Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonathan Amend

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
Montreal, Canada
Originally posted by manitoubalck
So do I hear right, Longhorn is 32-bit with some 64-bit extensions like Panther for the apple?

No. There will be two seperate editions of Longhorn, as there are of Windows XP (actually, there's a 64 bit edition for the Itanium and a 64 bit edition for the Athlon 64, which makes it three).

Originally posted by Jagga
A little more info on Longhorn, and why I was dissing it. This site seems to update regularly on the conference: Windows Network .

A qoute:

512MB of memory MINIMUM that's Bloated nasty nachos eating M$. Integrating contacts into the file system of the OS; Hmm that also sounds familiar to what Apple has already done. I guess the only "innovation" to speak of would be Well except for the security things, lol. I'm hoping that M$ efforts into Visual Studio .NET would prompt Apple further into XML into programming language; then again XCODE looks like the Shiznit!

Windows XP runs optimaly with 256 MB of ram, but it works with as little as 64 MB. Microsoft is only starting to experiment with Longhorn and optimization isn't on the top of their list right now. Apple lost the right to call Microsoft products bloated, since XP is usuable with 64 MB of ram while Mac OS X has a minimum of 128 MB. Don't forget, Longhorn is coming out in 2006, by which having gigs-of-ram will hopefully be widespread thanks to 64-bitness. And what has Apple already done? They tried a database-driven file system in the mid 80s but it was cancelled. Mac OS X still uses a completely flat file system.

Jagga

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2003
hamilton
Ehhh wrong/

Actually there will be various editions:

1st something like XP Home/Pro, then an update for Server 2003, then an AMD IA-86 with 64-bit extensions, then a pure 64-bit version, and lastly, one for TabletPC (not the 2004 but later) = all in Longhorn fashion.

just junk. thats it for me.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
The look is a definate improvement over XP. I think that there is still a lot of things that need polishing (beta tested Whistler AKA XP) and it wasnt very polished till roughly beta 2. I would assume that they will iron it out and make it look atleast better that xp does. Its just odd that there is themes for xp that look better than what microsoft could do.

One other thing is for sure it really looks like Microsoft is taking their time and working this one out right. I think they are making a lot of moves in the right direction.

Give me OS X with aqua and smoothstripes anyday though.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
Hmm, Microsoft does not seem to talk about its "Palladium" feature Longhorn will have built in. Is it because they do not want you to know how limited your computing experience will be with Longhorn, after all witht that feature the DRM, is highly implimented.

aethier

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
two things

OK...three things.

(1) The use of space makes me cringe. It seems like things were just thrown on the screen hapharzedly. I can only guess that this UI is bull****, and that it will go through many more iterations. Still, a first shot from a UI designer ought to be better than this.

(2) Can anyone tell me what the deal is with the lack of Antialiased fonts? Is it a user preference, or has Microsoft just not implemented it system-wide? Because it makes the whole OS look so clunky and 1998. I take antialiased fonts as a given these days; using my XP box really makes the designer in me cringe.

(3) Can you imagine what Mac OS X will be like by 2006? Sheesh. Apple's so much better poised to make improvements, since the whole OS is designed to be modular and easily updateable from a programming perspective.

Cheers!

Jonathan Amend

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
Montreal, Canada
Originally posted by aethier
Hmm, Microsoft does not seem to talk about its "Palladium" feature Longhorn will have built in. Is it because they do not want you to know how limited your computing experience will be with Longhorn, after all witht that feature the DRM, is highly implimented.

aethier

Actually, Microsoft put it on the list of 7 major enhancements in Longhorn that they released 2 weeks ago. Palladium won't limit your computer experience. It is designed to stop malicious code from running on your computer (as in, viruses) so all future programs will either have to be signed by Microsoft/Verisign or a trusted third party or you yourself will have to trust it. Unfortunately, since Windows is the most widespread OS out there, it is the target of most hackers, script kiddies, and virus writers. Microsoft has learned its lesson of such things as previously giving user accounts full privileges (like "root") by default and not restricting what programs can and can't do to the system. Palladium will be no more of nuisance that having to give users the rights to run some applications or logging in as/impersonating root to change certain system settings or installing certain programs. DRM is also a good thing, as it limits piracy when properly implemented.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
Originally posted by Jonathan Amend
. DRM is also a good thing, as it limits piracy when properly implemented.

You do not seem to think so, at school, you constantly say iTunes music store is pointless to PC users, due to KazAa. You are one of the last people to support DRM. not to mention all the otther ***** *** *****

aethier

Jonathan Amend

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
Montreal, Canada
Re: two things

Originally posted by suzerain
OK...three things.

(1) The use of space makes me cringe. It seems like things were just thrown on the screen hapharzedly. I can only guess that this UI is bull****, and that it will go through many more iterations. Still, a first shot from a UI designer ought to be better than this.

