Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2 Replies

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Why would Apple do what has failed all other manufactures during the time Apple's one model mantra have eaten sales from other manufactures?

:confused:
I'd stop to think about what you're saying before you speak. Maybe check the stats from anytime this year.
The iPhone does not have a majority of the share in the smartphone market.

As of Q1 2010, RIM had a commanding lead over iPhone; http://www.appleinsider.com/article...e_three_times_greater_than_android_in_us.html
Other more recent reports show'd RIM slipping, but still higher than iOS. This one also show Nokia as having an even greater lead than both.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/apple-iphone-smartphone-market-share-surges-rim-slips/34181
And the MOST recent data (as of yesterday) has Android beating iOS; http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/10...and-iphone-among-recent-smartphone-purchases/

"Fail"? HA, Hardly. :rolleyes:

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Because now Android with a range of sizes is eating iPhone sales.

Go into a Best Buy and look at all the Androids with larger screens, and some with smaller screens and lower prices. Apple needs to compete with that...

:confused:
I'd stop to think about what you're saying before you speak. Maybe check the stats from anytime this year.
The iPhone does not have a majority of the share in the smartphone market.

As of Q1 2010, RIM had a commanding lead over iPhone; http://www.appleinsider.com/article...e_three_times_greater_than_android_in_us.html
Other more recent reports show'd RIM slipping, but still higher than iOS. This one also show Nokia as having an even greater lead than both.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/apple-iphone-smartphone-market-share-surges-rim-slips/34181
And the MOST recent data (as of yesterday) has Android beating iOS; http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/10...and-iphone-among-recent-smartphone-purchases/

"Fail"? HA, Hardly. :rolleyes:

Well, Android is on a lot of handsets sure but is a wide majority of handsets selling or is it a few top of the line phones?

Also iPhone is still bigger than Android worldwide.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Because having only one model is a failure in and of itself!

Why would Apple do what has failed all other manufactures during the time Apple's one model mantra have eaten sales from other manufactures?

Besides there is no correlation here. Many of those manufactures have failed due to having multiple poor models. It really doesn't matter if you have dozens of models if each one has crappy and different software.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Two new models, a "high end" and a smaller "low end" model???

Already exists. They are called the 8gb iPhone 3GS for $99, and the 32gb iPhone 4 for $299.

Next year, there will be an iPhone 4 with 8gb for $99, and the iPhone 5 will take over the $199/$299 spots with new, fantastic features. :)

How much cheaper does Apple need to make the phone to entice buyers? What can they do to make a more expensive phone for "high end" customers? Make it gold-plated, or possibly an iPhone with 24" spinner rims?

I agree with everyone else here, Shaw Wu should stop being a fake analyst and get to work at his new, more appropriate job— asking me if I want fries with that.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
First off this means more opportunity for developers to make money.

No way in hell. They've already asked their developers to change app resolutions once. 3 screen sizes will never fly with developers.

99.999% likelihood of this being total nonsense.

More importantly if developers where paying attention they would have heard Apples very strong suggestion to avoid dependecies on screen size and resolution. Something Apple has been suggesting for years now.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Even if your info was correct, more models would mean even more sales.

I think it does, all other manufactures are spitting out models every month and Apple has two models that they sell every year and they sell more then these other manufactures. Why change that? Can Apple succeeded at selling more models when nobody else can?
First off Apple isn't even close to first in sales, so your thoughts are based on faulty data. Second even if they where first in sales selling even more hardware is better. Given the right features more models simply means more sales.

smartbot

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
One possibility is that they could go to a 3.7" and still keep the 960x640 resolution. This would allow for a larger screen and it could still maintain it's "retina" display at ~311 pixels per inch (if I did my math right :eek:). I'm sure they could tweak some apps like Safari to take advantage of the larger screen size (without breaking 3rd party apps that are already built for the 960x640 resolution).

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah I don't think Apple needs to bend over backwards for developers on keeping the screen at 3.5". Developers that want to make money will naturally make apps to adjust, say if Apple sells 3 million 4" screen device in 3 months.

