New Mac Pro on Dec 11? Possible clue...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chameleon, Dec 5, 2007.

1. chameleon macrumors regular

chameleon

Okay, so granted, this is hopeful speculation, but...

On Episode #0267 of GeekBrief, Cali mentions that she was recently in Cupertino to meet with Apple, but she can't divulge why until December 11th.

This would certainly seem to indicate that :apple: has something to spring on us before year end.

Could it be the new Mac Pro we've all been waiting for?

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

it could be that, or it could be one of dozens of other reasons. It's all just speculation at this point.

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I was there too! And I was riding the elevator with this guy holding a big black box with the writing "Mac Pro Mini" on the side of it. Underneath it was a box labeled "Mac Pro Ultimate" and I can't believe my cell phone camera died the night before.

Also, the guy in the elevator mentioned something about a PowerBook G5 as well.

:D

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

^ One of the better posts this side of Penryn's release.

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Man, people have too much bandwidth to burn it appears...

6. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Strange, I watched that podcast yesterday and don't remember the part about her not being able to divulge the reason why she was there. I remember her talking about some secret which she eventually divulged as being that there is a "special" Apple Store with special merchandise at the mothership (Apple HQ), but I already knew that. I'll have to re-watch it when I get home... the episode isn't on my iPod anymore.

7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

any pictures of that ?

:D

8. deathshrub macrumors 6502

It's coming at MSWF. Deal with it. A shame I'm going to be bumping this thread to the top.

9. chameleon thread starter macrumors regular

chameleon

At 1:32 into the episode, Cali says:

Again, it could be anything. An "I'm a PC, and I'm a Cali" ad?

Knowing that Intel has released the chips and a new Mac Pro seems inevitable, I'm just hoping that 1 + 1 = 2 here...

10. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

AppleTV?

Even if it's true that a new product is coming out on Dec 11th, it could be that it is the rumoured new AppleTV with the optical drive and the giant HD, (although some might consider it to be much too close to Christmas for a release of something like that.)

11. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Well, the 11th is my birthday, so it would make a good present - just so long as I don't have to pay for it myself ;-)

12. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Yea, mines the 10th. But I'm not that lucky for it to happen. Maybe you will have better luck. haha.

13. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I just want Apple to release anything at this point. I'm tired of looking at Mac OS X Leopard. Now Available. On the home page.

14. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I also love this quote from Apple Insider just released....

"Apple also continues to hold another Penryn-based system close at bay -- an 8 Core Mac Pro built around two quad-core Harpertown chips and slated for a release any time the company sees fit."

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

ahh the good old elevetor photos ... i still remember the sweet sweet irony of the "elevator" photos before the thing in paris where the imac g5 was introduced, where it was some sort of silvery/white LCD mockup thing and everybody was screaming "apple will not simply slap the computer on the back of an LCD therefor it is fake" ...while it turned out fake it wasn't that far from truth and made quite a few eating their words ;)

16. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Probably an iPhone update

17. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

What if Apple will make an announcement about the MacPro's dropping in price for the last half of December or up to January 15th. I think if Apple were to drop the prices by 200-500 bucks, I would just get one considering my G4 is on its death bed.

18. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Heh. :)
    Very cool, missed that one.

19. ksz macrumors 68000

Only minor updates are released by Apple without fanfare. Since Apple hasn't announced any media event for December 11, I doubt anything of consequence will be released then.

The following seems quite obvious to me:

Wait for a media event (ala Macworld) for a significant update

or

Get an insignificant update without a media event.

Which do you want? Since it's so close to Macworld, I would be disappointed if a Mac Pro update were announced before then because it would be a minor one.

20. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I have it on good authority that the "secret product" is a Toaster. Can't say anymore, though, because I was sworn to secrecy.

21. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Okay, I listened to the podcast and the quote is more along the lines "Visiting Apple wasn't the reason I went to Cupertino, the reason I went I can't talk about until December 11. I'm really excited about the next two months..."

So it sounds more like she went to Cupertino for another reason and decided to stop off while she was there (Ie. Apple wasn't her reason for being there)... but... I could see reading something into that. That's about the best thing I've heard to a rumor.

Anyways, we can see what happens on Dec. 11, but I'm skeptical.

22. GregPacker macrumors member

GregPacker

Well I suppose the G5 powerbook would have made a good toaster. I think the new product will be tea lights and a mirror, heh heh. Who remembers that thread? (the photos of apple's giant banquet table in a field)

23. Lord Nerdos macrumors member

Top Secret

Dec 10th release:

The Apple iDon'tCare...

24. Maddler macrumors member

Dec. 11th, after many months of speculation, Steve Jobs unveils ...

the iRack!

25. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

You have it all wrong, Apple will announce the Apple Employee of the year, take a picture of him by his parking place with the "Apple Employee of the year" sign, they will also mention that everyone needs to remember to purchase a gift of $10.00 or less for the Christmas party.