(2) Can anyone tell me what the deal is with the lack of Antialiased fonts? Is it a user preference, or has Microsoft just not implemented it system-wide? Because it makes the whole OS look so clunky and 1998. I take antialiased fonts as a given these days; using my XP box really makes the designer in me cringe.

(3) Can you imagine what Mac OS X will be like by 2006? Sheesh. Apple's so much better poised to make improvements, since the whole OS is designed to be modular and easily updateable from a programming perspective.

Cheers!

1. This is already the second theme of Longhorn, and I doubt it will be the last. Windows XP also had a theme during Beta 1 which was supposed to be kept until the end but then in Beta 2 Luna came along.

2. Both Windows XP and Longhorn have "anti-aliased" fonts, except Microsoft called it ClearType. It is (for now) disabled by default, but you can enable it by going to display properties > appearance > effects and setting "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts" to ClearType.

3. I'm guessing, since it's two years away, that you'll have Mac OS 10.5 and that it will have 300 (2 x 150, according to Apple) new features... and it will only cost you around 2 x $129 USD.

You do not seem to think so, at school, you constantly say iTunes music store is pointless to PC users, due to KazAa. You are one of the last people to support DRM. not to mention all the otther ***** *** *****

aethier

Yes, I do prefer Kazaa, but that's because current implementations of DRM aren't all that... I still have the CDs to most of my MP3s, and I plan on buying those to which I don't. iTMS doesn't even work yet in Canada and I'm not aware of any alternatives (maybe Napster 2.0 will be friendly to the people of the north). I also disagree with having to download bulky and slow media players (iTunes, QuickTime) which think they have to be integrated into every part of the Windows system just to support the formats of a company which likes to "Think Different". WMA was a DRM standard (and not closed, contrary to what most people believe) before iTMS came around, but god forbid Apple should use it, being made by the evil company known as Microsoft and all...

Jonathan Amend

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
Montreal, Canada
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Please provide some info about WMA as an "open standard" from one of the standards groups to back up your claim.

I didn't say it was an open standard, but instead that it was public and free to use by anyone that wants to.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I didn't say it was an open standard, but instead that it was public and free to use by anyone that wants to.

You said: "WMA was a DRM standard (and not closed, contrary to what most people believe)".

Not closed equals...?

WMA is a closed standard owned by one company, and cannot be advanced by the contributions of others and can be changed at any time without anyone else's input. The reason we have the MPEG, IEEE, etc. groups is to agree upon formats, distribution etc. of standards. MS cannot declare standards on their own.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
Re: Re: two things

3. I'm guessing, since it's two years away, that you'll have Mac OS 10.5 and that it will have 300 (2 x 150, according to Apple) new features... and it will only cost you around 2 x $129 USD.

Well 300 new features, in two years is not too bad if you ask me..

Yes, I do prefer Kazaa, but that's because current implementations of DRM aren't all that... I still have the CDs to most of my MP3s, and I plan on buying those to which I don't. iTMS doesn't even work yet in Canada and I'm not aware of any alternatives (maybe Napster 2.0 will be friendly to the people of the north). I also disagree with having to download bulky and slow media players (iTunes, QuickTime) which think they have to be integrated into every part of the Windows system just to support the formats of a company which likes to "Think Different". WMA was a DRM standard (and not closed, contrary to what most people believe) before iTMS came around, but god forbid Apple should use it, being made by the evil company known as Microsoft and all...

yess... iTunes, and QuickTime, are two very bulky, and slow (/sarcasm) iTunes on Windows, is like a god, compaired to Windows Media Player, that is one crappy very bulky (the PC version) piece of software if you ask me, and a lot of other people.

aethier

Jonathan Amend

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
Montreal, Canada
Originally posted by the_mole1314
Am I the only one who thinks that some of those images looks REALLY photoshoped? Look at the registration screen and the boot!

You're the only one... this leaked OS is quite widespread now and it looks exactly the same for everyone else.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
You're the only one... this leaked OS is quite widespread now and it looks exactly the same for everyone else.

yup, because most Photoshop artists are talented. They would not make something real looking like that, so ugly.

aethier

Jonathan Amend

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
Montreal, Canada
Re: Re: Re: two things

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
You said: "WMA was a DRM standard (and not closed, contrary to what most people believe)".

Not closed equals...?

WMA is a closed standard owned by one company, and cannot be advanced by the contributions of others and can be changed at any time without anyone else's input. The reason we have the MPEG, IEEE, etc. groups is to agree upon formats, distribution etc. of standards. MS cannot declare standards on their own.

I'm sorry... what I meant was that it's free for anyone to use. This site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/create/licensing.aspx also shows that WMA is much cheaper to license for a device than AAC (although I'm not sure if iTunes falls into the free use catagory). WMA is not a declared standard but it is the format of choice of the RIAA, MPAA, etc. Microsoft even submitted WMV to the SMPTE to be be an open standard.

