Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Compared to the second-generation iPhone SE, the new 5G-enabled iPhone SE offers improved battery life thanks to the efficiency of the A15 Bionic chip.

iPhone-SE-3-stacked.jpg

Compared to the previous model, Apple claims the new iPhone SE can last up to two hours longer during both video playback and streamed video playback for a total of 15 hours and 10 hours, respectively. Audio playback sees the most significant jump by 10 hours, offering up to 50 hours of playback.

The new iPhone SE can charge up to 50% in 30 minutes with a 20W power adapter. Despite some rumors, the new iPhone SE does not feature MagSafe technology.

Article Link: New iPhone SE Offers Improved Battery Life Compared to Previous Model

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
So this is basically an iPhone 8 shell with better battery, updated processor and faster charging?
Or you could say it’s a upgraded SE2020 (which was in turn based on the iPhone 8).

I wander if it still has same 1800 mH battery though. Still, good to see these battery life improvements for the new SE compared to its predecessor, and loving that wallpaper.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
My daughter has iPhone SE 2020 and can't do Live Wallpaper on the lock screen (not available on SE and SE 2020). Any way of telling if the 2022 iPhone SE will do Live Wallpaper on lock screen?

EDIT: I'm guessing not. Seems to need Haptic Touch and don't see that is part of the new SE at all.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't think this phone could "lure" 100 million Android users
It doesn’t need to. The point is, is this is an entry-level phone for those who maybe aren’t sure if they want to spend ~$1200 on a 13 Pro. And of course it gives other Third World countries to be part of that ecosystem, even if android phones are in a cheaper alternative.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I don't think this phone could "lure" 100 million Android users given the $429 price point. You can get a better, bigger, phone for less.

It won't and based on past data, it'll attract some Android users on prepaid plans in the U.S. and Europe. The vast majority of price sensitive users around the world will continue to buy an Android with 6.42" OLED and quad-camera at this price.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
It won't and based on past data, it'll attract some Android users on prepaid plans in the U.S. and Europe. The vast majority of price sensitive users around the world will continue to buy an Android with 6.42" OLED and quad-camera at this price.
I don't think you need to be price sensitive to not find it unatractive. In most of the world outside of the US there are really decent Android alternatives in the 300-600$ price bracket(like really decent phones from a hardware standpoint) and this SE will be priced closer to 600$ outside of the US. It's biggest advantage is the SOC but honestly there isn't much you can do with it on such a small phone and with a small battery.

Last edited:

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
My daughter has iPhone SE 2020 and can't do Live Wallpaper on the lock screen (not available on SE and SE 2020). Any way of telling if the 2022 iPhone SE will do Live Wallpaper on lock screen?

EDIT: I'm guessing not. Seems to need Haptic Touch and don't see that is part of the new SE at all.
What the heck is "live wallpaper" ? And why is it so important?

• Haha
Reactions: sorgo †

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Yeah I’m pretty sure this will attract existing old iPhone users. Not too many sane people would buy an iPhone SE as their first phone.

• Angry
Reactions: sorgo †
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.