New iPods - Video Support, TV Episodes, Music Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple finally did release a new iPod capable of playing videos. (press release). The new iPod supports MPEG4 and h.264 video formats and features a slightly wide screen design to accommodate the video playback.

30GB. $299
60GB. $399

2.5 inch screen
320x240
260,000 colors
MPEG4, h.264 Video Support
Video Out to TV
Holds over 150 hrs of video

Alongside the new iPod is iTunes 6 - which updates many features in the iTunes Music Store and also adds video sales. Apple is offering over 2000 music videos for sale ($1.99 each) and has partnered with television studios to be able to offer online TV Episode sales.

The press release also details over 2000 Music Videos, Pixar Short Films and hit TV shows available through iTunes. Videos are $1.99 a piece. Past and current episodes are available of popular shows including Lost and Desperate Housewives.

Pixar shorts: Boundin', Geri's Game, Luxo Jr. and more are available as well.

Download: iTunes 6 - Available now.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
$1.99 for a music video...lame
$1.99 for a TV show(hour long) NICE!

New iMac..meh, (Bring back the lamp DAMMIT!)

Anyone notice they eMac has dissapeared?

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
wordmunger said:
So, do the TV shows have commercials? Any way to fast forward through them?
Excellent question for the first post!

It certainly looks like Apple is taking a nice, measured pace towards entering the living room. I think it's a good strategy. I just wish I could afford an iMac (not that they're too expensive, I'm just poor).

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I think this is actually very good.

Movies make less sense.

TV Episodes... they are short/ episodic, addictive. People consumer TV shows on a much more regular/ on the go basis than movies. Also quality not as important.

arn

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
I like the TV Show on iTMS idea. Good price if no commercials.

The only question is: When will FrontRow and Remote be available for other Macs like Mac Mini?

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Just by coincidence...

I got a new credit card yesterday and then the long-rumored video ipods come out today...hmm is fate trying to tell me something? I've been wanting to replace my stolen ipod for a long time, but was waiting for the video ipods.

If I can rip DVDs to H.264 this is a done deal. Carrying family guy with me everywhere I go? Priceless--

superfunkomatic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
calgary, ab canada
another example of when "no" really means "yes", or at least "it's in secret development and we're not going to tip our hand to anyone".

the tv shows thing is rad, finally someone is moving into true video on demand.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
iTunes 5 sure was shortlived. I like the new iMac, and am thinking of buying a new iPod. I'm not really surprised by anything that was announced. I think they maybe should have waited until they had more TV shows to offer at iTMS as that's a lot bigger draw (at least for me) than music videos.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
This is very cool. After reading about it over at Apple's site, I really want one of these. I have a 3G 30GB iPod right now and I think it's time for an upgrade. The screen seems to be pretty nice, too. While it isn't widescreen (I'm sure we will see that later down the line), the screen still seems to be a much better size than I had expected.

But... no Power Mac updates today? :( And what's with the Mac mini? They still haven't updated their site with the new configs.

osustudent

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
Ohio
Happy, yet ...

New iMac's are always nice, as is the addition of the iSight. I'm sure we're heading towards the point where it will be in all of their computers!

It will be interesting to see what the TV shows will be like; if it will expand to all the major networks. I can't imagine there not being some kind of commercial, but we shall see.

YET, just a little disappointed that there are still no updates to the PB line. Maybe next week ...

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
p0intblank said:
This is very cool. After reading about it over at Apple's site, I really want one of these. I have a 3G 30GB iPod right now and I think it's time for an upgrade. The screen seems to be pretty nice, too. While it isn't widescreen (I'm sure we will see that later down the line), the screen still seems to be a much better size than I had expected.

But... no Power Mac updates today? :( And what's with the Mac mini? They still haven't updated their site with the new configs.
I wish I could read about it. I can't get their site to load...not suprised. I did get to the iTuens 6 download site though...downloading now with 65% complete. This is awsome.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
I notice the new iPod is USB-only. So the transition is now complete - none of the current iPods support Firewire. Oh well. That said, it does still look nice and I'm glad I held off buying an iPod until now. The video probably won't do anything for me, but the thinner case and less weight are positives.

mflat5

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2004
Wow

I'm impressed, but cannot help but think this is a stop-gap / watch-and-see device until the full-fledged video iPod emerges. iPod photo began as a "special" type of iPod which morphed into a feature available in all color iPods. Hopefully this will follow suit.

Two major concerns over this new video feature which I don't know if Steve addressed... battery and hard drive life.

One of the wonderful things about the original iPod up to 4G was the reserved battery life. Yea, it's short compared to other players, and it's non-removable, but it worked well and allowed enough time to enjoy before recharging. How is video going to drain the battery now? Is the battery improved to compensate?

The other concern which coincides with the battery is hard drive life. Since the original concept of loading songs into a buffer allowed for a minimal amount of hard drive access, how is it going to be addressed in 5G? Will the new slimmer version be able to "resist" mechanical and heat issues since the drive needs to be accessed more to run video? Hard drives do eventually break down.

I'm drooling over this update, but am curious to see the reviews or see analyses about these issues. Did Apple up the buffer to make this new cool-thing work more efficiently?

-m

ps:
I hope us 4'gers are given some type of updates even if not video on the color/photo versions. New software? More efficient battery usage? Apple innovates, but also cannot abandon its earlier adopters (and not expect the purchase of new devices for new features)... one can only dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.