New 'Mac Pro' $900!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by psymac, Jan 20, 2008.

1. psymac macrumors 6502

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Somehow I think I'd rather the quality and knowing that it will work properly now and in the future over building it myself.

However it is an interesting article. Something to take note, his HDD shows up as orange on the desktop, as if it was an external drive. It shouldn't. Potential issue right there if you can accidentally eject it.

3. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Yeah, thanks for posting it!

Although it was very interesting, I'm definitely not convinced. I would have a lot more peace of mind using a real dedicated OS X system. My workflow/system is too valuable to just tinker with on a Hackintosh.

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Very cool...as a hobby. Wouldn't use it as my main machine, and wouldn't spend a grand just to tinker. But very impressive, nonetheless.

5. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You know, you'd be surprised given the right hardware, how stable it can be, as well as how much faster it performs over a PPC Mac.

Espically Tiger.

Now Leopard, thats a different story all together. :(

Of course, the whole update process is a pain in the ass, but they've now gotten it to where if you're using a Core2 CPU, you can use the normal Apple updates.

Oh, and the reason the HD thinks its external, is the SATA port he connected it to was the red one. The red one on that board is meant for the eSATA adapter that comes in the box, which plugs into that red port and then screws into the backplane like an expansion card.

If he was to connect it to a black one, it would not think its external.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

While I don't care if people build hackintoshes, I do find that saying they are custom built mac pros annoying. That's just a midrange PC with a quad core processor and OSX installed.

7. exspes macrumors member

To build a replica MacPro you have to get Xeon processors and fully buffered ram. A MacPro is a workstation, uses a workstation processor. So if you put a Duo in there which is consumer grade, you're building the "xMac" or an iMac without a monitor.

8. deathshrub macrumors 6502

That guy is a douche. I hope he enjoys his unreliable machine.

9. Norco macrumors regular

What I love is some of the benchmarks these guys use. They are like, look at this, my Hackintosh beats the Mac Pro in its overall score. Then you look and realize they are putting 4gb of ram in their Hackintosh and leaving the Mac Pro with 1 gb. It's a huge DUH, when you starve a 4-core machine with only 1 gb of ram its not going to perform very well. So these are very swayed results.

10. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

So what? The fact of the matter is that its faster then that Mac Pro with 1gb ram. I'm all for Hackintoshes, frankly. You can build an excellent machine for very little and with the right software, its perfectly stable.

11. UK-sHaDoW macrumors newbie

Isn't mac pro slightly different then other ram? Error protection stuff

12. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Yup... ECC ram....

Kudos for him to go and try and make one. But end of the day, I'd rather pay for the design and still have a a powerful machine than rather have a heap of junk under my desk

13. Norco macrumors regular

So what? By putting more ram in your Hackintosh you are purposely trying to sway the results.

Perhaps this is what I'll do. I'll go dig up my old P3 733, max it out with as much ram as it can hold, then I'm going to give my mac pro 128mb of ram. Then I'm going to post all over the internet about how a pentium 3 beat the mac pro. No difference right? The problem with these tools is that they aren't going to come out directly and say, with barely giving the Mac Pro any ram, my PC can beat it, but if I put more ram in my Mac Pro its faster. No, they will tell everyone how their PC is faster than a Mac Pro and how anybody that buys a mac is wasting their money.

14. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Its a tool, not a fashion statement.

15. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Ok, but his machine isnt a heap of junk. So while you may have pulled out your fat wallet with all your pennies saved up, his machine still completes all of the same tasks at about the same speed as yours.

With that said, how is it junk?

16. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

wow, this is getting almost as heated as old school mac/pc debates...

c'mon people, aren't we past this? :D

anyway, if he had a good time putting it together, it works right and the dude feels like it was worth his time and money, then good for him.

though it's true, that things is definitely not a mac pro.

maybe if more people do this sort of thing apple will start to see how much of a demand there really is for a mid range headless system of some sort (not that i want to get into that debate again.....:rolleyes:)

17. Random Chaos macrumors member

Actually, it isn't anywhere near as fast or as capable:

- He's running 4 cores at 2.4GHz. In comparison, a base line Mac Pro has 8 cores at 2.8GHz.
    - His video card is a 8600GTS, which is less than half the speed of the 8800GT offered by Apple.
    - His DVD drive is a read only. All Mac Pros come with the Superdrive, which has all modes of Write available to it.
    - His Mobo has only 2 PCI-E slots 16x, same as the Mac Pro, but for the other PCI-E slots he has two 1x stubby slots vs the Mac Pro's two 4x full length slots.
    - He has one Firewire 400 port, vs the Mac Pro that has 2 Firewire 400's and 2 Firewire 800's.
    - He has one Gigabit Lan port, vs the Mac Pro's 2
    - His mobo supports up to 8GBs memory, vs the Mac Pro's 32GBs.
    - His FSB is 1066MHz vs the Mac Pro's 1600MHz

I hate to say it, but that is no where near as speced out as a Mac Pro...

18. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

True dat.

19. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

you flip flopped on the point where i bolded it. i agree with your other comparisons, however, wont deny facts and numbers.

still though, when doing raw crunching, like handling PSD files and applying effects, etc. His machine will perform VERY well.

20. Norco macrumors regular

And after all is said and done, and it is time for you to upgrade your machine there is one VERY crucial fact. A year from now, he will get penny's for his machine, and you will get 75% of your money back. =)

21. Quash macrumors regular

This is a very valid point, i have bought and sold my powermac for 200$ less after using it for 16 months. It was a single 1.8 but still. That is very cheap computing. So what will cost more is actually how you look at it. If you get a 4 core mac pro now you can sell it for at least 1k $ in 3 years while this machine will be worth next to nothing. So in that way the MP is actually cheaper!

Also a mac pro is professional workstation which can run stressed 24hrs a day and has the cooling to do so. Also includes ECC ram which is vital for increased stability.

Trust me stress this pc out for 6 months and it's broke.
    This really is comparing apples and oranges. Not saying it's not interesting that it works but unless your a broke tech student who wants to run osx desperately i don't see any application for it.

22. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

That machine ain't a Mac Pro, its a Mac DIY. Also pronounced as Mac Die.

23. MacVault macrumors 65816

24. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

pretty soon we'll have some references to Germans in this thread...oops...