Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
I travel a lot with my Air. I can’t imagine typing without the back light in the plane. Sure, I can turn the reading light on, but that thing hurts my eyes!

Bad move Steve.

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Ill admit no back lit keyboard might change my mind. I not the best typist and I really rely being able to see the keyboard. I admire those that can type without looking, but I just never able to do it. But I think its rude to put people down because they cant. Everyone is different and just because you can do it doesnt mean that every one else should be able to. Life doesnt work like that.

Everyone has different tastes and needs, be kinda nice if we respected that instead of putting people down for it.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I recognize that the absence of a backlit keyboard is a serious inconvenience for many of you. In my case, though, not so much. I have used Mac laptops that have backlit keyboards for nearly 8 years but have only rarely used the feature. In fact, it is turned off on my MBP.

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
I have a MBA, and a MBP, and let me tell you, I never EVER use the MBA.
If I'm at home just hanging out, I use the iPad, and if I need something, I use the MBP, mainly due to the lack of a CD drive.

iPad has been destroying the sales of the MBA, and Apple is getting worried. Time to flood the market with another useless product.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I want the air.

I don't need a backlit keyboard either. I, apparently unlike many of you, use my laptop with enough light to see the keys.

I never use it complete darkness lol.

lily69

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
This is a bit disappoint, it's a great feature like on MBP, but I can live with that.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
If a lighted keyboard is a deal-breaker for you, you're either in the 0.01% that actually need one (and I'm probably overestimating), or you value the wrong things in a computer.

It's total minutia. It's a little "perk" feature for 99.9% people out there. Don't be ridiculous. :)

(I'm half-kidding....and half not-kidding)

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
My original MBA has a backlit keyboard...
so this means it's just another tactic by apple to purposely make something with crucial features missing, so they have a "revolutionary" update to the next gen.

Just like video recorders on first gen iPhone and iPad. If you really think a $200 billion company does not have the resources to put a camera in the iPad or backlit keyboard in the MBA, you need help.

I'm not complaining, just calling it how it is.

Mr. Savage

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Toronto
I just drained my bank account to pay for a new MBA which in turn caused me to miss my electric bill payment. The hydro company just shut off my lights and now I can't see my damn keyboard!

southernpaws

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
I have a MBA, and a MBP, and let me tell you, I never EVER use the MBA.
If I'm at home just hanging out, I use the iPad, and if I need something, I use the MBP, mainly due to the lack of a CD drive.

iPad has been destroying the sales of the MBA, and Apple is getting worried. Time to flood the market with another useless product.

The MBA is like a guinea pig. It's a vehicle for bringing the mb to the next step without making too big a leap. It's more of a working theory than a profit right now.

They're well aware the iPad eliminates the need for a MBA with their average consumer

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
I just drained my bank account to pay for a new MBA which in turn caused me to miss my electric bill payment. The hydro company just shut off my lights and now I can't see my damn keyboard!

Bahahahaha! Amazing! Better play some flash videos so the MBA will heat your house!

Fiddler70

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2010
there is sure alot of complainers about no backlit keyboard, seriously? do you complainers now how to type? any decent typist SHOULDN'T need to look at a keyboard to type.

LOL you just made a typo in there. Maybe look at your keyboard once in a while :p

Zulu1

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
Man! Talk about a glass half full (of koolaid) crowd.

Mines on order and I will only shed one tear if it is not backlit, then it will be all smiles as I replace my Powerbook G4 :D

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
About four pages worth of people on Apple's support forums saying that the lack of a backlit keyboard has killed the deal for them....

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
About four pages worth of people on Apple's support forums saying that the lack of a backlit keyboard has killed the deal for them....

And that is precisely why Apple will include it with the next revision. And even though I will be happy with everything else about my new MBA v 3,1, I will buy it just for the backlit keyboard.

While it seems dirty, this is the way Apple sells more Macs to the same users and more Macs to new users. Incremental upgrades all the way. Apple is King at giving us one more thing to upgrade the entire system for...

bolsen78

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Is anyone ever satisfied!!! I mean really honestly?!! Dont get it if you HAVE TO HAVE THE BL!! You do not have to whine about it my goodness you sound like girls!! I use my MB in the dark quite often and have no issues my screen lights my keyboard up fairly well for me. So stop crying and just keep your MBAs or MBPs with the BL. OK!

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Is anyone ever satisfied!!! I mean really honestly?!! Dont get it if you HAVE TO HAVE THE BL!! You do not have to whine about it my goodness you sound like girls!! I use my MB in the dark quite often and have no issues my screen lights my keyboard up fairly well for me. So stop crying and just keep your MBAs or MBPs with the BL. OK!

Do you have a Macbook Air?? NO??? Then stay out of here.

I swear, these people cropping up stating "I can type in the dark without a backlight!" or "I am a typing purist so get over it" or the extremely funny "Does your Mac Pro have a backlight" are quite pathetic.

People.... Apple purposely OMITTED the backlit keyboard from these new MBA's for no apparent reason. If the MBA never had a backlit keyboard I don't think it would be that big of an issue. But as it stands, YES the MBA DID have the backlit keyboard and Apple got rid of it.

And I bet the folks over at iFixIt will report back after their teardowns that there was no reason for the omission.

About the only people who aren't complaining/upset about it are most likely the ones with the aluminum Macbooks that came out without a backlight. The others are obviously the fanboys who will defend Apple to the nth degree about anything and everything.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Do you have a Macbook Air?? NO??? Then stay out of here.

I'm pretty sure anyone who has a Mac with a backlit keyboard is qualified to post here. I have yet to use it on my MBP and can see how it is useful, but it is hardly a deal-breaker for me. For others - sure.

Try decaf dude.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
I'm pretty sure anyone who has a Mac with a backlit keyboard is qualified to post here. I have yet to use it on my MBP and can see how it is useful, but it is hardly a deal-breaker for me. For others - sure.

Try decaf dude.

No thanks. The decaf is for the lunatic I was quoting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.