Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by iJon
im still wating to see how critics compare the new 30gb ipod for 499 to the 60gb zen for 399.

Sorry.. don't think it will take off (atleast not with the intelligent mac community). It will be great for pc's users that are dumb.. But anybody that has been living over the past couple days knows apple has a new service and a new iPod. It was marketted properly so far.

PC users who are tech savy enough know that the Apple Music serice will be available on PC by years end. AAC is the base of it.

WMA file compatibility? wha? do you think Microsoft stands a chance? The only thing microsoft has innovated musically is the sound of your hard earned money being flushed down the toilet.

60 gb would be nice, but look at how ugly that thing is... I can gaurantee all it does is play music.. iPod has nicer features and better interface. plus with this latest mystery record feature and extra feature on the headphone plug??? obviously the iPod ranks high for bigger things to come.

Simply, the iPod is the best digital player.

I can see where you are coming from though.. PC vs. MAC arguement.. The PC is faster megahertz wise.. but has a crappy OS, and shotty thrid party parts... Apple has more refined, elegant, and slightly slower processors (currently) .. because of this slight speed difference, people think they will be getting ripped off..

ah well I prefer having something that works and works well.. PC people want cheap and dirty..

we'll see how it goes though.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by tYNS
Sorry.. don't think it will take off (atleast not with the intelligent mac community). It will be great for pc's users that are dumb.. But anybody that has been living over the past couple days knows apple has a new service and a new iPod. It was marketted properly so far.

PC users who are tech savy enough know that the Apple Music serice will be available on PC by years end. AAC is the base of it.

WMA file compatibility? wha? do you think Microsoft stands a chance? The only thing microsoft has innovated musically is the sound of your hard earned money being flushed down the toilet.

60 gb would be nice, but look at how ugly that thing is... I can gaurantee all it does is play music.. iPod has nicer features and better interface. plus with this latest mystery record feature and extra feature on the headphone plug??? obviously the iPod ranks high for bigger things to come.

Simply, the iPod is the best digital player.

I can see where you are coming from though.. PC vs. MAC arguement.. The PC is faster megahertz wise.. but has a crappy OS, and shotty thrid party parts... Apple has more refined, elegant, and slightly slower processors (currently) .. because of this slight speed difference, people think they will be getting ripped off..

ah well I prefer having something that works and works well.. PC people want cheap and dirty..

we'll see how it goes though.
sorry to me or creative. i know the zen sucks, thats why i was saying what critics would say. i wouldnt care about the 60gb because you have to use creatives software to get data to it, ipod mounts as a external device. i was reading my pc gamer and they said the zen was a good buy only if your couldnt afford the ipod.

iJon

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by iJon
sorry to me or creative. i know the zen sucks, thats why i was saying what critics would say. i wouldnt care about the 60gb because you have to use creatives software to get data to it, ipod mounts as a external device. i was reading my pc gamer and they said the zen was a good buy only if your couldnt afford the ipod.

iJon

no no.

I ment whatever critics say.. no shot to you at all.. I think people should learn to think for themselves (can get expensive when it comes to hardware though :) ).. there are a lot of really stupid critics out there. Hell everyone is a critic once you think about it. Doesn't mean anyone's opinion is right though.. ;) including my own..

but what the hell I go with what I like...

For instance .. as much as I love iTunes (and I use it often) I still use MacAmp Lite X 1.2 on OS X as my primary MP3 player.. it offers a great plug-in pack to really control your music. It isn't as easy as iTunes and/or as elegant.. But to me this is/was the best Music player(and a say music meaning it covers a lot of formats ogg/mp3/mod/xm/it/med/etc...) for Mac.

iTunes 4 is pretty darn nice though. AAC is slowly getting me to switch over to iTunes completely.. Since MacAmp Lite X is being discontinued... You can actually get a full blown version for free because the project is being discontinued. I recommend checking it out.

damax452

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
w00t w00t w00t ! ! !

W000! i got my 15gb ipod today, and i love it! i got it at best buy along with a 4 year service plan ($40 extra). I filled it up with ~1500 songs and it plays like a champ. Awesome product, well done Apple. :D :D :D

vanillamike

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
is it just me or do these ipods sounda hell of a lot louder. i cant even put mine all the way up without it hurting my ears, all the way up on my old ipod sometimes didnt prove to be enough.

iJon

frinky23

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2003
Re: Possibly a dumb question

Originally posted by mclosers
You all may think this is a dumb question but what is the difference between line out and the regular head phone jack?

Line out is for pre-amp level output. It is intended to be connected to a separate device (home stereo, etc.) that will do final amplification and volume control. While you could plug headphones into the line out jack, it wouldn't be very loud and you wouldn't be able to adjust the volume. Also, any equalizer effects probably wouldn't be carried through the line out jack.

You can use a headphone jack like a line out jack, except that doing so introduces the capability for over-driving the input and getting distortion. You would have to find the optimal volume level or your sound quality wont be as good. And if any equalizer effects are used they would be over-amplified by the final amplifier and combined with the fact that you are likely to adjust the equalization again at the final device, you lose sound quality.

Without a line out jack, you must use the headphone jack but find the optimal volume settings and turn off any equalization. But the sound quality still wouldn't be as good - the signal is passed through the iPod amplifier and then through the final device amplifier, both of which introduce distortion. The line out jack would eliminate one of the sources of distortion. However, most people in most situations wouldn't hear any differences.

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
Fom a scroll wheel 10GB iPod owner..

I must admit to spending more than a few minute ssearching for solitaire and on the fly playlist features on my 1G iPod. And I must admit to being a little upset that I couldn't do all of those things...for about two seconds....