I welcome the bigger screen if Apple can maintain the same retina display quality and just as thin as the iPhone 4. I would easily pay another $100 - 200 for the additional screen real estate. The HTC and Samsung phones are way too thick for my taste. And I also think that a redesign of the iPhone front screen is way over due. It's been the same in 4 generations.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
First off Apple isn't even close to first in sales, so your thoughts are based on faulty data. Second even if they where first in sales selling even more hardware is better. Given the right features more models simply means more sales.

In the US they aren't but in the rest of the world they are.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Unbelievably narrow mindedness seen in this thread.

I mean really people do you think iPhone and by extension Apple is permantly tied to just one screen size? Do you realize how stupid that would be from the standpoint of running a competitive business? Beyound that should Apple give up potential sales, to people with different needs, just to keep a bunch of thin skinned people happy with respect to their iPhone purchase?

In anyevent please stop the whinning about developers, if they followed Apples guide lines their apps would work fine on the new model. In fact many people in these forums really should just shut up until they read the developer documentation.

Second; I personally find the idea of a slightly larger iPhone to bevery attractive. Considering the comments in the thread many other people do too. Why is pretty straight forward, more info on screen or real estate. This doesn't even have to lead to a massively bigger device either. Length might be impacted only modestly and maybe an 1/8 to a 1/4" wider. Adding one or two rows of text while editing and cutting down on scrolling would be huge. In the end the aspect ratio would be wider and allow for better video play back.

The important thing is enhanced usability which i think many here are underestimating in importance. For many the current iPhone screen represents a compromise in size (most cell phone screens are) but as technology moves forward supporting bigger screens becomes far easier. The GPUs in the ARM SoC are now to the point where they can drive just about any sized screen (pixel count). So technology has removed many of the barriers to larger screens. It then becomes an issue of salability of the device. Comments in this thread indicate strong demand for a slightly larger model so I don't see a problem.

Conversely the ability to produce a smaller cell phone is like wise driven by technology. The demands and requirements are different here though. I suspect many would be willing to give up some of iPhones smart phone features but yet retaing some of the advantages. One big one is the very clean syncing that a small iPhone would have to support. Honestly the device doesn't even needs to support the same GUI as the market is different. Here customers are more interested in ultra portable small devices. Apple can be as successful here as they are with smart phones simply by paying atention to details. The should be as the market for these devices is huge, far larger than smart phones.

Dave

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Wu still has a job?!?

It's official, there is absolutely no silver lining to the global financial collapse...

Rocketman

macrumors 603
No way in hell. They've already asked their developers to change app resolutions once. 3 screen sizes will never fly with developers.

99.999% likelihood of this being total nonsense.

It is not necessary to change screen resolution to miniaturize the device. An iPad for example is the opposite of dense graphics to the degree shrinking it could maintain the same resolution even at 6-7" diagonal.

An "iPhone nano" could have the same screen resolution as an iPhone 3GS and be the size of a bit over an iPod nano. Like the current iPod Nano x2 or so.

I agree having too many resolutions is a problem, mainly for bit flipping applications like games and fixed I/O display apps.

In all these years true screen size independence has not happened, so I am not holding my breath now either, since Apple has been dumbing down or crippling the CPU, graphics, and memory.

Whatever China wants is what Apple is making. Yes Verizon will have LTE/CDMA handsets, but AT&T will have LTE/GSM handsets and will maintain market dominance where their service does not have holes. Verizon will exploit captured clients and areas where AT&T service is lacking.

Once LTE is turned on the entire estimate where those zones are will change because the easiest way for AT&T to poach Verizon clients is to offer what they want. LTE/something slower, modern handsets, post-sale service.

Verizon customer service is widely hated.

Rocketman

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I can see different form factors. Apple at some point does have to up the ante as no other phone maker uses their "one size fits all" approach. If say they dared to offer a model with a physical keyboard that may facilitate a reason for different screen sizes. Though I still kind of take the stance that the physical keyboard is the two button mouse issue all over again. I'd love a physical keyboard though! My thumbs always hit the space key, the n, the erase key...

