Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
A camera in both would be cool but I'd like to see the iPhone OS in the Nano iPod. Getting the iPhone OS in any other form factor other than that similar to the G2 iPhone would be awesome!

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
camera? Yesh!

now all I need is a 3g modem to connect through the dock connector :cool:

I think Apple is starting to push the touch more in the gaming direction. We got a hint of it when it was touted as the "funnest ipod ever". With the release of the new 3.0 SDK it allows a gamepad to work with App store games. So a camera is no surprise since the DSi and rumored PSP has one. I do think that the new touch will completely branch off of the iPhone with better graphics, processing,ram,etc to compete more with the gaming market.

Oh and camera on the nano I can kinda see. The shuffle was showed that Apple is over buttons. So I can see the next nano being one big screen. They already have tiny keychain cameras much smaller then the nano. So I do not see how that will be so far fetched.

vancexxx

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
I'll echo that!

Twitter and Facebook become much more useful with that. The speaker wasn't all that compelling to upgrade...but add in the camera and I'll be trading in my 1st Gen 8GB for a 3rd Gen immediately!

Me three!
I can't wait for the new ipod touch and regardless of having a camera or not (although i strongly hope this is true) i'll switch onto the 3rd gen. I hope and think it's a June event, or whenever the new iPhone comes out, the ipod touch usually gets an upgrade the same time, not with the rest of the ipods.

If they also raise the bar with capacity, maybe they'll lower the prices and i, for one, don't need more than 8 gb. I need better battery life however.

I'm not buying that "iphone/ipod touch nano" crap. i do believe there might be a cheaper iphone coming out, but not smaller or worse. At best, they'll keep the 3G on the market as the "entry level" one, like they did with the Macbook White.

Over and out.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Ooooh. Sounds interesting. However, why would they add a camera to the iPod Touch. Yes, it would be nice, but you dont want to give to many similarities between the iPhone and iPod Touch. Then what would be the incentive to get an iPhone, if your iPod Touch can do almost all the things an iPhone can do? It doesn't seem like a good move from a business stand point, but its great for consumers.

In my opinion, the iPhone having a phone functionality should be enough to differentiate the 2.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
In my opinion, the iPhone having a phone functionality should be enough to differentiate the 2.

Too bad that the voice quality of the iPhone isn't a very convincing arguement for most people to switch carriers/ phones. Maybe the new version will be better, but if "its a phone" is its only leg to stand on, most won't switch. I'd rather have my phone with great phone quality and an iPod Touch than a phone that can do both, with less quality when combined.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I really don't get where you're claiming 'insane' data rates. I'm not paying any more now than I was with my old non-iPhone unit from AT&T/Cingular and that was WELL below $100.
I can't answer for the poster but to me, the "insane" data rates moniker fits rather well.

Prices are "insane" because they are far, far above what it actually costs the cell provider to maintain and provide the service (orders of magnitude higher).

They are also "insane" if (like many), you never had a smartphone before and were used to paying about $20 a month for a cell and now you have to pay $70. That's more than three times the price for the average first time buyer, just to get the iPhone as opposed to their former phone.

genmic

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Not only does it not make sense; it's not a word.

Actually it is a word:

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose...

from... Webster

Irregardless, it's still annoying...

And I will be so disappointed if the new iPhone isn't an improved design over the 3G glossy plastic :(

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
People keep mentioning the dock connector and OS 3.0. Just any old dev can't make something that works with the dock connector. In order to use it the device HAS TO go through the "Made For iPod" program and the app is tied to that device. So a generic gamepad won't work (under the current rules) because the pad needs to (a) be "Made For iPod" and (b) have a specific app tied to it. I don't know if Verizon would go through the trouble of the investment in putting together an iPod Touch dock connector device to allow 3G data on the iPod. And since it would have to work WITH AN APP, once you quit that app you lose the connectivity, so you can't run your other network-centric apps while using the Verizon "connection" app. Worthless. I know a lot of people are excited about dock connector being open, but it's not as open as people think.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Great news, I'm surprised the iPod nano may get a camera. Looks like camera/video will be a big thing in the 2009 iPod/iPhone refresh.

Meanwhile, some Best Buy inventory screenshots reveal some product placeholders for something called "Project Charlie". Some are speculating that this could be the new iPhone, but we have our doubts of the significance of this. In the past, it's been shown that Best Buy frequently adds inventory items without any insider knowledge.
Mini-tablet? :rolleyes: :D

a camera on the nano? what about the classic then?
The rumor didn't mention the iPod classic…

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
Now, remember those rumors about 3.2 MP and 5 MP cameras?

How about the iPhone gets the 5 MP and the iPod Touches get the 3.2 (now in June or maybe later in September)?

Screw those Chinese rumors a few days ago and at the moment I don't think that the nano really needs a camera.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
People keep mentioning the dock connector and OS 3.0. Just any old dev can't make something that works with the dock connector. In order to use it the device HAS TO go through the "Made For iPod" program and the app is tied to that device. So a generic gamepad won't work (under the current rules) because the pad needs to (a) be "Made For iPod" and (b) have a specific app tied to it.

