new iphone 6s plus weighs more than old 6s plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vin2015, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Vin2015 macrumors member

Ok, I know this is kind of a stupid question, but today I bought a new iPhone 6s+ 32gb to replace a iPhone 6S+ 64GB bought new when they were released, and the new 32GB phone is heavier by about a solid 1/2 ounce heavier.

I know it's trivial, but can anyone shed some light?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Perhaps your old one wears, or perhaps the amount of metal material used is not the same? Idk.

3. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Why was the old one replaced if you don't mind me asking?

4. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

No, they weigh the same. Maybe something crazy is going on, but they're supposed to all weigh exactly the same

5. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

6. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

We weighed our three 7+ units at the office today and they were all the same. It was time to remove them from the cases and give them a bath!:)

8. iFalcon macrumors regular

Maybe your installed more apps on the new one thus adding additional weight.

LOL

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Here's a similar discussion that might perhaps be of some help: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/one-iphone-7-noticeably-heavier-than-another.2004816/

10. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

LOL! You have to take the case off in order to clean the device a case is supposed to protect. :D

Ahh, the irony! :D

11. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

This is definetely a stupid question: Why don't you just assume it's in your head and move on? I'd do that unless I weighed them both and then came to this conclusion. And even then there's really no point in finding out the reason. You can't change it anyway.

Maybe this is a more useful answer; there should be no difference.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Could be differences in the weight of aluminum or slightly varied difference in the composition of it.

13. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Yeah. That's why I was so curious about what happened to the old one. I wanted to know if it was a bend or body damage. I had heard that they slightly reinforced the 6s/6s+ on the 32GB one. I can't remember where I read it, it's probably not factual but it made me curious nonetheless.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The iPhone 6 uses the the 6000 Series aluminum, which resulted in the "Bend Gate." Apple strengthened the 6s/7 with the 7000 Series, which is a much stronger aluminum. It's the same aluminum used on the Apple Watch. It's fairly scratch resistant, light and very durable.

15. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I knew that. I meant that they they changed some process in the newest 6s release with the 32GB option.
    I know they changed from the 6.

Didn't the OP say they went from a 6s+ to another 6s+ though?

I'm trying my hardest to find the article again but it was something about the process. Now that I really think about it, it had something to do with the flaking on the anondization.

16. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

So you shower in your clothes? :)

17. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

No, but normal clothes aren't advertised as, nor designed to be a substitute for grooming.

A case, on the other hand, is often advertised as and designed to be something that protects from the elements (i.e., getting dirty).

I'm poking good natured fun at @Newtons Apple, who is an unapologetic case user, who often amicably defends against my anti-case using assaults. :D

18. GoSh4rks macrumors 6502

1/2 ounce using what capacity and precision scale? If you're using, for example, a cheap 10 pound scale would not be able to accurately determine if there actually is a 1/2 ounce difference between two items.

19. BigMcGuire, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Identical phones can feel heavier based on the type of case that they have. Since you mention specific weight differences, I imagine you have proof? A photo?

--- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2017 ---
    Sure made my day :).

20. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

There's no option to delete and my response wasn't worthy. :)

You've never seen this before?

21. PJM83 macrumors regular

PJM83

Easy! You weighed your old one with a empty battery and the new one fully charged...

22. cbreze macrumors 6502a

cbreze

The extra weight of the easter egg hidden inside. Or a half ounce of coke stashed in there.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I'm going to be honest with you, I'm not following what you're referring to or what article. If you're referring to anything about the anodizing process having to do with the weight and the differences of the iPhones, there could be a likeliness of that.

The flaking/chipping is a manufacture defect with the temperature the aluminum was cured at, which plagued the 6S in a series of batches.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-plus-aluminium-chipping.1930678/

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

There was a different post there which got removed.