New Mac Pros = New Cinema Displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hollywoodmacguy, Nov 7, 2007.

1. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

so if, as seems likely based on today's news/rumor, the arrival of new penryn mac pros is now imminent, does that mean we can also finally expect new cinema displays to complement them? :rolleyes:

apparently it's fairly common for :apple: to release new ACDs with new pro machines.

any thoughts? and, if not soon w/new mac pros, then any other ideas re timing for a refresh/redesign?

2. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

I don't really excpect them too...but it would be cool. The only thing I could see them changing is a higher resolution for each size. maybe a skinnier lighter setup...but i honestly don't except them to do anything. I would like it though.:apple:

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I wouldn't depend on it, but it certainly would be nice .. :cool:

4. 98707 macrumors regular

Apple has not blessed us with any new signs of this.. but id *like* to say yes Steve will give us excellent machines with new processors, logic boards, graphics cards, blu-ray drives, isight displays with touch screens!!

lol that would be cool.

5. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Doubt It

The current ACD's are selling very well and use outstanding S-IPS panel. They are still state of the art.

Yes they lack the features of Dell's, Samsungs, etc, such as inputs, adjustments, etc but for Print, Photo and Video Pros they are exceptional monitors.

I personally don't forsee pro level monitor updates right now.

I could see Apple releasing a consumer grade monitor really soon, however.

6. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

The lack of a standalone iSight is a curious gap in Apple's product lineup. It's fair to expect them to address that sooner or later, either by stuffing a camera into their standard cinema displays or coming out with a second generation iSight.

Personally, I'd rather see new iSights rather than have them integrated into the displays.

7. hollywoodmacguy thread starter macrumors regular

thanks very much, dante, for chiming in. have seen your postings in other forums and know that you're especially knowledgeable in this arena.

question: any prediction on when the displays might receive a new casing, if not new specs? this form factor, beautiful as it it, has been around since 2004 and we're soon to enter 2008...

8. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Hey Mr. Hollywood. That's for comments.

You are right, for sure, these current displays are dated. For their current price, in addition to the the S-IPS and SWOP, these ACD's SHOULD by now have multiple inputs, card readers (like Dell, HP), HDMI, especially given Apple's proported New Media Focus.

However they do not. I merely think Apple is resting on its laurels in this area as they know they have a decent display for graphics pros.

That's why I think we will not see the new display technology rightaway (perfected, profiled LED), etc. Apple is content to maximize this return on investment.

But I think you might see a new design, with some added features, very soon. You may even see the perfected, profiled panel.

I think a lot of this depends on how great a revision this Mac Pro is.

If the Mac Pro is just out-of-this-world, redesigned, then I would say redesigned displays now. If the Mac Pro is merely upgraded, albiet significantly, then I think the new displays will hit with the next major redesign -- when Apple really blows up the schemea for these new Mac Pros and includes all the newest bells and whistles. These will be the next generation of Mac Pro for New Media, etc. The new displays that hit with this should really be something outstanding, or at least we hope.

Is that momemt coming soon, this winter?

I am not really sure. I am only going on my gut, and it says no. I see that moment next summer. I could be wrong.

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I think that new ACDs are quite possible. We might see them get a little bit thinner (not by much, but noticeable...sort of like the old vs. new iMac difference in thinness). I also think they'll have integrated iSight cameras, and an IR sensor built in somewhere so that mac pro'ers can use the apple remote (unless the MP already has an IR sensor...then I'm wrong lol). They won't put USB ports on it since it disturbs the aesthetic (well, I can see them putting 2 on the rear but that's about it...maybe....). They might give it the ability to swivel. Who knows? It's anybody's guess if and when they will update them.

10. sheperinski macrumors member

I seriously don't understand why people are still talking about card readers. Since when have Apple ever implemented Dell/HP-like features into their designs? Never.

I don't expect this to be one of Apple's priorities for the new displays when they do come out. Adding an internal iSight for line-consistency would be as far as they'd go in my opinion, although I'm not even sure they'll go that far. We all remember the floppy disk drive removal days, Apple is all about simplicity. And should stay that way. :apple:

11. hollywoodmacguy thread starter macrumors regular

ah, the waiting...

thanks again, dante, for your insights. saw a spirited discussion in which you were engaged in another forum on this topic and found it very compelling. and now i am ALL about S-IPS...

your reasoning here also seems persuasive. seems like timing for new ACDs really could hinge on the timing and extent of the mac pro revisions/redesigns.

assuming that is, in fact, the case, here's a related question: how likely/unlikely is it that :apple:, having promised greener LED backlit displays, would release redesigned/refreshed ACDs if LEDs are not yet available in 20", 23" and 30" sizes? am specifically wondering if/hoping that :apple: might go ahead and issue an updated line now/soon and then do a quiet refresh when the new LED screens become available in the larger sizes. although it's not exactly related, the macbooks were just quietly updated and moved to SR with no fanfare, e.g. something that had been highly anticipated was done without even a press release, much less an event...

unlikely/possible/could happen?