Well 300 new features, in two years is not too bad if you ask me..

yess... iTunes, and QuickTime, are two very bulky, and slow (/sarcasm) iTunes on Windows, is like a god, compaired to Windows Media Player, that is one crappy very bulky (the PC version) piece of software if you ask me, and a lot of other people.

aethier

How would you know? You don't own a single PC and you hate Windows too much to ever use it. Windows Media Player can be slow sometimes (on a P166 anyways) but it's much faster than iTunes and neither of them compare to my favorite, which is Winamp. Other than iTMS (for Americans anyways), iTunes doesn't have a single advantage over WMP.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
gee, i seem to remeber you showing me WMP, and there were a bunch of ugly buttons on the side, and lots of other wasted space. whereas iTunes, is simple, clean, and efficient, and if you want to know some advantages of iTunes of WMP, AND music match, then watch the presentation Steve Jobs made, with the introduction of iTunes for Windows.

aethier

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: two things

I'm sorry... what I meant was that it's free for anyone to use. This site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/create/licensing.aspx also shows that WMA is much cheaper to license for a device than AAC (although I'm not sure if iTunes falls into the free use catagory). WMA is not a declared standard but it is the format of choice of the RIAA, MPAA, etc. Microsoft even submitted WMV to the SMPTE to be be an open standard.

All AAC licenses are included in the OS purchase. Since MPEG4 is based on QuickTime, you can output to any MPEG4 format, including AAC, for free.

The page you link to is info for content distributors, not end users. Doesn't really apply to the discussion at hand. Also, links to info about the RIAA and MPAA would be helpful, but again, adoption by 3rd parties doesn't make it a standard.

How would you know? You don't own a single PC and you hate Windows too much to ever use it. Windows Media Player can be slow sometimes (on a P166 anyways) but it's much faster than iTunes and neither of them compare to my favorite, which is Winamp. Other than iTMS (for Americans anyways), iTunes doesn't have a single advantage over WMP.

Easy there. Now who's making unfounded accusations? ;) [edit- OK, you seem to know each other.]

Last I checked, WMP still charged extra for the ability to encode MP3. There's a big advantage.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Re: Re: Re: Re: two things

I'm sorry for such a direct confrontation, but if you think Windows Media Player is faster than iTunes, you are out of your mind. WMP is as crappy as Word; bulky, slow and WMP's UI was designed by a total beginner. They should've stuck with version 6.x when it was still useable. I've used every version of windows since 3.1 and WMP is one for the "Recycle Bin" (too bad IE can't be trashed either, but that's another 6-page discussion.)

I have a Celeron 650 w/XP and WMP humps it do death when loading whereas iTunes loads quite quickly.

Jonathan Amend

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
Montreal, Canada
gee, i seem to remeber you showing me WMP, and there were a bunch of ugly buttons on the side, and lots of other wasted space. whereas iTunes, is simple, clean, and efficient, and if you want to know some advantages of iTunes of WMP, AND music match, then watch the presentation Steve Jobs made, with the introduction of iTunes for Windows.

aethier

Yes, I showed it to you, but you've never used it yourself, so you can't know how fast or slow it is. The buttons on the left do pretty much the same thing as iTunes (and I just noticed "Premium Services", which lets you sign up to stuff like Napster 2, CinemaNow, and MusicNow, so iTMS isn't an advantage either). WMP can also, like iTunes, go into compact mode, as well as a taskbar mode and skin mode (yes, skinning, as in something iTunes can't do). I'd watch the presentation but it's a QuickTime mov so I'll have to pass.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: two things

Originally posted by 5300cs
I'm sorry for such a direct confrontation, but if you think Windows Media Player is faster than iTunes, you are out of your mind. WMP is as crappy as Word;

UHOH, i am not taking sides, but how could you insult any Office suite program, they are all amazing and beat the crap out of any Apple competition. and i am as big of a mac fan as the other guy, but i have both PowerPoint, and Keynote, and well. Powerpoint is installed and gets used. Keynote is collecting dust.

aethier

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
I'd watch the presentation but it's a QuickTime mov so I'll have to pass.

I have observed a patern, that whenever somebody recomends something as prove to contradict your flawed argument (like the lack of iTUnes advanteges) you simply use the exuse that uses QuickTime not to watch it.

aethier

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: two things

UHOH, i am not taking sides, but how could you insult any Office suite program, they are all amazing and beat the crap out of any Apple competition. and i am as big of a mac fan as the other guy, but i have both PowerPoint, and Keynote, and well. Powerpoint is installed and gets used. Keynote is collecting dust.

aethier

Well, I'm not at all proud of it, but I do use Word- it doesn't mean that I like it though (I don't want to use X11 just to use an Office suite.) It's just about the only app on my machine that'll quit unexpectedly (besides Safari :rolleyes: but w/Panther it's been OK)
I totally agree, AppleWorks it pretty crappy (if that's what you're talking about.) Sorry Apple, but get to work on improving AW or give it away for free. I like Keynote, but since I never do presentations, it's gathering dust as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.