New Live TV Streaming Numbers Place YouTube TV at Just Over 300K Subscribers and Hulu at 450K

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 22, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hulu with Live TV and YouTube TV both launched in the spring of 2017, offering customers over-the-top live television streaming options in line with established services like Sling TV and DirecTV Now.

Today, sources revealed to CNBC that Hulu with Live TV now has 450,000 paid subscribers -- "not including recent promotional customers" -- while YouTube TV has just over 300,000 as of the beginning of 2018.

Although neither service has been on the market for one full year, the sources delivering the subscriber numbers said that each company is "making some progress" in convincing users to cut the cord. However, analyst Rich Greenfield commented that any company offering a live TV streaming service may have trouble substantially growing their subscriber base "because canceling is so easy" and basic on-demand versions of Hulu and YouTube could be enough for many users.
    Hulu with Live TV and YouTube TV are both beaten out by DirecTV Now and Sling TV, which were previously reported to have reached 1 million and more than 2 million paid subscribers, respectively. Another contender is PlayStation Vue, reported at 455,000 subscribers in Q3 2017. The subscriber numbers reported by CNBC today have not been confirmed by Hulu or YouTube, so there is still no official word regarding how accurate the data might be.

In terms of price, Hulu with Live TV starts at $39.99/month (this includes Hulu's on-demand service) and YouTube TV starts at $35/month. Hulu's service is also technically still in the beta phase, and on the FAQ section of its website Hulu states, "While we are truly proud of Hulu's live TV offering, we know that introducing any new service can come with "hiccups" from time to time, so we are first opening it up as a "Beta" to be transparent with our viewers."

[​IMG]
    The upcoming Apple TV app for YouTube TV

Since some of these over-the-top services are still new, many of them are in the process of adding a few user-requested features following their launches. At CES, Hulu announced Live TV will get a more traditional guide interface for browsing channels, and DirecTV Now customers are waiting for its cloud DVR to launch sometime in 2018. In the first quarter of 2018, YouTube TV also plans to debut an app for the Apple TV.

Article Link: New Live TV Streaming Numbers Place YouTube TV at Just Over 300K Subscribers and Hulu at 450K

2. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

3. ELman macrumors member

4. hesatter macrumors newbie

hesatter

Yeah I agree

5. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

What is ridiculous about it?

6. jdillings macrumors 68000

7. hesatter macrumors newbie

hesatter

8. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

I like my Direct TV, Netflix, & Amazon streaming on my iPad. I wish you could pick your channels, not a pkg..

9. MacMikePro macrumors member

What's with calling it "over-the-top live television"? I feel like you're combining OTA (Over The Air) and STB (Set Top Box) but since "over the top" is already an expression that means something completely different I say just call it Internet Live Television, or Streaming Live Television or something. Dumb thing to complain about I know, but still that was weird to read.

10. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

Of course you’re not really cutting the cord in many places as you will likely need the cable provider for internet services. So the savings is rather minimal for this streaming package vs the price difference from the cable provider. The key thing is to remove services you aren’t using to make cord cutting worthwhile. In my case, it saves about $40/month.

11. jumanji macrumors regular

i like directtv now but they don't have all the local contracts yet. it's annoying that i don't get CBS or NBC without a HD antenna. the addition of the DVR is nice.

12. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

The price.

13. kmm333 macrumors newbie

How is the playback quality? Are there pauses and delays, even on fast internet? My NBC Apple TV app constantly freezes and drops to a lower resolution even on a 100mbps connection. Same thing happened yesterday with the free CBS stream of the Eagles Vikings game.

I’m curious to know of any issues and if one service is better than the other in terms of streaming quality.

14. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I use DirecTV Now. I locked in the lower rate of $35/mo for one of the higher end packages when it launched. It's far less glitchy than it was at launch but the interface hasn't gotten much better. I've been beta testing the new version with DVR, and while the feature is cool, I don't really care for the fact that they've made the interface somehow worse. At least they're taking feedback during the test. I also like that different networks and apps are starting to allow login with DirecTV Now accounts. They often don't list them in the app, but when you go to link it in a browser I've been seeing it listed and it works for certain apps.

