Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you purchased an iPod Game?

• Yes

Votes: 41 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • Don't own a compatible iPod

Votes: 69 45.1%

• Total voters

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
That's not "off-topic." He was likening the iPod's closed software platform to the original Mac's closed hardware platform, and explaining that they shared an underlying strategy that we all know is consistent with Jobs' design and operating practices over the past thirty years.

Not that you'll understand, but I'll make an analogy. Let's say that you decide to take apart your Mac. You see a lot of wires and electronics that you don't recognize or understand -- all you understand about your computer is the keyboard and the monitor. You think that perhaps its some sort of alien being that has been incubated within your machine, and has to be destroyed before it infects someone else's computer. You rip and tear and smite the components... but then you wonder why your computer doesn't work.

In this case, you are wandering into a conversation without even the slightest comprehension of what the involved parties are actually discussing. You see parts of it, and you think you know what's at work, so you start flailing around wildly, laying waste to the average applied IQ of the thread's posts. But in the end, you only look like an imbecile incapable of comprehending the simplest connections between concepts.

Hello, are you done in there?

OldTimey

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
Unfortunately, most people who love Ms. Pac-man know that the game is only truly great when you're playing the speed hacked version. For some unknown reason, Namco refuses to let people change the speed settings on anything other than the arcade releases.

Thus, the recent Xbox Live Arcade of Ms. Pac-man was rendered almost worthless, and no doubt this version is as well.

wow. that. is. really. dorky.

Get Jobs on the phone, iPod Ms. Pac-Man is worthless!

shidoshi

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2004
wow. that. is. really. dorky.

What, my comment? It's the truth, so I don't see why that's "dorky". If you know anything about Ms. Pac-man, you know that after the initial launch of the game, what ended up giving it its lasting popularity was when the sped-up version of the game came out. Pretty much any arcade unit you'll find in various places offers the game in that sped-up form, and even official Namco Ms. Pac-man/Galaga joint units (as Ms. Pac-man wasn't originally a Namco game) offer the ability to be played sped-up, and the units are typically set that way.

But, hey, you got off your cute comment, so I guess that's what counts.

OldTimey

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
What, my comment? It's the truth, so I don't see why that's "dorky". If you know anything about Ms. Pac-man, you know that after the initial launch of the game, what ended up giving it its lasting popularity was when the sped-up version of the game came out. Pretty much any arcade unit you'll find in various places offers the game in that sped-up form, and even official Namco Ms. Pac-man/Galaga joint units (as Ms. Pac-man wasn't originally a Namco game) offer the ability to be played sped-up, and the units are typically set that way.

But, hey, you got off your cute comment, so I guess that's what counts.

I just think that part in your post about this version of PacMan being virtually "worthless" was a little silly that's all. you KNOW your Pacman, nobody is arguing that.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I just wandered in? I started the thread before it got turned into the news post -- I think I am allowed to make comments?

You're certainly allowed to make comments. This isn't my forum. Just, like, try to comprehend the basics of conversation before you sass someone for being off-topic the moment they get any more abstract than an instructional manual :p I know your eyes glaze over whenever rhetoric is used, so just ignore it.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
...and I want one of these again:

binatone_tv-master-mk6_2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.