New iPhone SE Could Launch in May With Touch ID and A10 Fusion, Without 3.5mm Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 20, 2018.

1. tresmith macrumors 6502

The first SE had the latest processor when it debuted.

2. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

3. Nikiaf macrumors regular

With a lower resolution display to drive, this thing should put up some good performance numbers even on year-old hardware. I don't think a last-gen chip is in any way a dealbreaker.

4. recoil80 macrumors 68030

I'd expect an updated SE with Qi charging and I'm afraid the headphone jack will go away.
    A10 could be the SoC, there is no dual camera and the resolution isn't high so it can be pretty fast with an A10, no need for the A11 unless they want to make it more future proof. Remember it is the cheapest option, so they have to sacrifice something we can't expect the latest and greatest camera and cpu

5. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Proof?

Original reports said the SE would get an A8 chip, but it ended up getting the up to date A9. Same could happen here.

6. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I downgraded from a 6s Plus to the SE and have loved it. I hope that Apple continue making iPhones in this size.

7. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502a

8. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

First SE gave you exactly this.
    Camera and SoC directly out of 6s half a year after it's release.

New SE will give you one and a half year old tech.

9. neomorpheus macrumors regular

I love the external size, but the screen itself is just too small for me. If they c"copied" the X form, then it would be a big draw for me.

10. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

If true, this would take some serious courage

11. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

Been calling this for awhile. I think the new SE will basically look like a shrunken down iPhone 8 or 8 Plus. Love it or hate it, the iPhone 5S design is now dated, and it would be a no-brainer for Apple to bring the SE's design in line with the rest of the iPhone lines.

If they do actually do this, I will seriously consider getting rid of my huge 7 Plus. I used an iPhone 5S before I bought a 7 Plus, and I miss the smaller size.

12. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Not sure this article and everyone else is saying it will have an A10. The original SE uses the same A9 processor as the 6S which was released just months prior to the SE. It will most likely be the same this time around and will use the A11 from the 8. It is more power efficient after all and they can tout that as an added benefit.

13. Abiatha Swelter macrumors member

Abiatha Swelter

Yeah, you can actually hold it without your fingers covering part of the screen. Who wants that?

14. december macrumors member

Can't wait. I'm using a 5S with a dying battery and love everything about this form factor. Not everyone needs a big screen since some of us really just use the phones for calls and texts and occasional passive app usage. My 5S spends most of its time in a pocket while playing music.

I use BT headphones 75% of the time so losing the headphone jack won't affect me much but I can see why others would object. There would have to be significant gains in battery or performance to make removing it worthwhile.

15. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

Not making this phone full screen is a missed opportunity by Apple, I believe.

I prefer to operate phones one handed and have normal sized male hands.

Even I struggle to reach the top left corner (right if you’re left handed) on the iPhone 6/7/8 series models - never mind the Plus versions.

My Mum has an SE however (on my recommendation) and loves it.

Keeping the body the same size but making it full screen would allow all but people with the smallest hands to operate this phone single handedly.

It would also open it up to a wider customer base - including perhaps me as someone who has always bought flagships but now questions the value proposition of $1000 plus iPhones.

——

PS - shame it’s losing the Jack too, but that’s the way the industry has moved sadly.

16. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

My only proof is logic. They aren't going to put the A11 in it with almost 6 months to go before flagship phones have the A12. iPhone X has the A11 right and SE will have it next month? No.

Apple will start differentiating their phones based partly on their phenomenal silicon.

17. mrbobdobolina macrumors member

mrbobdobolina

TAKE MY MONEY. All of it. I'll even throw in my car. How about my house? IDK. Whatever seems fair.

18. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

Apple, make an iPhone se with oled in the same form factor priced at $749 and I’ll buy it. I have an iPhone X and I like it but I really want to have the smaller physical size with the iPhone X treatment. Repeat: not a budget phone but a premium smaller device.

19. ChrisChaval macrumors 6502a

ChrisChaval

20. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

Seriously, where can I purchase a 64GB SE you mention in the article? All I can find are 32GB and 128GB models.....

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten that change. I hated that move. 64GB is the sweet spot for the SE, IMO.

21. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

Absolutely - especially as Bluetooth sound quality still does not match the Jack

22. lederermc macrumors 6502a

lederermc

It would have to be so cheap that it's only real use is landfill. Apple should stop including chargers and wired headphones and lower their retail price to the cost of manufacturing +10%. How many 5w iPhone chargers have passed thru your hands and into the recycle bin?

23. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Isn't this design/form factor about 6 years old at this point? I guess Apple doesn't have enough R&D money or creativity to come up with a new design that satisfies that small screen crowd. Unreal with these greedy bean counters.

24. Joe h macrumors regular

Let me guess, it will also have Cook’s protruding camera, and prescratched glass with imbedded hairs?

25. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

I am curious which design Apple will choose. The 5s design or iphone 6 design.