Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
ive thought of something else - quick access to Wallet and Apple Pay.
I and many others i know love the double click of the home button to use wallet.
Can you imgine the clumsiness if this was on the back????

I double click with my finger on a mouse all the time, don't see the problem.

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
It's funny reading the comments. A lot of the commentators are all riled up over some mock iPhone models that are based off possible prototypes. It's like getting angry that Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker, and Ben Affleck as the Batman. Calm down people, can't we just wait until the final product is released?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I'm still not buying Touch ID on the back. It's just not ergonomic, and it doesn't seem like something Apple would do. Obviously I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

How would that even work as a home button? Pushing against the back with your index just wouldn't work. The thumb works because you're pushing the phone against your palm.

I believe it's just for TouchID. The home button as we know it may still be where we have it now, just embedded into the display.

Last edited:

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
It's funny reading the comments. A lot of the commentators are all riled up over some mock iPhone models that are based off possible prototypes. It's like getting angry that Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker, and Ben Affleck as the Batman. Calm down people, can't we just wait until the final product is released?

If we could wait then I guess this thread and website wouldn't exist. Why even come here? Thats said of course we get angry just look at that thing its hideous. Thats the best a almost Trillion Dollar company can do? I hope not..

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
they put the charger port in the bottom of the mouse and making it unusable when charging at this point i won't be surprised if the touch id is in the back of the device and the 7plus camera sideways looks ugly af
But that's not a big deal at all... two minutes of charging will last all day and it barely takes any time of charging to get weeks of battery life. It's a non-issue.
[doublepost=1495743542][/doublepost]
I believe it's just for TouchID. The home button as we know it may still be where we have it now, just embedded into the display.
I don't see how that's possible. How would the home button not interfere with anything that's full screen?

Mr Retina

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
Ill see y'all in 2018 when they properly put Touch ID under the front screen, and make OLED the standard for the screens without trying to up charge for deeper blacks ;)...

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
So so proud of Samsung for making such a beautiful phone! hmm Very interesting.
[doublepost=1495753062][/doublepost]
Relax everybody, there's no way that they'd put TouchID on the back. They leak those false prototypes so that everyone is stunned at the official presentation, so people will say yeap, that's worth +1000$. Strategy (at least so I hope).

Yeah Apple is so much more superior than Samsung because Apple is not going to put the Touch Id on the back but under the screen itself. C'mon dont you think Samsung would of place the finger scanner under the screen if it was possible at this date and time?

Reactions: jamesrick80

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Did anyone watch the video? Or read the article? Jesus people. The images are for reference and not depicted in the video. The iPhone in the video has no fingerprint scanner on the back and is secksy.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
it's a virtual Home Button. It's been in discussion for several months already. If you do a search you'll find it.
I'm well aware of the rumor. I'm saying it's silly and wouldn't work in reality. If you have a full screen app, there has to be a dedicated part of the screen for the home button. You can't just magically make it show up on the screen.

biscuit0819

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
This does not look good, it looks more like one of the early models rather then a step forward from the 7. The sensor on the back of the images look fugly too. Very strange how they've made it thicker, there must be some killer feature to justify that.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
I'm well aware of the rumor. I'm saying it's silly and wouldn't work in reality. If you have a full screen app, there has to be a dedicated part of the screen for the home button. You can't just magically make it show up on the screen.

Think of the track bar on the MBP or the dock on OSX perhaps it will work like that....Can't is a pretty strong word
[doublepost=1495813244][/doublepost]
This does not look good, it looks more like one of the early models rather then a step forward from the 7. The sensor on the back of the images look fugly too. Very strange how they've made it thicker, there must be some killer feature to justify that.

its thicker so they can make it thinner later :)

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
True... it will remain a mystery until revealed...

ElQben

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2014
The reason it looks "different" than the iPhone 8 (which will probably be called "Edition), is that the Chinese cloners have gotten hold of the iPhone 7S design. This is most likely the look of the 7S.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Think of the track bar on the MBP or the dock on OSX perhaps it will work like that....Can't is a pretty strong word
[doublepost=1495813244][/doublepost]

its thicker so they can make it thinner later :)
Then you wouldn't need to put Touch ID on the back. Do you see why none of this makes sense? If there's a dedicated area for the home button, then there's also a space for Touch ID. I don't see any scenario where it needs to be on the back.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Then you wouldn't need to put Touch ID on the back. Do you see why none of this makes sense? If there's a dedicated area for the home button, then there's also a space for Touch ID. I don't see any scenario where it needs to be on the back.
you will see... you remind me of those people who said you don't need a touch screen on a phone..... :)

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
you will see... you remind me of those people who said you don't need a touch screen on a phone..... :)
There's a huge fundamental difference there, but okay... if you're just going to discard every point I make by saying I remind you of people who know nothing about user interfaces, then I suppose you've already decided to end the conversation.

Touch ID on the back makes zero sense. Period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.