New iPhone owners (preferably bought this week) any issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reiger, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Reiger macrumors regular

I'm wondering whether new iPhone owners experience any of the issues mentioned on the forums often (cracks, dust under the screen and backlight leaks).

Please only reply if you have recently bought an iPhone. You can find the week your iPhone was produced by looking at the serial. Go to settings, general and about. It is the fourth and fifth number.

2. fireman13 macrumors 6502

I Got mine Aug 7th thru DF. Build week 28 I guess? Its a white 16GB with absolutely no issues, well except the battery doesn't seem as good as my first gen. I guess I got lucky, knock on would it stays this way. The nearest apple store is about 5 hours away so I can't exactly jump in the car and get it fixed if it did mess up.

3. objectuser macrumors newbie

Got mine on Sat (8/9/2008) and it's been perfect ... no issues at all.

Edit: week 32

4. Reiger thread starter macrumors regular

Could you please post the week the iPhone was manufactured.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I got my replacement (NIB) on Sunday, August 10, '08, Serial Number: 87832XXXXXX, so week 32 with "0" issues at this time...:cool:

6. wessto macrumors member

Aug 08, week 31, no issues.

Working great so far. no cracks, no light leaks.

7. MasonMI macrumors regular

I picked up my black 16GB iphone 3G last week monday 8/4 after ordering it on 7/21 from AT&T's DF ordering system, my iphone is flawless no cracks, light leaks or scratches its a week 31

8. imetazoa macrumors member

imetazoa

received Aug 7th... week 31... 8GB black... 1 dead pixel... but thats it.

9. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Black 16gb week 31, picked it up 8/8/08, no issues so far.

But I should stop reading these forums because now I'm going around afraid it's going to crack...

10. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

week 31 replacement. no issues but one rough edge.
    doesnt really matter to me.:D

11. sdtaco macrumors newbie

12. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

Swapped my white for a black 16gb.

came with 2.0.1 installed. Only the nagging bugs still persist.

13. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

I wish Apple would release a public statement addressing these issues and their plans to have them gone soon. I went through a handful of phones from launch week and just decided to return the thing and buy it again when they've been ironed out.

I know many of you reporting flawless phones right now will find something soon, probably a crack at least as it seems inevitable for all phones.

14. e.m. macrumors 6502

So I take it all the recent buyers aren't experiencing the 3G drop issues either?

This is probably the most positive thread I've read about the new iPhone in a while. No one with issues! :D

15. gldelx macrumors member

I got my 16GB white iPhone last week (aug5 I believe), and it came with the crack between the headphone jack and the chrome (the skinniest piece of plastic) and in the right light can see 3 little 'bubbles' above the screen to the left of the phone speaker. Neither is bad enough to worry about taking it in to exchange for another.
    Operation wise though, multiple times the GPS has placed me in Houston instead of 2000 miles to the NW in Portland where I actually am. it seems to figure it out once moving in a car for a few minutes though.
    Also have had misc apps (stock and appstore ones) close unexpectedly.

still, overall loving it :)

EDIT: and also a week 31

16. e.m. macrumors 6502

that's a bummer.

How's your 3G reception?

17. gldelx macrumors member

I was going to reply saying "pretty good most times", but figured I would go ahead and check it now. and with 3G turned on it keeps bouncing between No Service and one bar. with 3G turned off, Edge gives full bars.
    However, today at lunch (downtown) I was talking to a friend on his iphone, in the middle of PA where ATT says they have no service, and our call was disconnected 2x because I lost service.

(also I should add, I had put off buying an iPhone since last year because I totally loved my T-Mobile service that I 'had' for the last 8 or 10 years always with great service around home and while traveling) :(

even when the 3G just showed as having no service, the GPS was still locating me in the right spot. I've heard others say the GPS is still reliant on the cell service, but is it really? or truly a stand alone GPS receiver?

18. chronman23 macrumors newbie

got mine 4 days ago and the home button doesn't work

19. JWages macrumors regular

Got mine on the 8th. Build week 32. It was going good, but now the reception seems to be very inconsistent.

20. Nickb macrumors regular

got mine yesterday over here in the UK - week 31

Have tested for light leaks but nothing, no dust it seems so far, no cracks - just the general software issues

i did have a little bit of blue plastic protective covering peaking through from the back cover, but ive almost managed to get rid of it all now.

also i noticed last night that mines doesnt get hot at all - i was using 3G and put the ipod also to drain the battery abit so i could give it a good charge, and it wasnt hot - which is a bonus

so ok so far - regarding the battery thing, is it best to let it run dry, or just charge whenever, i got it pretty low last night, but think that was because it was out of the box - hopefully itl be ok fingers crossed

21. TonyMil macrumors member

16gb White. Week 31.
    Picked up 08/01/08.
    No problems. 3-4 bar 3G coverage.
    I haven't had any issues with it and hope things stay that way. Even the battery life has been great.

22. organyka macrumors newbie

I got it on 8/09/08 a white 16gb
    4-5 reception lines
    no issiues
    just first time using ipod-songs-shuffle: start skiping first 2 song, there after no complaints...

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have two iPhones, both white.

The first one bought on July 11, perfect. No cracks, no light leaks, no dust.
    Second purchased Monday night and it too is perfect.

24. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

seems like the newer iphones are a better build quality :)

good news for me :p

25. Animaniac macrumors member

Animaniac

I would be interested in knowing if you guys with new and pristine phones have checked for stuck or dead pixels. It's a pretty minor issue when other defects are common. What's quality control like on the LCDs now that light leak, dust, cracks, reception, and battery have been sorted? Thanks for details on your experiences, folks.