Yes I know it would have to be approved by Apple but are you sure about (b) if a company like Belkin came out with a gamepad there would be no way for game developers to have their games tie in with it?

I don't know if Verizon would go through the trouble of the investment in putting together an iPod Touch dock connector device to allow 3G data on the iPod. And since it would have to work WITH AN APP, once you quit that app you lose the connectivity, so you can't run your other network-centric apps while using the Verizon "connection" app.

I can dream can't I ;) Oh well there is always mifi I guess I wait until the price comes down on that :(

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
That's what I've been holding out for--the iPod Touch with a camera.:D
No me but if they upgrade the processor and memory and make the bluetooth usable it just might. what would be killer is a slightly bigger screen say 6inch. that would still be pocketable and easier to look at.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Since we're only one year into our iPhone 3Gs, there's probably very little motivation for me to try to do an early upgrade.

Digital compass? Eh, fun but not earth-shattering.

FM radio/transmitter? Would be nice, but there are many apps that stream FM stations, or just other media in general, and as for the transmitter, I've got Bluetooth with A2DP, so it's working out well even in the car with my Motorola T505.

Higher megapixel camera? Nice, but again, is it worth the early upgrade costs and efforts?

More capacity? 32GB is nice, but I have a hard time filling up 16GB as it is, even with a bunch of movies. It's also very time consuming to watch it sync up that much stuff.

More battery life? I'm speculating on this one, but I'm hearing the next-gen iPhone will retain the same shape, and I just bought a mophie Juice Air Pack, so I'll be OK still.

Video recording? If this was only in the next-gen iPhone, it's a slight possibility. I've lived without it for two years, and I've dealt with workarounds such as my own trusty digital camera.

Front-facing camera? We haven't heard anything on this front, but if there's any indication we could have videoconferencing via iChat, Skype, or some other program in the App Store, I would upgrade both me and my wife the same week.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
The iPhone's current form seems pretty much spot on. I don't think anyone has a problem with how it looks or feels (other than the plasticness, but you're not going to get rid of that now, this is a mass market device)

Err... I do. I hate the curvature of the 3G vs the 2G.

Phazer

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
They are also "insane" if (like many), you never had a smartphone before and were used to paying about $20 a month for a cell and now you have to pay $70. That's more than three times the price for the average first time buyer, just to get the iPhone as opposed to their former phone.

I guess I'm lucky then, I didn't have a smart phone before, and I'm only paying $10/month more now than I was with my previous phone.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
What makes you think it is? There's at least a reasonable chance that it's a June thing.

September is the traditional month for iPod updates. 3.0 software will most likely be available in June and new models in September.

As for the camera issue, I'd love to see a 3mp camera added to the touch. My old Sony PDA had a camera, so why not the iPod touch? Many of us use it as a PDA replacement.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Ooooh. Sounds interesting. However, why would they add a camera to the iPod Touch. Yes, it would be nice, but you dont want to give to many similarities between the iPhone and iPod Touch. Then what would be the incentive to get an iPhone, if your iPod Touch can do almost all the things an iPhone can do? It doesn't seem like a good move from a business stand point, but its great for consumers.

It's a phone, gps, internet everywhere.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
People keep mentioning the dock connector and OS 3.0. Just any old dev can't make something that works with the dock connector. In order to use it the device HAS TO go through the "Made For iPod" program and the app is tied to that device.

Exactly. So you're more likely to get accessories from larger accessory making companies, and large companies that want to create an accessory for their app / vice versa.

It is closed up (partly to stop hoi polloi from seeing information about it perhaps?) tight currently. Even if just Nike got involved it would be big. I'd side with Daniel Eran Dilger's point of view on this one.

One app could interact with multiple sensors - In app pay per additional type of sensor. Or free app, price is with the accessory.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
If the iPod is getting a camera my bet would be then that a new iPhone model will be released at WWDC and then a few months later the iPod Touch will be updated. That's how they did it before when first releasing the iPod Touch, a few months later. From a sales point of view that gives more focus on the iPhone then before that starts to settle the iPod is debuted.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
The MAJOR differentiating feature between the iPhone and the iPod Touch is not the phone (that comes for "free"), but the data plan that comes with iPhones. Any app that uses the Internet instantly becomes more useable on the iPhone because you don't have to go looking around for a WiFi hotspot feeling frustrated. You can also use the app in the car.

I remember I had the original iPhone for about 7 months on T-Mobile (unlocked myself) but my parents didn't let me get the $6 data plan to use EDGE. I always felt miserable if I wasn't in an area with a WiFi network.

Believe me, even if the iPod Touch had complete feature parity with the iPhone, that glaring difference still exists with the lack of always on internet.

Ditto. Not having "constant" access like the iPhone is a breaker to some people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.