Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mastermix

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2003
Asbury Park, NJ
Hope they have decent specs. The remote audio production company I work for has at least three of the old Server versions running Pro Tools via Thunderbolt HD Native interfaces, no doubt they would get upgraded if new ones have a good bump

Reactions: milo

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
This thread was started 3 years ago. Read the whole thing. All the hopes, dreams and anticipation just to be disappointed. . You are pathetic Apple.
Someone put their hopes and dreams into a rumor that Apple would release a new Mac Mini at any point in time?
And that makes that company pathetic?
That is a very strange and distorted way of looking at it.

Perception is reality though.

Reactions: Duckyduckbumps

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Someone put their hopes and dreams into a rumor that Apple would release a new Mac Mini at any point in time?
And that makes that company pathetic?
That is a very strange and distorted way of looking at it.

Perception is reality though.

Did you read this thread? Over the last three years people were hoping for an upgrade and what they received was a joke. What Apple did was a joke. What they received in 2014 was a step backward. Ever since then there have been rumors and speculation.

"Hopes and dreams" for a better mini are no different from those of a MBP, updated iPhone, or iPad user.

I love the mini but I speak from experience. I just bought a new Mini 2.6ghz, 8gb of ram, and a 1tb hard drive. I needed a new desktop. The computer is old technology. It's frustrating, and yes pathetic. Can't upgrade it, and the hard drive is noticeably slow. It's a three year old design. I expected more.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Did you read this thread? Over the last three years people were hoping for an upgrade and what they received was a joke. What Apple did was a joke. What they received in 2014 was a step backward. Ever since then there have been rumors and speculation.

"Hopes and dreams" for a better mini are no different from those of a MBP, updated iPhone, or iPad user.

I love the mini but I speak from experience. I just bought a new Mini 2.6ghz, 8gb of ram, and a 1tb hard drive. I needed a new desktop. The computer is old technology. It's frustrating, and yes pathetic. Can't upgrade it, and the hard drive is noticeably slow. It's a three year old design. I expected more.
No. I didn't read the thread.
I can understand people wanting upgraded specs.
I run 45 of these and I've held off on upgrading some until a new model drops but until then, the '12 i7 is pretty much the best spec'd Mini available if you can find them.

Like I tell anyone that asks what they should buy. Buy what fits your normal daily routine.
If a Mac Mini doesn't fall into that, then don't try and make it and then be mad at the product or Apple. Get what works for you.
Example: I also have the 12" retina MacBook and for what I do on the go, it is a great laptop but for someone that is outside of that niche they are not going to be happy with it whatsoever. They'll be upset and frustrated with it every time they see it.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
No. I didn't read the thread.
I can understand people wanting upgraded specs.
I run 45 of these and I've held off on upgrading some until a new model drops but until then, the '12 i7 is pretty much the best spec'd Mini available if you can find them.

Like I tell anyone that asks what they should buy. Buy what fits your normal daily routine.
If a Mac Mini doesn't fall into that, then don't try and make it and then be mad at the product or Apple. Get what works for you.
Example: I also have the 12" retina MacBook and for what I do on the go, it is a great laptop but for someone that is outside of that niche they are not going to be happy with it whatsoever. They'll be upset and frustrated with it every time they see it.

Good advice. I was using a base MacBook Air into an external monitor until I bought the mini. The air is more responsive, faster, and the graphics look better. My bar was not that hight to begin with, but the mini was a surprising disappointment for me even compared to a base model Air.

AT&T representative

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2015

mac_mini_roundup-250x205.jpg
At just under two years since its last update, the Mac mini seems to have become the forgotten part of Apple's Mac lineup, with a number of fans of the small desktop waiting for any word of a potential update.

As they typically are with Mac products, rumors and leaks regarding the Mac mini's future have been relatively rare, with essentially nothing having appeared on the radar since a reference to a "Mid 2014" Mac mini surfaced on an Apple support page as a likely error several months ago.

