Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will we see at least 1 Mac update before the end of the month?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
Incorret. They did just this with a certain Mac Mini model, which had a significantly better processor than advertized, a month before it was announced officially.

I'd like to see the details of this rather than hearsay....
Call me a skeptic.

Apple does not ship something different than what was specifically ordered.
They either cancel the order, ship original ordered product, or possibly contact you and receive your OK to ship something different.

They won't automatically ship something different.....

Last edited:

meboy

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2012
I'd like to see the details of this rather than hearsay....
Call me a skeptic.

Apple does not ship something different than what was specifically ordered.
They either cancel the order, ship original ordered product, or possibly contact you and receive your OK to ship something different.

They won't automatically ship something different.....

That's kind of splitting hairs isn't it?
I've seen people say that happened with their orders many times.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
If they do update it tomorrow or by the end of this month, it means we won't see Kaby Lake rMB until 2017.

I wouldn't mind it if they skipped Skylake and go for Kaby Lake as soon as it's available later this year, but I don't think Apple will do this.

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
That's kind of splitting hairs isn't it?
I've seen people say that happened with their orders many times.

Huh?
The point of this post and my original reply is Apple does NOT automatically ship out an upgrade......they just don't do that, period!

Whats your point?

Last edited:

izzyfanto

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
This is exactly the news I have been waiting for for months. Been holding off upgrading from MBA. I'll buy one the moment it's available!

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
No problem, you can return it!

i bought mine on the argos card, shop is Argos (duh) and offer a 30 day return / exchange.

should i hold on it tomorrow and see if there is an update then trade in for a swap of the new model. and if none just rip open and start using this one?

RTJ

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
i bought mine on the argos card, shop is Argos (duh) and offer a 30 day return / exchange.

should i hold on it tomorrow and see if there is an update then trade in for a swap of the new model. and if none just rip open and start using this one?

RTJ
Sounds like a plan. With it being Argos best to keep it sealed (Apple however will accept open box returns without an issue).

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
What were you expecting? If it isn't this month, it's around WWDC.

f it - I'm gonna use the model coming if no change in the uk tomorrow for a re-fresh. it will do all i need anyway so...i aint messing around till WWDC i need it soon for diff reasons.

RTJ
[doublepost=1460999356][/doublepost]
Sounds like a plan. With it being Argos best to keep it sealed (Apple however will accept open box returns without an issue).

yeah i checked argos policy and no open box..

RTJ

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
f it - I'm gonna use the model coming if no change in the uk tomorrow for a re-fresh. it will do all i need anyway so...i aint messing around till WWDC i need it soon for diff reasons.
In that case, don't worry about it and enjoy it. There's always something new to wait for. From all that we know it won't be that much of an upgrade, at least not enough to suddenly make the current one completely obsolete.

Reactions: Zeebedy

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
In that case, don't worry about it and enjoy it. There's always something new to wait for. From all that we know it won't be that much of an upgrade, at least not enough to suddenly make the current one completely obsolete.

cheers man, feel a little reassured if the general consensus is that a MAJOR under hood revamp is unlikely then i think i will use it worry free..but will still wait and see if anything changes from tomorrow :)

RTJ

meboy

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2012
This is exactly the news I have been waiting for for months. Been holding off upgrading from MBA. I'll buy one the moment it's available!

Then a new Air with better chip, bigger screen, more ports, better battery, barely half a pound heavier gets released in two to three months from now... What just about everyone has been waiting for.

It's really a terrible time to buy a macbook all around. I need something in the next month or so. Bad place to be.
Buy the RMB for now and resell in a few months for an Air redo or get the Samsung Notebook 9 13.3 which is better than MB/Air Apple offers now. But what about what they offer in a few months...
Would have been easier if Apple wasn't screwing up so bad lately.

izzyfanto

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
well F ME SIDEWAYS i just bit the bullet on this last night, delivered tomorrow :(

RTJ
Yeah I've been close to ordering one but I kept telling myself my 4 yr MBA could hold me over another 2 months till WWDC. This current rMB is still plenty capable and I wouldn't feel bad purchasing one. I think if you got a good deal, you should just use it. The new one will have just marginal improvements on an already fantastic device.
[doublepost=1461000627][/doublepost]
Then a new Air with better chip, bigger screen, more ports, better battery, barely half a pound heavier gets released in two to three months from now... What just about everyone has been waiting for.

