New iPhone most likely going back to aluminum?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Jan 27, 2010.

?

Do you think the next-gen iPhone will have an aluminum casing design?

1. Yes

46.0%
  2. No

54.0%
  1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

With the current MacBook Pro line, iMac, and new iPad having an aluminum casing, this only leads me to believe that the iPhone will go back to something similar to the original iPhone design.

I don't know if it'll be the exact same design, but perhaps something very similar. Maybe it'll be a black aluminum and come in silver as well?

Not sure, but I think the chances of an aluminum iPhone are very high now. What do you think?

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Aluminum is pretty, but I can't see them doing anything to reduce the iPhone's 3G reception.

3. Screwtape macrumors regular

Assuming that the 3G-enabled iPad looks the same (as in, no plastic strip on the back like rumors pointed to) I guess we can assume that Apple has found a way around the aluminum interfering with the reception. If that's the case, it would make sense for them to go back to aluminum, if, for any reason, to match the rest of their product line.

4. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Well the first one was already aluminum, I guess they didn't like it.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The iPad has a huge black band around the screen, which I would assume is not just for looks.

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Have you guys not looked at Apple's gallery? The 3G-enabled iPad's have a black strip at the top of the device, probably .5" wide and nearly as wide as the device itself.

7. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I sure hope it goes back to aluminium. I hate the plastic so much. Every iPhone 3G and 3GS develops cracks as it is.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I want the feel and look of the 1st Gen back! Please make it so!

9. Paul B macrumors 6502

Plastic looks nicer imo. I really hope they don't go back to the 2G styling.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then you need to spend time with a 1st Gen iPhone. You will notice the difference from cheap plastic to high grade and quality Aluminum.

11. Paul B macrumors 6502

The 2G was my first iPhone. It was great but I love my 3GS and would never go back. Just personal preference, that's all.

12. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

+1. it makes the iPhone classier but what a waste, it blocks reception and will cause users to bitch and moan again.

13. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I doubt it. The iPhone's external design will remain the same.

14. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Apple kept the same external design from the 3G to the 3GS, they're going to have to change it up this year.

15. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I think that's incredibly unlikely. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve considers keeping it the same last time as a major blunder. No way to show off your new iPhone.

I would love the styling to be much more 2G like all round, but I'm afraid I'm not willing to bet it will do.

Phazer

16. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i really hope so, but it all depends on how much interference the metal causes to the cell radios. if the plastic stripe works for the iPad, however, i don't see why it couldn't work for the next iPhone.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The 1st Gen iPhone's casing + 3GS guts is a great win.

I never had reception problem with my 1st Gen. I always enjoyed full bars, except when deep inside a thick wall building and even then I had 2-3 bars.

18. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

I hope aluminium is back

I loved the look of the iPhone 1.0 I have the 3g and although its nice for a phone the aluminium was sweet. I would love the new iPhone to have a nice aluminium back with a plastic bit for all the antenna.
    Maybe like the new iMacs Apple could use the logo as a spot for the various antena :)

19. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, I notice that the plastic feels much nicer to hold in your hand.

I admit that the first iPhone looked better in photos, but in real life the advantages stop.

21. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I would love to see Apple go back to the aluminum backing of the 1st and 2nd gen iPhone. When I had my 1st gen iPhone, I loved it. Not that I despise my white 3G, but I prefer the aluminum look.

22. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

It'd be nice to see a black or white glossy aluminum iphone.

23. ichrisers macrumors member

how about

both plastic and aluminum ::))))) sweetnesss

:apple: i-c

24. duncanapple macrumors 6502

I agree with the above - the aluminum was a far nicer phone. It had some heft which, like a nice watch, gave you the feeling it was a little nicer. Plus, I didn't need to keep a case on it and it looked perfect the day I sold it 2 years later for the same as it cost me new ($400).

While the new phone is no doubt more capable, its a scratch magnet and not nearly as durable when dropped (which happens to us all at some point) or squished in a pocket.

A good solution imo, is to go back to aluminum. Keep the shape of the current phone (I like the curved back) and even put the black plastic cap on the top or bottom like the 1G. But perhaps make the aluminum black to match. Throw an LED flash in there for the camera, maybe some more storage capacity and processor speed, and VOILA! iPhone 4G :)

25. Pared macrumors 65816

/thread