12. Chris F macrumors regular

I don't think you will see iSights on the highest end/biggest models because they are a security risk for many places where they are employed.

Either that or you will see an option for the high end monitors minus the iSight.

Personally for myself I want a 30" LCD and would love to buy an ACD but am waiting until Macworld SF for a refresh otherwise I am going to cave and buy something else since the technology is dated.

My needs are not pro image work but more consumer oriented (e.g: I would strongly like something with a HDCP input etc etc...) so the color cal stuff is one of those 'nice to have' but not a deal breaker.

13. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

It would seem unlikely to me. My guess would be another price drop is the major change.

FWIW, this article in engadget make it sound like larger LED backlit panels are a ways out in the future. I suspect the biggest news on that front is likely to be an LED backlit panel for the 17" MBP in 2008.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They already have two USB ports on them. And two FireWire 400s. I want three of each on the new ones, but that's just me.

15. verbose macrumors member

I agree with those citing HDCP as a motivating factor for product refresh or new consumer line. If new Mac Pros have Blu-ray drives, then Apple must offer displays that support playback of Blu-ray discs.

I am personally holding out for a Blu-ray MBP, but would pick up the HDCP display upon release.

16. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

17. sheperinski macrumors member

Good point, really good point. Yeah, I didn't think of that.

18. Claytoniss macrumors regular

Claytoniss

Wish I would of thought of that when I apperently got my someone fired from her job by bringing in my iSight to her work. I soo wasn't thinking, and thought it was a laid back company. GUESS NOT!

19. sheperinski macrumors member

Haha Jesus! You can never judge these big companies, some are strict, some are really laid back I guess (Sharp UK for instance... too laid back!)

20. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Yeah, this is the same reason they sell an iPhone that doesn't have a camera in it. Oh, wait... ;)

21. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

HollywoodMacGuy, that is the million dollar question! I think it is unlikely that we'll see the display changes until summer and I don't think Apple will simply do a change now with a refresh later. I do think the point about the new MacPros having BlueRay and needing, for instance, HDMI or HDCP is compelling. That is why my gut tells me if anything, apple is about to split its display lineup into two forks: Pro and Consumer, just like they have done with the iMac and MacPro. The Consumer might be a lower res 40" with built in camera, front row, etc, while the Pro retains similar specs as the current ACD's until the New LED are developed in an environmentally friendly way and correctly profiled to SWOP standards with a predictable color gamut.

My final words: My brother is a pro photographer. He and I have been having this discussion as we both need new monitors for our studios. He just bought two 23" ACD's and I am close to a 30". Will we disappointed if a new ACD comes out in January or next week? Sure, a bit, BUT bottom line is this: for the image work we do, these are still SWEET panels and we will have no regrets for buying them now. The panel technology is still top end for image editing, print and video work.

Thanks for the discussions on this.

Dante

22. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

oh sorry, I actually never knew that. oops........

23. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

if you're such a pro Dante(no i will not bow down to you)
    why don't you just buy a led screen instead of lcd?(the pro price is to pro for you:)joke...dont comment:))
    the cinema display specs maybe do it for you(even though you're a photographer/graphic artist you're a apple fan boy admit it:)..i will gladly call a photographer/graphic designer just to prove your point wrong that the acd are the best in the world:)..).but the talk about consumer/pro model are ludacris.
    Apple is about simplicity.
    There have never bin a pro/consumer screen from apple and never will be..there will always bin one line not 2..
    should i tell you why?
    if apple releases a pro and consumer line evryone will buy the pro line.
    And if it really should be a real pro and consumer line.The pro line would be higly expensiv only of leds and would cost from 3k -9k(??)
    Therefor higly unlikely.
    And if they ever decides to make a pro/consumer line they could cut the price of the current acd and make it the consumer(since it overprized/overrated)
    And release a brand new led line.
    You cant make the compare imac/macpro.Imac is for space saving and design nothing to do with pro ore not pro.
    your friend machatch;)

24. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

acording to buyers guide the acd will come in january.Its higly likely to come with the new macpros/january.I can make a bet on it..
    wait and see hollywoodmacguy.(not the first time you're in the display section;)...

25. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

LED refers to the method of backlighting the display. The largest commercially available LED backlit LCD display is the 15.4" in the MBP. The common method of backlighting is CCFL, which has environmental concerns due to its use of mercury.