As for other services, we also have Netflix, Hulu, CBS, and Amazon. Netflix is great. We'll probably drop Hulu soon. I hardly use the CBS app except to watch football and Star Trek Discovery. Once football is over I'll cancel it. I might turn it back on for a bit later on to finish watching Star Trek. Episodic content on streaming is dumb. As for Amazon, I'll keep paying for it even though I hardly use it because I order so much stuff with Prime and it comes with that. However, I would definitely buy a cheaper version of Prime if it came without the streaming. The main reason I didn't use it was because it didn't have an Apple TV app, but now that it has one, I've discovered that the app is basically non-native web view garbage. Still useful for some kid's shows.

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

These CableTV over a streaming app aren't cutting the cord in my opinion. You're still paying a large monthly fee for the privilege of watching cable channels that are 30% or more just commercials.

It makes no difference if you're watching HGTV through a streaming box or through a cable box. The former does not make it cutting the cord.

For me cutting the cord is about reducing time spent watching commercials, and getting the content I want on my own schedule; and if it costs less then that's just a cherry on top.

16. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

17. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Does YouTube tv include YouTube red and google music?

That would make it a lot more useful.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2018 ---
    That’s kind of what you’re getting with hulu’s Core device.
    After calculating my monthly internet service plus the separate streaming services it came out to about what I’m paying now.

All of that being said getting local (nba/warriors) was still a challenge.

18. richpjr, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018

richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I guess that is a matter of opinion. I just cancelled my DirecTV service and replaced it with YouTubeTV. My bill went from $119 a month to $35. I am quite happy with the price.
    From what I have heard, YouTubeTV has the fewest issues. I tried Hulu for a week and had no issues with any streaming (I have 150 Mbps service). I settled on YouTubeTV and am happy with it. In the few weeks I have had it, it has been stable and the picture quality was good.

19. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Just a reminder that Hulu is a trojan horse created by legacy TV to keep their model in place. Don't fall for it.

20. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Did that $119 include internet service?

21. tazinlwfl macrumors regular

tazinlwfl

But the "streaming box" can be anything from a roku stick or an iPad, without a monthly rental fee for the device itself (or extra fees for DVR). Cutting the cord is basically cutting the long coaxial cord run to every room that is required for nearly all basically satellite or cable services. And I don't need to be 'at home' to watch these channels on these devices, and the internet service required to access it is agnostic, my entertainment is not directly attached to the ISP.

Once Comcast offers a true streaming app with full guide and DVR with profiles and offers streaming on any authenticated device (TV, stick, box, or browser) that compares to Vue or YouTubeTV, then I would consider Comcast's TV service. Until then, I'll cut the cord with an 'Over The Top' service or 'a la carte' offerings that I can take with me basically anywhere without a contract or cable box, and typically less expensive in the long run.

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Yea, I used to love Hulu and was a subscriber to their commercial-free plan. Then they lost a lot of TV shows that I liked (I think it was when their deal with Viacom expired); which happened at approximately the same time they rolled out the new UI. Between the horrible UI and the loss of many shows I liked, I unsubscribed.

I would gladly pay $30-50 / month for a service that essentially provides on-demand content, commercial-free, from my choice of ~5 cable channels.

The most valuable thing we have is time - I'll gladly pay whatever it takes to have the content be commercial free. It doesn't have to cheaper than a comcast bundle because saving money isn't the end goal; savings time is the end goal.

23. breeeeathe macrumors member

breeeeathe

playstation vue is the best 45 bucks dvr includes all the sports channels

24. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I think "cutting the cord" means different things to different people. That's why I said "in my opinion." It seems your priority is having the freedom to watch from any device while you are anywhere in the country. Which is cool, that's a good priority.

For me, as I said above, the priority is ridding my life of commercials and getting that time back, without sacrificing the entertainment that I enjoy.

25. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Minus profiles and stick/box apps Xfinity does offer an app that basically turns your mobile device/tablet/browser into a tv with maybe 95% of the same functionality of your cable box + tv including dvr.

You can even download your dvrs.

This app is what made Hulu useless to me since I can access my dvr’s on any device that has the Xfinity stream app.
    Any negatives to PlayStation cue?