MacRumors has now received word that Apple is planning a Mac mini update possibly launching next month alongside new iPad models and presumably OS X Yosemite. While we have been unable to obtain corroborating information of an imminent update, the mere possibility of an update as soon as next month is likely to be welcome news to Mac mini fans. The single source has provided no additional details on what to expect in terms of a next-generation Mac mini, but has provided accurate information in the past.

The timing of such an update would be a bit odd, as it is unclear what processors Apple would use in these machines. Next-generation Broadwell processors from Intel appropriate for the Mac mini are not scheduled to arrive until early next year, and the current Haswell processors are no longer cutting edge as Intel has been forced to prolong their shelf life due to continued delays with Broadwell.

Still, the Mac mini is not generally intended to be a workhorse machine with the fastest processors (although they are popular as servers), so Apple may be willing to launch the updated models with Haswell refresh processors released earlier this year. The Mac mini typically uses the some of the same processors as the MacBook Pro except shifted several months later, meaning that an updated Mac mini released next month could use some of the processors from the late July MacBook Pro update.

Article Link: New Mac Mini Finally Coming in October Alongside New iPads?
[doublepost=1498835533][/doublepost]Recently, I was in the market for a new low end PC to replace one that failed. The current Mac Mini is such a dinosaur that I had to buy windows. Too late Apple! BTW, where's the iPod touch update? I've been waiting forever! It might be time to give up on Apple and explore my options.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
If it's confirmed, maybe some people will stop to complain about it... Wait, no, there is still a waiting list for a new cinema display, a new imac, a new macbook, and actually, when is apple gonna release a new iPhone? :D
I'll start complaining... Apple will up the price of the new Mac mini :cool:
[doublepost=1503224262][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1498835533][/doublepost]Recently, I was in the market for a new low end PC to replace one that failed. The current Mac Mini is such a dinosaur that I had to buy windows. Too late Apple! BTW, where's the iPod touch update? I've been waiting forever! It might be time to give up on Apple and explore my options.
I was about to do that for the same reasons you mentioned. But bought the new iMac. I'm happy with it, but not as happy as I was with Apple in the past. It's all too little too late. Their greediness will bite back sooner then later.

Reactions: huperniketes

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I'll start complaining... Apple will up the price of the new Mac mini :cool:
[doublepost=1503224262][/doublepost]
I was about to do that for the same reasons you mentioned. But bought the new iMac. I'm happy with it, but not as happy as I was with Apple in the past. It's all too little too late. Their greediness will bite back sooner then later.
I still have my 2012 mini and upped the ram to 8GB. When Apple stops supporting it, that's it for me unless they decide to introduce a new model. I could go with a refreshed Mac Pro but that's way too expensive and an overkill for what I'd use it for.

The mini is the almost perfect little Mac but Apple these days are way too focused on their phones and gadgets. I'm OS agnostic so I have NO problems switching to Linux or even Windows 10 if needed. In fact Microsoft has stepped up their game with Windows 10 and integrating it with their XBOX games platform. Their App Store also has a nice selection of games and apps.

Hopefully Apple will one day realize how important the Mac is to their identity rather than just saying it. The mini is a low margin computer for Apple and that's why it's in trouble.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
I hope they make it small enough to use as a iPod, since an iPod is what I want/need/would like/pray for/wish for/ask Santa for...

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Would it really make sense to launch new mac mini's and support them for 7ish years when Apple is leaving Intel shortly?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Would it really make sense to launch new mac mini's and support them for 7ish years when Apple is leaving Intel shortly?

They're not doing that "shortly". If at all. And it's not rocket science to update a computer with newer versions of the chips. It would be even easier if their designs didn't keep favoring form over function.

Duckyduckbumps

macrumors regular
May 29, 2017
I need a new Mac Mini so I can do full local backups of my iPad Pro. o_O

I don’t currently own a traditional computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.