Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

105311-iphone_4_top_corner_view.jpg

Electronista reports on a new research note from Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu claiming that Apple is set to launch new iPhone form factors in the relatively near future, offering different screen sizes in at least of pair of models bracketing the current iPhone's market position.
Analyst Shaw Wu has stated that supply chain checks indicate signs of new form factor iPhones under development, including both larger and smaller touchscreens than the iPhone 4's current 3.5-inch screen size. According to Kaufman Bros sources, the new models could be both a new high-end addition and a new low-end model. While noting that Apple traditionally ships new iPhone models on an annual cycle, Wu speculates that the models under development could ship much sooner.
Rumors of an "iPhone nano" were prevalent in the early days of the handset, but there has been only minor chatter about such a device since a wave of rumors peaked in early 2009.

Wu has a very poor track record when it comes to Apple rumors, and thus we are posting this on Page 2 primarily for interest and discussion.

Article Link: New iPhone Form Factors Coming Soon?

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
While I obviously think this prediction is just a load of crap, I would NOT mind a larger screen on the iPhone. Not too big to comfortably carry in a pocket or hold up to my ear. A 4.5" would be nice, I think. Definitely not a nano-sized phone.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
4" screen in 16:9 format would be nice. I don't find 3.5" too big.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Why would Apple do what has failed all other manufactures during the time Apple's one model mantra have eaten sales from other manufactures?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Yes, because SO many iPhone 4 users are crying out that it’s just a little too small or a little too big! :p That’s a problem worth throwing vast sums of money and development resources at, not to mention customer confusion and loss of simplicity. Be more like Dell :)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Why would Apple do what has failed all other manufactures during the time Apple's one model mantra have eaten sales from other manufactures?

So the iPod Nano and Shuffle are failures in the same context?

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa
While I obviously think this prediction is just a load of crap, I would NOT mind a larger screen on the iPhone. Not too big to comfortably carry in a pocket or hold up to my ear. A 4.5" would be nice, I think. Definitely not a nano-sized phone.

i support THIS!

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Ok... do people actually make money sitting around going "I think company X is going to release product Y soon." or is there more to it than that?

Because if that's all they do....................... then I predict MURDEROUS RAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGEEEEEE

newtonrj

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Vaporware

It appears more of a ghost than any real product. If they wanted a bigger screen, it would have made more sense in the iPod Touch. That device would bridge the user-gap between iPad better than a larger iPhone.

As for smaller iPhone, can't really say what I'd be happy to do without for the sake of size. If calling was core, would I give up app store? browsing? movies? music? camera? Retina? battery? accessories?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
No, I'm not talking about MP3 players I'm talking about phones. Nokia and Sony Ericsson, for example, is losing market share while Apple is gaining it from them.

Yes, but your point was that Apple will fail like other manufactures if they introduce different form factors. That isn't the case with the iPod selection.

Your point doesn't really hold much ground.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
No way in hell. They've already asked their developers to change app resolutions once. 3 screen sizes will never fly with developers.

99.999% likelihood of this being total nonsense.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Yes, but your point was that Apple will fail like other manufactures if they introduce different form factors. That isn't the case with the iPod selection.

Your point doesn't really hold much ground.

I think it does, all other manufactures are spitting out models every month and Apple has two models that they sell every year and they sell more then these other manufactures. Why change that? Can Apple succeeded at selling more models when nobody else can?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I find it funny how investors continue to trust these "analyst" even though none of them have any insider information and are wrong 90% of the time, the other 10% of the time they have been correct was from publishing rumors as facts from stories they more likely read here on MacRumors regarding future products.

https://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/06/early-apple-tv-sales-estimated-at-1-million-per-quarter/

like this guy "Alex Gauna" who called 20 Apple Stores around the country and already determined that the new Apple TV is selling at a rate of 1 millions units a quarter, even thought Apple Stores never give out any information of how many units have been received or sold.

how do these people still have jobs?

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
iPhone Nano - YEAH!

I've got my iPad for all other iOS uses. Just want a Nano-sized widget to provide phone ability (esp. when not carrying the iPad). iPod Nano functionality & width/height, allow iPhone thickness, add cellphone module + Bluetooth.

iPhone is overkill for me now in light of iPad ... but I still need a phone. Back to basics, repackage.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
No way in hell. They've already asked their developers to change app resolutions once. 3 screen sizes will never fly with developers.

99.999% likelihood of this being total nonsense.

its possible to have a 10" iPad and a 7" inch iPad, as long as they both have the same resolution, screen size doesn't really matter to developers, they wouldn't have to change anything on their apps. Same goes for the iPhone/iPod touch, Apple could have multiple screen sizes, but still keep the same resolution for all of their devices.

that being said, I don't believe Apple will make multiple sizes.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I think it does, all other manufactures are spitting out models every month and Apple has two models that they sell every year and they sell more then these other manufactures. Why change that? Can Apple succeeded at selling more models when nobody else can?

Okay, is this rumour stating that Apple will be spitting out new models every month? No.

It'll be a yearly cycle. iPhone Nano, iPhone Classic, iPhone XL or something.

Apple offers more than one size of laptop, iMac and iPods. Seems to work well right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.