New Macbook, Near Perfection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dL., Jan 20, 2008.

1. dL. macrumors 6502

I've always been wanting a Macbook ever since it came out. The reasons why I never bought one till now was because:
    - yellow discoloration
    - cracking
    - overheat
    - Core Duo before when I wanted it in Sept 06
    - I thought battery life sucks because it's not extended
    - Got a Dell and nobody willing to buy it till now

Now that they've fixed the yellow discoloration, cracking and overheat, and Macbook Air imo is overpriced for my needs, I decided to pull the trigger and bought a brand new 2.2GHz Macbook the evening of the Macworld keynote :D

Wow! I never knew they've improved the Macbook so much for the past 1.5 years. My temps are between 26 (during startup), to 42 (idle with minor surfing) to 72 (heavy duty, highest I've seen). Also, it's been well known that all Core 2 Duo processors have the high pitch whine noise, and I do hear that on my Macbook. But it's A LOT quieter than my Dell and I think it's because there isn't as much ventilation openings as my Dell before. I can only hear it if I put my ear right beside the USB ports and it's still very tinny. Otherwise, I can only hear the fan noise even during 3am in my bed. Props to Apple!

Quality-wise, I must say Dell is a piece of crap. I always thought Dell is good, but I was wrong. My 9 cell (extended battery) lasted only 4.5 hours max on XP, and 3.5 on Vista. And it died on me right after my standard 1 year warranty :mad: Macbook, on the other hand, can last 10 hours if I don't touch it :p 5 hours if I surf with medium brightness, and so on. I always thought Macbook battery would only last about 3.5 to 4 hours since it's not extended or 9 cell or whatever you guys call it. Again, that surprised me.

Screen-wise, there is still a bit of uneven backlighting but I see that for almost every LCD panel. One thing that I must say is, I've never seen an Apple product with a dead pixel, whereas both my Dell LCD and laptop had dead pixels that I needed to call them to replace.

Is it perfect? Almost. I'm not sure if I'm being too picky but I find that the keyboard is a bit stiff. Maybe because it's brand new? But the ones at demo in Futureshop or Best Buy feels a lot looser and a lot easier to register my keys, especially when I type at 100 words per minute. With my stiff keyboard, sometimes the keys don't register unless I hit directly at the centre of the keys. I hope that's normal.

Another minor glitch I found is, the iSight camera is not mounted properly in the centre of the black square on every Macbook :p

Otherwise, everything else is perfect so far for my Macbook, but I know it's gonna get dirty real soon :( That's why I bought Magic Eraser already :cool:

I guess the saying, "you get what you paid for" is really true. Dell is cheaper but the quality is crap. Apple is what I will purchase from now on :D

Just wanted to share my experience. Thanks for reading!

Oh and I've upgraded my memory to 4GB and it's BLAZING FAST!

:apple: RDF group +1.

dL

2. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

I happen to have the same model as you (Macbook). I LOVE mine, I can sometimes get 6 hours battery if I set the brightness to 2nd lowest and turn off BT. Wireless range is far, far better than expected. The screen could be brighter but that's bout' it. Just thought I'd let you know.

3. dL. thread starter macrumors 6502

4. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

5. dL. thread starter macrumors 6502

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I'm jealous.. thats congrats! :eek:

7. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

8. Melan macrumors regular

The honeymoon period eh? Just wait until it starts-

I got nothing

9. dL. thread starter macrumors 6502

At the same time, I am regretting I got the iMac because I don't use it that much anymore :( The Macbook does it ALL :D

Haha why jealous? You got a blackbook way longer than I have a Macbook :p

Can anyone answer my keyboard question?

dL

10. farrell001 macrumors newbie

:d

Ordered my Macbook after keynote, got it thursday, so pleased with it!

however my keys are the same, quite annoying, hopefully they will ease up.

everything u said i agree with.:D

11. dL. thread starter macrumors 6502

I've got a twin :cool:

dL

12. jne381 macrumors regular

I bought my 2.0 MacBook on Friday after seeing the MacBook Air, and I am really happy with it. I am still waiting for my 4GB of RAM to come from crucial.

I wondered if I would miss the 0.2GHZ on the processor of the higher priced model, but then I remembered I am still using my Power Mac from 6 years ago, and it still seems to be running fine with its dual 1GHZ. As for the 80GB hard drive, if it ever gets full, I will replace it then. All of my music is still on my desktop.

Anyway, the MacBook is as near a perfect machine as I could want. The Santa Rosa chipset (with the ability to up the RAM so much) makes it a real gem.

13. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I'd like to know how you KNOW the cracking issue is fixed? Please share with us all. :cool:

14. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I think the Cracking issue is a hit or miss. My wifes black MB doesn't have that issue. I checked it very carefully the other day. And if it does develop any cracks I'll take it up with Apple.

15. dL. thread starter macrumors 6502

Assuming the cause of the crack is due to the overheat of the casing, which results in the heating of the plastic, and since the new Macbook (at least for mine) temperatures are mostly between 40 to 50 under normal use, I would say the Macbook shouldn't crack anymore. At least I hope it doesn't...

The only reason why I got the 2.2GHz is because I don't want to regret in the future that I didn't get the Superdrive.

I got my 2x2GB Corsair RAM for $75 CAD after tax and after rebate :)

dL

16. gothamm macrumors 6502a

The Macbook is an awesome choice. Easily one of the best laptops ever created. It is time tested. It has overcome several dozen issues. Its very close to flawless.

17. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

Nice find on the RAM. I got 2x 1GB sticks Kingston for $50, and thought that was a good deal..

18. dL. thread starter macrumors 6502

I got it at NCIX :) They have special this week, and it's not even the surprise sale. The surprise sale contained the OCZ 2GB RAM for $29.99 after rebate, but it was only limited one per customer. Hence I opted for the slightly more expensive Corsair one. Plus Corsair is my favourite company in terms of memory and power supplies. They never let me down :D

dL

19. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

If you had done your research, you would know, that the cracks just below the keyboard directly underneath the plastic/rubber on the screen bezel, have nothing to do with HEAT. :rolleyes:

20. dL. thread starter macrumors 6502

21. Milk*is*tasty macrumors member

Do tell what causes it, I want to know :)

22. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Brittle, cheap plastics, coupled with bad design.

23. Milk*is*tasty macrumors member

Yeah, I know about the plastics, but I mean the actual combination of the plastic and <something something> that makes it crack. Is it closing it? Closing it in a specific way? Something entirely different?

24. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Dude I already explained that. Read above. It's the plastic/rubber piece on the screen bezel that with the constant opening and closing, causes a chip to break off just below the keyboard.

Here is a pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/fuzheado/317422314/

Google it for crying out loud.

25. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

And darn them for using cheap Aluminum metal for their MBP since they dent and bend.