Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
iads? very doubtful.

eventually down the track, apple will have some sort of mac os app store of some sort. i could see iads in free apps, much like we get from iphone/ipad apps now.

god knows when that will be, but it's a bit ridiculous to think they'd chuck ads into the main OS system. not even MS are stupid enough to do that...

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I certainly hope it comes in the 13" variety. Personally, I think :apple: wouldn't force all of it's current users to downgrade screen size as an upgrade.

Offering an additional size (11") is possible, but I certainly hope it is not the only option- if indeed this is announced Weds.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Apparently Jobs don't think so, and I agree. I want it to wake up to my desktop instantly like the iPhone or iPad no fuss with the sound and a black screen for a few second.

My old iBook G4 did this (well, maybe a second).

The Intel macs seem a lot slower at this though. Maybe it's the OS rather than the architecture...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Remember when Apple accidentally posted "Fast OS Switching" in an online ad for Leopard ?

Are you looking to help create something totally new? Something that has never been done before and will truly amaze everyone? Are you excited by the prospect that what you helped create would be used every day by millions of Apple customers? Then come and work on with the Mac OS X software engineering team to help build a new and revolutionary feature for Mac OS X.

Perhaps that's why there would be more telesales help etc ?

That invite also looks like the start up screen for dual booting.

Thescoot

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
The Announcements

Macbook Air
iLife '11
Mac OSX 10.7
One More Thing = Facetime in iChat (That is what the job posting was for regarding "Something that has never been done before")

KrissN

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
England
I have just checked the online store (UK), and all products with OSX now have a 2 business day shipping date. "Lion" related?

This is indeed correct. I was looking at a new Mac Mini over the weekend, hovering over the Buy button, and I Know the despatch was 24 hours, this has now changed to 2 business days along with all other OSX devices.

Upon further investigation today you can still buy Snow Leapord with 24 hours despatch, but iLife's despatch is now 1-2 weeks (on the UK store).

My prediction - new iLife available to pre-order and shipped on all new macs and a preview of Lion...

K

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
So my guess is that the next generation MacBooks will have instant sleep and wake functionality.
You mean something like this: Video: Wakeup Air vs iPad

r1c2nr.jpg

itpromike

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Um, a bunch of people had done that before Apple. The MP3 player existed well before Apple.

Read the comments when Apple announced it
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apples-new-thing-ipod.500/

Who cares about the comment. Facts and comments are often different and especially in the the tech sector. The FACT of the matter is YES there were already MP3 players out there and even hard drive based ones, however the hard drive Apple used in the iPod was significantly smaller than the ones used in ANY mp3 player before that allowing the iPod to be the smallest mp3 of it's time and the first REAL portable mp3 Player in history with that type of capacity. The reason that Apple was the first was because of their good relationship with Toshiba at the time and Toshiba being the first company to develop a 1.8inch hard drive. So while all other companies were using hard drives they were using 2.5inch drives and the iPod was using a newly developed 1.8inch drive which was SIGNIFICANTLY smaller and lighter. Also other MP3 players of that time used a single processor around 80MHZ for their processing, the iPod used 2 90MHZ processors making it quite a bit faster for all functions...

If' were going to go around calling things revolutionary or not revolutionary at least have the facts please...

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
If the 13.3" is coming with a 1440x900 display, then I hope the 13" MacBook Pro will also gain this screen. It might be enough to push me to lay down the money for my own!

However I will look at the new MacBook Airs with great interest.

Is the unknown port a MicroSIM slot for 3G data?

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Slow and expensive

ULV CPUs are slow and similar price compared to LV CPUs

i highly doubt now it is going to be mass market product now!!!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-18 at 7.32.09 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-18 at 7.32.09 AM.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 100

itpromike

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Also I think you guys have it ALL wrong, it's not instant wake and sleep they are working on because like many have posted that already exists... it's instant ON they are working on. As in instant on from a cold boot.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I hope Lion will have more focus on graphics drivers etc since gaming is really starting to set camp in OSX.

I sure hope you are correct! Maybe we will get the drivers that Scottsdale has talking about that would bring the performance of OSx in line with those of Windows. That would be awesome!

apple1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
i think he means like first of its kind... phones have been around for years... apple just made a damn good one.

The ipod no one had ever done before... a mechanical hard drive that stored your music and all fit in your pocket... no one had done that before Apple.

= What he means (I think)

Definition from dictionary.com:

radically new or innovative; outside or beyond established procedure, principles

The iPad and iPhone certainly fit that description. Possibly the app store too.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Intel also offers Core i3 and Core i5 ULV chips but those top out at only 1.2GHz. One analyst also predicted that the new MacBook Air would come in two models, and that based on high unit projections, the new Airs were likely to come in at a lower starting price. In fact, CNet has since described the starting price as "much lower" then the current $1499 entry level.
Oops.

P.S. Unlike you, guys, I'm not gonna read any news on Wednesday until I get back home from work. Gonna cook myself dinner, get comfortable at the computer and watch the whole event anew. :cool:

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Apparently Jobs don't think so, and I agree. I want it to wake up to my desktop instantly like the iPhone or iPad no fuss with the sound and a black screen for a few second.

lol comments like this make me realize how much i've taken :apple: for granted in the past few months. Switching from windows to mac was the most amazing and convenient thing i've ever done. I can't wait to hear what lion offers. my first OS X launch. I'm so excited -convert love-

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Who cares about the comment. Facts and comments are often different and especially in the the tech sector. The FACT of the matter is YES there were already MP3 players out there and even hard drive based ones, however the hard drive Apple used in the iPod was significantly smaller than the ones used in ANY mp3 player before that allowing the iPod to be the smallest mp3 of it's time and the first REAL portable mp3 Player in history with that type of capacity. The reason that Apple was the first was because of their good relationship with Toshiba at the time and Toshiba being the first company to develop a 1.8inch hard drive. So while all other companies were using hard drives they were using 2.5inch drives and the iPod was using a newly developed 1.8inch drive which was SIGNIFICANTLY smaller and lighter. Also other MP3 players of that time used a single processor around 80MHZ for their processing, the iPod used 2 90MHZ processors making it quite a bit faster for all functions...

If' were going to go around calling things revolutionary or not revolutionary at least have the facts please...

If you're going to give history lessons, lets at least teach correct information here. The iPod was great because it used a hard drive for storage, but loaded the information into RAM, so the hard drive didn't have to spin all of the time.

This meant that, where hard drive players had a battery life if roughly 3 hours, max, and flash players had a battery life many times that but could only hold ~30mb's of music, the iPod had a great 10 hour battery life AND 5gb's of storage space.

Thomas2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
Things Steve will discuss

1 - MacBook Air
2 - Mac OS 10.7
3 - iLife
4 - iWork
5 - Final Cut Express/Studio

One more thing...

6 - Game development. It will be a separate environment from Xcode and will focus solely on developing games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.