Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Mobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Arrandale + MacBook Pro = Feb 2010

emoticon18.gif

gfiz

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Virginia
well here's a question, if only 6,1 and 6,2 are in the last OS X code, wouldn't that indicate only two new MBP's this refresh? If so, and guesses which size is left out? Part of me says the 13" since there aren't a whole lot of i5 13" laptops available just yet...but then again the 13" seems the most in need of an upgrade since it's pretty much worse off then the latest MB line...

Steve Mobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Maybe they'll give it a bump in processor speed to keep it "Pro". Or get rid of it >:D

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Although its nice to see Core i7 in MBP, GPU is still the biggest mystery, since integrated NVIDIA is not an option. Are they going back to worse performing and not OpenCL compatible Intel integrated present on the Arrandale chip or using a dedicated GPU only, which potentially means sacrificing battery life...

Lord Flashheart

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
Cardiff by the Sea, CA
Although its nice to see Core i7 in MBP, GPU is still the biggest mystery, since integrated NVIDIA is not an option. Are they going back to worse performing and not OpenCL compatible Intel integrated present on the Arrandale chip or using a dedicated GPU only, which potentially means sacrificing battery life...

I just hope the new MBP sport an ATI GPU. 58xx or 56xx. It can be BTO, but I hope its an option.

coolmacguy

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2002

I hope the former, because if they go with discrete only they'll probably pick a sucky one.

dpru

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010

Why not just use the integrated graphics that is now sitting on the processor in the same way as they used to use the integrated nvidia, and then switch to a dedicated card when needed in the same way as has been done? not hard.

cferra

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, I'm just as anxious about a new MBP model as much as the rest of you guys, but there is something that's not adding up spec wise, the memory in particular. Similarly spec'd machines with core i5 /i7 have DDR3 Memory running at 1333 mhz as opposed to 1067. I would imagine that new MBPs would take advantage of the faster memory.

Chris

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Apple doesn't do BTO for integrated GPUs especially for notebooks. They have to design a completely new board and replace it for every order which they don't do.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, I'm just as anxious about a new MBP model as much as the rest of you guys, but there is something that's not adding up spec wise, the memory in particular. Similarly spec'd machines with core i5 /i7 have DDR3 Memory running at 1333 mhz as opposed to 1067. I would imagine that new MBPs would take advantage of the faster memory.

Chris

My new quad-core i7 iMac uses DDR-1067 memory.

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Why not just use the integrated graphics that is now sitting on the processor in the same way as they used to use the integrated nvidia, and then switch to a dedicated card when needed in the same way as has been done? not hard.

Possible but it would still be performing worse than 9400M and incompatible with OpenCL, i don't think those make good selling points, especially considering the integrated GPU is the mostly used one.
Also what about 13" with integrated only GPU? it will only make them significantly worse performing than previous generation.

cferra

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
Im surprised, I purchased a new sony vaio last week with the i7 and it came with the 1333 memory ... I thought that the new 2010 chips needed that speed.

cferra

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
the geekbench website must be getting hammered or it was taken down, the page will not display now.

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Im surprised, I purchased a new sony vaio last week with the i7 and it came with the 1333 memory ... I thought that the new 2010 chips needed that speed.

Thats Clarksfield.
Arrandales are either 800 or 1066 Mhz.

ermir4444

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Toronto On
it seems that geekbench is overloaded. It took me a long time to open the link as well as browse other results but the 6.1 is still there

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

The Vaio uses these CPU's :
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor (1.60GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-820QM processor (1.73GHz)

The supposed new MBP uses the faster 2.66Ghz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.