New keyboards

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by MrMister111, Aug 10, 2014.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

So now Apple are going to allow 3rd party keyboards in iOS I think that's a great idea. I miss the swipe/swype/trace whatever keyboards from my Android days.

However reason (I believe) they haven't allowed before was because of security. I think keyboards are probably open to security issues, logging etc. so why are Apple doing this now? What security will be in place for using external keyboards?

I was hoping Apple would add the auto complete that they are with words above and also a swipe/swype/trace function but looks like no swype.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Watch the keynote, they talk about the security they'll have in place with the keyboards. But essentially its about sandboxing.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

New keyboards

Must have missed that explanation on keynote will have a look now thanks, that's good then keeping it "within itself" so no send from the keyboard to the developer or outside world I take it. That's great.

The next iPhone with a larger screen (allegedly) and better keyboards including swype/trace is the things I still miss from Android. I just hope I get one soon after launch!!

4. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Apple are basically giving you the choice of using these keyboards by allowing you to install them and give them permission to run and access your input. If one of these keyboard providers manages to gather info or metrics Apple have put that in your hands as you had chosen to allow the keyboard to be installed and to access your info.

5. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

The keyword here is "permission". The 3rd party keyboard can't even access your internet unless you clearly giving it permission to.

6. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

New keyboards

So will they specifically ask to access Internet then when installing or something? Hopefully be a toggle or something to switch off if don't allow?

Will this affect autofill and stuff for using a 3rd party keyboard then?

They will possibly "mask" the request by saying it's for feedback/crash notes etc?

Have to say I'm really lookin forward to getting swype/trace keyboards but also still want the security from Apple.

Is there any testing try on beta of iOS 8 that users can try? Or just the keyboard developers themselves at moment?

7. TheColtr macrumors regular

I don't think the developer has control of masking it. It will look something like this. [​IMG]

8. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks..,

Woah don't want to be saying "Allow" to that then eh. Wonder what it will limit in use if you "don't allow"?

9. ps3zocker macrumors regular

It will basically have no internet access as it runs in a sandbox. When you say "Allow" it can access the internet and upload any data it wants to.

10. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

So best to say "don't allow" then. I expect though then something will be disabled or limited in the app?

Can't wait to get back to using swype keyboards though

11. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

That sure is a startling alert.

12. ASVP MOB macrumors member

I honestly cannot wait until i can use SwiftKey on my iPhone !

13. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

The thing that bugs me is that it appears you have to install an app to get the keyboard. No thanks. give us a way just to install the keyboard. out of the store sure but no need to have some extra app please.

and hopefully that kind of downloading will extend to fonts, language packs etc. reduce the inherent bloat (and yeah i'm not all that keen on the whole 'lets make ibooks, podcasts etc built in')

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Put the app in a folder and done.

15. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Still seems excessive. It should be as simple as you going to KEYBOARD in SETTINGS, then tapping "Buy More Keyboards". Then, you can manage your keyboards there.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Should be, and hopefully will be something like that. But as many other small things in iOS that can be at least slightly better, if it's not, simply putting an app into a folder isn't really going to change that much for the vast majority.

17. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

I'm assuming Apple will not require you to have an actual app for the keyboard, I'm assuming it will be accessible to install or via a keyboard area in the app store and it will be like downloading a song, all you will have to do is select which keyboard you want to use in the settings. Apple included emoji's in iOS and keep updating them to prevent people from having to retain the emoji app.

Anyway on security, isn't it true that you will only be able to use your default Apple keyboard when entering passwords?

18. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

This article has a really good description of how the keyboards work.

http://www.imore.com/custom-keyboards-ios-8-explained

19. drogba macrumors member

As a creature of habit, I don't see the big fuss about new keyboards. I mean I know people love customization and all that, but I can't see myself switching keyboards unless I'm forced to. Can anyone elaborate on why this is such good news or so exciting, outside of people being happy they'll be able to do the swipey swipe?

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Mostly it's the new abilities a new keyboard could provide, like swyping and some other keyboards that have better predictions and other things of that nature that allow for faster/easier typing for those who use them.

21. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

This is great news for people who require a different keyboard for a multiple of reasons that are not covered in the default keyboards (be it language, physical limitations or even visual impairment).

22. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

With the wider screen, typing with one hand can be difficult for some people. Swipe makes it easier to type and still keep a good hold on the phone with one hand. I wasn't huge on it originally on my android phone, but the more and more I used it the more I enjoyed it. I use it constantly, so I'm really glad Apple will finally offer them as well on the iPhone. If you're a constant two-handed typer, than it won't affect you too much. But at least now it wouldn't hurt to give it a try to see if you like it or not, once they come out.

23. mjschabow macrumors 65816

Oh just wait till you try Swiftkey. It's amazing.

24. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

You 100% for sure are required to download an app to get a keyboard. A keyboard is an extension of an app. The development guidelines say it requires a container app. Not only that, but the app has to serve a purpose. Not just an empty app for the sake of just adding a keyboard. So there'll be a million new note-taking or reminder apps that will come with keyboards.

25. bushido Suspended

bushido

simple things like the letter "ß" on my iPhone keyboard. the iPad has it, the iPhone doesnt and i always end up tapping the wrong thing on my iPhone