From what I've been reading the MBA are going away and it'll be just MB & MBP.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Buy the RMB for now and resell in a few months for an Air redo or get the Samsung Notebook 9 13.3 which is better than MB/Air Apple offers now.
There's no logical reason for Apple to keep an 11" MBA around.
If you truly need a 13-14" class system, you'd be dumb to buy an rMB instead.
If you don't have any preference for Windows vs OSX, go buy the Windows system.
Otherwise if you absolutely can't wait, buy something used to hold you for a couple months then resell it; the loss of value will typically be substantially less and just consider that difference as the "rental" cost for that time.

I am curious what you think Apple's screwing up lately? If you're referencing the rMB (based on some of your posts) the trouble has more to do with people buying the wrong tool for the job. When someone buys a Miata to tow their boat around and finds it doesn't work well, the problem isn't with the Miata.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark

meboy

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2012
Yeah I've been close to ordering one but I kept telling myself my 4 yr MBA could hold me over another 2 months till WWDC. This current rMB is still plenty capable and I wouldn't feel bad purchasing one. I think if you got a good deal, you should just use it. The new one will have just marginal improvements on an already fantastic device.
[doublepost=1461000627][/doublepost]

From what I've been reading the MBA are going away and it'll be just MB & MBP.

Says a few random people here based on nothing really.
I think they like to have the pricing spread out and the gap between chips dictates that there will remain 3 tiers. Whether they are called Air or not, we'll see.

Reactions: duervo

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger over the holidays. Looking forward to the Skylake rMB. I just don't know if I can wait a month to buy one during vacation in Portland to save $120 in tax.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Except that it's by far the cheapest MacBook, students buy no end of them, and they've been around so long the margins will be astronomical.
I guess I meant "logical" in terms of structure of their laptop offerings. With the rMB being smaller than the MBA11 there's not a lot of basis for the "Air" in terms of product lineup.

You are correct in that Apple clearly will keep an old model around without updating it if there's a good monetary reason for it; look how long the ipad2 lasted and the longevity of other models such as the non-retina MBP13.
[doublepost=1461005596][/doublepost]
Do you have a more recent reference to that practice? That one was over ten years ago.

Last edited:

izzyfanto

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
Says a few random people here based on nothing really.
I think they like to have the pricing spread out and the gap between chips dictates that there will remain 3 tiers. Whether they are called Air or not, we'll see.

Yeah I can see that 3 tier argument holding true. What I have a hard time seeing is selling a future MBA with the current design and screen while also selling the MB beneath it. And if the MBP gets a thinner design, they could offer a low end version for people who need more than the CPU in the MB while still being relatively light and having an i5+ CPU

The...
-12 MB
-14 MB
-14 MBP
-16 MBP
...lineup makes a lot of sense to me, especially if the MB drops a little in price.

I definitely see what your saying though.
[doublepost=1461006540][/doublepost]
Except that it's by far the cheapest MacBook, students buy no end of them, and they've been around so long the margins will be astronomical.

I'm a student and I bought the 11 MBA initially for that reason but sold it months later because the screen was too cramped for me. Felt claustrophobic. 13MBA I've kept for 4 years.

Reactions: SR71

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Do you have a more recent reference to that practice? That one was over ten years ago.

This is common practice by Apple. In fact, they've been doing it for so long now, that I honestly struggle to see how anyone that's been a member of these forums for almost 6 years now could believe otherwise.

Here's a comment regarding somebody receiving an upgraded spec 27" Retina iMac last year. It's from somebody that ordered a 27" non-Retina iMac, when apple still had the "then current" non-upgraded Retina models still listed on their site:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/05/19/appl...ok-pro-15-and-retina-imac-27/#comment-1219386

It looks like I may have been premature in my complaint. I should have looked at my order on the Apple site, not current models.

I do appear to be getting an “upgraded” spec. 3.5GHz CPU, Retina 5K display, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Dr (instead of 1TB Serial ATA) and AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5.

Apologies to Apple.

Reactions: Brookzy

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
Just a quick heads up on the Apple Store UK front - 12" Macbook configurations are still "1 Business Day", delivery slipping to Thursday. Quite clearly it has to be refreshed today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.