I am by no means an apologist for Apple, but I am most assuredly an Apple gadget lover. I think Apple hit it dead on when they did new iPods at the same time as the iTunes Music Store. My girlfriend saw the Music Store in action on my PM and, after seeing me with my iPod for almost a year without a single look of envy, decided she just had to have an iPod.

Now, she couldn't care a lick for any feature on the iPod but its music playback feature, so my 10GB 1G iPod is perfect for her. At the same time, I can free myself up for the 3G iPod and use all of the new features.

If my situation didn't allow for me to buy a new iPod, would I still be upset that I can't move to iPod 2.0? Not really. I mean, of course I want to be able to do everything that the new machines can do, but I bought an MP3 player, not a Game Boy/Treo. I will never hold Apple accountable for putting new features on new products that entice users of their current products to upgrade. That is the whole point when selling digital devices after all, right?

babu

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2003
CA
ipod reveiws

:D I am so happy. I had to go to my parents' house on the 1st because I thought that my iPod was there a day early, but it was just the creature speakers, the line out to my stereo, and the new fm broadcaster that allows you to go in and play your pod in a car without having to use that stupid tape thing, So even though I didn't get what I was waiting for, I got some pretty cool stuff.
BUT, THE NEXT DAY.... I woke up around 1 and had to go to the shrink to get my pills:p but get what was waiting for me in my mother's car. Yep the one and the only mr. pod. I WAS SO EXCITED!!!!. AFTER THE DR. THOUGH I TORE INTO THE PACKAGE. I got home and I was tearing into the pacage but not let anything get lost. I turned it one, and there it was the brand new iPod. I got the 30 gig one so I got all of these things I got the case, the dock, the bag that comes with the case, the cool redesigned 'phones with the cool new remote. I don't get what the deal was with all of the people going on about the three pronged plug. I had a min-disc player and remote plug was just the same, so don't keep going on about it's secret powers. It is just the same... so. But the new buttons are so neat, I love the ways that the buttons work. They are just the same as on the kuub. I lent it out to my parents to use in their office so that the person that works for them could do a few things at once. But the buttons are just the same. I know because on the cube I always was acidently always was hitting the power button in the middle of doing something. so it drove me crazy all the time. But the new buttons and the scroll wheel is really good, but you bump into the buttons alot. but I am working on that. The games aren't that cool really the solitair is almost impossible to work with and the parachute game doesn't make sense beacause you lose points fo blowing up the helicopters. And then I was wondering if any of you guys got the brick game in the 1.3 download, so that was no big thing, snd then unlike the old iPod you can't restart the game by clicking on the enter button. But all of the stuff is so great I love that it has so much more space then my 1st gen. but the glowing orange buttons are way cool, but it doesn't glow like it shows on the apple page. But using it with the music store is great, but I only have a dial up and I ordered like ten albums and I am still downloading them off the net. so that's pretty much it so bye-bye

iMook

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
The new plug layout probably indicates that an LCD remote is coming soon, since MiniDisc LCD remotes all have very similar plug layouts (phones jack + separate data bar).

As for mics: How good can a mic built into an LCD remote the size of a stick of gum be? I'm not sure that putting a mic in the said up-and-coming remote would please those who would use such a thing heavily.

Edit: Is the new LCD backlight white or blue?

herocero

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2003
down on the upside
2.0 on the oldies

so me and anothser mac buddy had an idea why our old ipods (seems kinda wierd to say, old ipods :) may not see new iPod 2.0 software revisions. the culprit may be on the go playlists.
think of the extra hardware logic it would take to create a playlist on the fly in a normal play mode. the software update i'm sure would be a snap, but the older ones simply may not have the hardware ability to flag songs and create a new playlist file.
no huge loss, i wouldn't be a big fan of scrolling through my 2,000 songs on my 20g to flag them. my new 15" 970 PB will do it fast enough for me :-D

cheers to u new ipod users, and cheers to apple for the new hybrid windoze/mac ipod (a great manufacturing move i thought they should have done from the start)

vanillamike

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Originally posted by iMook
As for mics: How good can a mic built into an LCD remote the size of a stick of gum be? I'm not sure that putting a mic in the said up-and-coming remote would please those who would use such a thing heavily.

Edit: Is the new LCD backlight white or blue?

I hear what you are saying but a mic is a mic, if it comes included and it sucks then I can see your reasoning but I doubt Apple would release a sucky attachment to a high end product. What really caught my eye about the ZEN remote was the LCD and the FM tuner. I think the Apple product design people could make a good thing even better for the iPod.

From the pictures on Apple's web site and from watching the MSN feed it looks as though the backlight is still a light blue on the "new" iPods.

I'm still waiting to get my hands on a 30GB, hopefully this week.

Mike

rwagoner

macrumors member
May 5, 2003
RPV, CA
Updates

I like the old iPod better anyway (except for the thicker size when compared with the new ones). Rumor has it that the battery runs longer on the old one as well.

That being said, I think the complaints about 2.0 not being supported in Gen 1 and 2 iPods is similar to me complaining to General Motors because they brought out a higher horsepower engine for the Silverado truck in 2000, even though I had just bought my brand-new truck in 1999.

Companies add new features to products all the time. Just because someone on this forum (or elsewhere) said that the new (2.0) features can be added to the earlier iPods doesn't make it so. Until you know for a fact that the old ones can indeed support the features, then you have absolutely no complaint.

Besides ... just what is so great about the new features? I doubt I'd use any of them. What I'd like from Apple is a case that has a belt clip that doesn't break.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.