Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

HardMac claims that they have heard some interesting tidbits about future iPhones and iPods from their sources.
- The future iPhone models will have exactly the same shape and size than the current iPhone 3G, despite fakes and rumors circulating.
- Apple should refresh models for the iPod nano and Touch in september. Both should now include a camera, similarly to the iPhone.
The iPhone retaining it's current shape and size is perhaps consistent with the recent rumors from China, but the addition of a camera to the iPod Touch and iPod Nano is a new possibility.

A camera on the iPod Touch may make the most sense as it would bring the iPhone and iPod Touch closer together in terms of features. A camera addition to the iPod Nano, however, would be a surprise. There has been talk that Apple might be positioning video to be a killer feature in the next iPhones, and this could be an extension of that.

Meanwhile, some Best Buy inventory screenshots reveal some product placeholders for something called "Project Charlie". Some are speculating that this could be the new iPhone, but we have our doubts of the significance of this. In the past, it's been shown that Best Buy frequently adds inventory items without any insider knowledge.

Article Link: New iPhone and iPod Touch Details? iPod to Get Camera?

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Ooooh. Sounds interesting. However, why would they add a camera to the iPod Touch. Yes, it would be nice, but you dont want to give to many similarities between the iPhone and iPod Touch. Then what would be the incentive to get an iPhone, if your iPod Touch can do almost all the things an iPhone can do? It doesn't seem like a good move from a business stand point, but its great for consumers.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Camera on the nano? Weiiiird.

However, why would they add a camera to the iPod Touch.

The touch is essentially a PDA, and with apps like Facebook and Twitter (with TwitPic), it would be a welcome feature on the touch. The nano on the other hand is kooky.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The iPhone's current form seems pretty much spot on. I don't think anyone has a problem with how it looks or feels (other than the plasticness, but you're not going to get rid of that now, this is a mass market device).

All they can do is bump up internal specification of the hardware really, and that's all they need to do.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
The iPhone's current form seems pretty much spot on. I don't think anyone has a problem with how it looks or feels (other than the plasticness, but you're not going to get rid of that now, this is a mass market device).

All they can do is bump up internal specification of the hardware really, and that's all they need to do.

Here's hoping for better processing power and a better lasting battery.

Big money big money no whammy no whammy....

Anyways, I dislike the back of the 3g. But you're absolutly right, they won't do away with it.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Uh...why not?

I'm pretty sure Apple makes a profit from selling an iPod.

Well sure, they'll make money irregardless. But if you shorten the gap between the iPod Touch and iPhone then you reduce the incentive to get an iPhone. However, I see your point. They make money one way or another.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Ooooh. Sounds interesting. However, why would they add a camera to the iPod Touch. Yes, it would be nice, but you dont want to give to many similarities between the iPhone and iPod Touch. Then what would be the incentive to get an iPhone, if your iPod Touch can do almost all the things an iPhone can do? It doesn't seem like a good move from a business stand point, but its great for consumers.

A camera is so NOT an incentive at all for me to consider an iPhone over a Touch. Not at all... i don't get that argument.

The basis for that decision - for me is:

1. do i want the monthly BILL that comes with a phone? How long term stable is my income level. 2 years ago when i got my current smartphone i never thought i'd be where i am today in that area. Locking into a high price for 2 years is a scary thought.

2. what carrier is it on? In my case AT&T would be a bad choice since everyone i call is on Verizon.

But it's NEVER been, hey, i'm getting the iPhone over the Touch because it has a camera. Of course, i rarely use the camera on my phone now...

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to see a camera added, but in today's economy Apple wants units sold, so there can be Apps bought. The addition of the camera might help increase Touch sales, and allow some people to not break their budgets by entering a contract for 2 years.

I hope it's true - i just wish it wasn't a September thing.

skidoo99

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
Elgin, IL
With the 3.0 software developers will have access to the port on the iphone and ipod touch. Is there anything stopping someone like Verizon from making an adapter for their high speed data network? Couple the touch with Sykpe (or a similar program) and high speed data access and there isn't much of need to get an iPhone.

Shiner

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Well sure, they'll make money irregardless. But if you shorten the gap between the iPod Touch and iPhone then you reduce the incentive to get an iPhone. However, I see your point. They make money one way or another.

I am still missing your point. Who cares if the incentive to purchase the iphone goes down?

liveccam

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
Its always nice to see the Touch improved upon. I bought it specifically to use as a PDA on wifi and it hasn't been a disappointment. The Iphone and it's insane monthly charges for cellular and data access just isn't worth the price or the hassle of the contract. With many great apps unusable over 3G anyway, why bother? I can't wait to see a Touch with a faster CPU, more memory, and perhaps a camera.

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
If they keep this plastic back on the iPhone I hope they at least changed a bit of it to make it more sturdier and prevent it from cracking..

I wish it was some kind of grip as seen in earlier rumors. That would be a lot more useful.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Yeah, you're thinking like AT&T. But they don't have any say in this.

I don't think Apple really cares if you buy an iPhone or an iPod, as long as you pick one of the two.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009

Not trying to be a jerk but i'm a grammar nazi, so please put up with me. :eek:

"Irregardless" doesn't make sense. It would be "regardless".

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Always the same comments

Why is it that when ever the iPod touch is rumored to get a feature which is the same as the iphone that people always comments on this damaging profit for Apple. It is the phone companies which want you to choose the iphone over the touch. I'm sure that Apple profit both ways.

Bring on data plans and cameras for the ipod touch.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
front facing camera for video chat calls........thats all i am asking for...

i know its coming..question is what year...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.