But if Apple really wants to compete with Android's adoption, having a few other devices to appeal to more users would be smart. But not holding my breath.

dainja

macrumors member
May 21, 2009
Apps all run in the same format and screen size. Even the new retina display is only an enlargement of the original format, but shown at the higher resolution. Apps running on the iPad run at the native format, or specifically for the iPad format, which is different code.

If Apple introduced a different sized screen, that would be a pain to the installed base and app developer. For this reason, I don't think it is true.

Not a very good argument IMO... They could maintain the same resolution and have a smaller or larger screen size.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
The "Three Phase Cycle"

1) Rumors circulate about a "new" size of iPad, or iPhone (for example).

2) Fan-boys immediately become emotional and negative, spewing hate, denial, and opinions on why it's a really bad Idea.

3) Rumors turn to reality, Uncle Steve blesses it. Suddenly like a miracle, the fan-boys do an about face, sucking up to Uncle Steve and heaping praise on the "Brilliant Idea Invented By Apple".

What a Hilarious, Goofy Kind of Entertainment the Fan-Boys provide... :)

Two new models, a "high end" and a smaller "low end" model???

Already exists. They are called the 8gb iPhone 3GS for $99, and the 32gb iPhone 4 for $299.

Close, but not so much.

Two models, that are so close to each other in form factor, functionality, and usefulness, that it's not the same as high end, low end.

The rumor if true will bring momentum back to Apple, something they could use about now. Oh sure, the current product is selling quite well, but under very well manipulated and fabricated "facts".

Apple is the master of marketing, hype, manipulation and getting what they want (read "Apple Tax"). They are also smart enough to know that they must freshen up the iPhone beyond the "wow" factor which wears off quickly.

LeoNobilis

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2006
The Netherlands
3.5", or even 4" - is too small for a smartphone of iPhone's capability! HTC has been very prudent launching the Desire HD (the best HTC device to date) and similar 4+" screen smartphones. Apple has to amend the iPhone design (e.g., both screen-to-device dimensions and overal screen size. Else, of course, the iPhone 4 is a beauty). A 4.5" to 5.5" screen would be most welcome. The current screen size will do for women, children and midgets, but not for the likes of myself.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
In anyevent please stop the whinning about developers, if they followed Apples guide lines their apps would work fine on the new model. In fact many people in these forums really should just shut up until they read the developer documentation.

Dave

Yep if you read even just the human interface guidelines Apple's message to developers is 'think of the user's or don't bother being here'. Then there is a remarkable number of cases where the app will have it window sized clipped to suit something else happening on the device already, so it's not like any developer can claim ignorance.

I think Apples next move would be to make the screen longer.
What with screens like PixelQi getting up to a good high veiwing angles and the iPhone being a device you don't tend to turn off. A screen that looks great backlight on or off, albeit with very different moods, would really suit. If the screen can always show something for little or no power cost then you don't need a button to activate the screen. If your only going to turn on the screen backlight for special programmed events, then they don't need to be worried about pocket touches as much either.

Take the home button away stretch the screen down to fill the space. The extra space in common usage is the multitasking dock and the status bar up the top. That way all apps would just work as they do now at the same res except less space pinching from the OS. In Portrait mode the keyboard would use the dock space giving more viewing space. Same with standard video views they would know to how to use the full screen and apps would get that with minimal work to.

And that is only one Option of how they could go, I'm sure there are many more they just haven't made it out in to nerd space news.

I could see them doing two models one a we bit smaller with same screen resolution and button but sneak say 5mm off the width and length, and one with longer screen in the same case size. If they do two models they'll release them both at the same time and run a yearly cycle.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Just get it over with and allow variable screen sizes.

Apple's had resolution independence implemented in one form or another since Tiger, but it was only available for developers. I wouldn't hold my breath that they suddenly decide, 4 years later, that it should be released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.