a stupid question, but today I bought a new iPhone 6s+ 32gb to replace a iPhone 6S+ 64GB bought new when they were released, and the new 32GB phone is heavier by about a solid 1/2 ounce heavier.

I know it's trivial, but can anyone shed some light?
Do you know this because it feels heavier or because you actually weighed them both with a tared scale?

All previous posts are assuming you've actually weighed it on a kitchen or baking scale.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire