New jailbreak patch coming soon

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by xxBURT0Nxx, Oct 11, 2010.

1. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

According to twitter, apple will be patching comex's useland exploit which untethers your jailbreak. Save all shsh blobs for 4.1 now so you will be able to downgrade should you have to restore. Don't say you weren't warned!

2. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

So I take it this patch will be in 4.2 then?

Or will the patch be applied to the current 4.1 you would use to restore in iTunes?

3. xxBURT0Nxx thread starter macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Apple will release 4.1.1 soon which will be the same as 4.1 but it will block comex's userland exploit. This change will also obviously carry over to 4.2 but they are nit going to continue to expose exploits constantly ecerytime apple blocks one so if you don't save your blobs now you will probably lose the ability to jb until 4.2 is released.

4. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Cydia used to report which shsh blobs were on file for your device. It no longer does, at least I can't find it. How can we tell which ones have been saved?

5. nabechu macrumors 6502

Use tiny umbrella to display your saved shsh's

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Cydia still does but it's slow to update. You can use tiny and it will tell you if cydia has your blobs on file.

It only shows you which blobs are saved locally you have to request them to see if cydia has them on file.

7. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

See, all this talk of tethered/untethered and patches has got me panicing that an update is going to come out and somehow patch my iPhone and make my current jailbreak tethered.

If my iPhone 4, in it's current state, remains as it is and untethered then I'll keep it. Obviously if anything goes wrong and I need to restore, if 4.1.1 is out, then I'll go onto that and wait for the next jailbreak. I can't be bothered with the hassle of blobs and whatnot.

8. coachnitka macrumors newbie

I'm currently JB'd on 4.0.1 on iPhone 4. I'm still awaiting Limera1n for Mac so I can upgrade to 4.1. If 4.1.1 comes out before Limera1n is released for Mac, does that basically mean I'm going to have to wait for another userland exploit?

Or should I just restore now, upgrade to 4.1 ASAP, avoid 4.1.1 and hope Limera1n for Mac is released soon? Obviously that's not ideal because I would lose my jailbreak for an indefinate time, but does this get around the problem if I save SHSHs whenever I do come around to jailbreaking again?

9. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

You're panicking way to much. It's not that big of a deal to downgrade if anything happens and you have to restore to 4.1.1.

10. coachnitka macrumors newbie

Meaning downgrade to 4.0.1 again, correct?

11. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

No. You should be able to save an SHSH for 4.1 to Cydia now if you use TinyUmbrella, even if you haven't upgraded yet. I was able to save one to Cydia despite being on 4.0.1.

12. yentrog31 macrumors regular

yentrog31

Thx for that..I've been so busy reloading all my Cydia apps I completely forgot to save 4.1 in TU...much appreciated.

13. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

wait, they will only patch it if you update to the new firmware right?
    if i dont update and stay on 4.1 i will be fine?

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The display of SHSH Blobs on Cydia was deliberately switched off only in the last few days because the system is being hammered with the new limera1n jailbreak release. They will be back soon and as others have stated you can check using tiny Umbrella but you have to do multiple request one for each version of FW.

15. hectic6 macrumors member

hi,

when i bought my iphone4 it came with os4.1, and i jailbroken with limera1n.

when i first startup cydia, i click on 'make my life easier' does it mean i have saved my shsh blobs?

if not can someone give a detail instructions on how to ? thanks~:)

16. xxBURT0Nxx thread starter macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Correct. If you stay on 4.1 you will be fine. People just save shsh blobs so that they can restore their phones to firmwares that apple is no longer signing for.

Hectic- yeah as long as you clicked that your blobs are on sauriks server. Some people also save them locally on their computers using TU but to be honest if sauriks servers crash cydia is going down too so they are pretty safe there but I guess it doesn't hurt to have 2 safety nets!

17. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No, it means the SHSH blobs for your iPhone will get saved to the Cydia server soon. You do not need to do anything else.

S-

18. hectic6 macrumors member

thanks~:D

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

They can't patch your phone unless you update your phone. That said, just save your blobs. It takes two minutes.

I would actually highly suggest using TU to download your blobs, especially if you just hit "Make My Life Easier." There is a huge backlog right now, and it is entirely possible Saurik's server won't get to everyone if Apple stops signing soon. Downloading with TinyUmbrella will not only save a local copy, but will force Cydia to download your blob immediately.

20. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

This is a bit sensationalist, All we know is that Apple will release an update to Fix the Day Light Saving bug affecting user on Australia and New Zealand, Depending on the stage of the Firmware there is a "chance" that the exploit from comex would be fix.

21. xxBURT0Nxx thread starter macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

??? Obviously apple is going to patch any type of exploit that they can so why would they leave comexs alarm clock exploit in tact? I don't see what is so sensationalist. Apple will fix this userland exploit I was just telling people to back up their shsh as apple won't be signing for 4.1 for much longer

22. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I am not going to create an argument or drama, just saying, you are posting as it is a FACT, and all the fact we know is that they are fixing a day light saving bug, if the firmware was already on DVT, they are not going to patch comex bug, we may see a 4.1.2 with that fix. If the firmware hasn't reach dvt stage yet, them they "may" fix it... when you say "they WILL fix it" it makes it sensationalist...

23. xxBURT0Nxx thread starter macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I'm just passing on info tobpeople who may not use twitter. If you don't want to listen I don't care, you're not going to hurt me.

Via comex:
    RT @comex RT @Petertang5: BackUp Your SHSH Blobs for 4.1 as Apple look to be releasing a software update to fix the alarm bug and probably patch @comex untether hack

Via spirit_jb:
    RT @Spirit_JB Apple About to Patch Limera1n Untethered Hack [Warning] [Save SHSH Blobs of iOS 4.1 Now] http://t.co/YFSvSwT #Apple #Limera1n

Do with the info what you want I just know people in the community are saying it will be patched. If you don't believe them fine with me I'm just passing down info. As I said in my first post... According to twitter: pretty sure that takes all of the sensationalism put of it but I guess people will read that as me stating a fact. Whatever man.

24. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

So if they patch the comex exploit, you cant jailbreak even with boot-rom exploits?

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, well, thank you captain obvious.