New MacBook Pro Expectations

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
With the new MacBook Pros likely due out tomorrow I felt it was best to have an expectation setting thread. Here are my personal thoughts, feel free to comment, add, etc. I will update if anyone has other suggestions or things to add.

List has been updated with various suggestions from the comments, keep em coming and I will keep modifying the master list.

Things you can def count on:
-Processor bump, likely core i5 and core i7
-15" & 17" Updates

Things you can probably count on:
-HD size bump
-New Nvidia Graphics processor

Things you can maybe count on:
-Memory bump
-13" Updates (I only say this because of the leaked part numbers)
-Resolution Bump in 15" & 17" Models
-IPS Screens (currently being used in iMacs and iPad)
-New SSD Options
-3G Option similar to iPad where no contract is needed, can turn on/off whenever you want

Things I wouldnt get my hopes up for:
-USB 3
-HDMI Input
-Lightpeak
-ATI Graphics
-BluRay Drives
-16:9 resoutions, my thought here is that Apple will stick with the current form factor, with the iPad they proved the 16:9 can look really weird and sometimes its better to stick with what works.
-Non-BTO SSD Options, AKA SSD being a standard option that you can buy in an Apple store
-TRIM Support for SSDs (This would have to come as a software update)
-WiMax
-An iPhone/iPad like touchscreen in leu of a trackpad
-Anything else that is new, bleeding edge, etc

In my opinion anything else would be a surprise, if you expect anything other then those things prepare to be disappointed!

Set your expectations accordingly and then you wont have to be disappointed, come on here and complain, start new whiney threads ;)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Isn't there already a thread bout this?

I know I'm a little bit fuzzy when it comes to memories, but I seem to remember a thread with seven posts, or parts, that talked about all the thinks you mentioned.

Ah, I found it.

It was buried on Forum Spy.

andromedaan

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
i5 cores for 13" & 15", i7 for 17".
Base model HDD will be upgraded to 250GB (just like the base model MacBook)
base model 13" will still have 2GB (not 4GB) i think.

my 2 cents ;)

Sequin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
I hope there is a slight resolution increase. It doesn't have to be dramatic anything. One size up would even make me happy. When I do get my beautiful 15" MBP it'll be sad if I have to go down a resolution size. D:

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
My take on the list

Likely -Processor bump, likely core i5 and core i7
Likely -15" & 17" Updates

Very Likely-HD size bump
Very Likely-New Graphics processor

Likely -Memory bump
Likely -13" Updates (I only say this because of the leaked part numbers)

Not a Chance -USB 3
Likely -New Screens
Not a Chance but higher odds than USB 3 -Lightpeak
Not specific enough -Anything else that is new, bleeding edge, etc

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
Isn't there already a thread bout this?

I know I'm a little bit fuzzy when it comes to memories, but I seem to remember a thread with seven posts, or parts, that talked about all the thinks you mentioned.

Ah, I found it.

It was buried on Forum Spy.

Seriously that thread is way to jammed with crap, I created this to actually have a discussion about peoples expectations

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
Likely -Processor bump, likely core i5 and core i7
Likely -15" & 17" Updates

Very Likely-HD size bump
Very Likely-New Graphics processor

Likely -Memory bump
Likely -13" Updates (I only say this because of the leaked part numbers)

Not a Chance -USB 3
Likely -New Screens
Not a Chance but higher odds than USB 3 -Lightpeak
Not specific enough -Anything else that is new, bleeding edge, etc
Just curious, why do you think new screens are likely, Also I couldn't remember the screen tech everyone is asking for.

Also updated in the list, resolution stuff

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
Just curious, why do you think new screens are likely, Also I couldn't remember the screen tech everyone is asking for.

IPS screens.. it's kinda likely because they are being used in the imacs and ipad.. but who knows.

apw100

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Jacksonville, FL

1. Because the iPad is using an IPS screen, it would make sense for Apple to use them in their laptops.

2. People are hoping that there will be IPS screens. Much better viewing angle, 8-bit color instead of 6-bit(hopefully, some IPS's have been 6-bit)

I would personally prefer an upgrade to an IPS panel over a simple resolution bump, but both would be nice! Also, matte screens should be standard on a "pro" laptop, not glossy.

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
1. Because the iPad is using an IPS screen, it would make sense for Apple to use them in their laptops.

2. People are hoping that there will be IPS screens. Much better viewing angle, 8-bit color instead of 6-bit(hopefully, some IPS's have been 6-bit)

I would personally prefer an upgrade to an IPS panel over a simple resolution bump, but both would be nice! Also, matte screens should be standard on a "pro" laptop, not glossy.
Thanks for the explanation, I put it in the maybe list on the master list.

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
Sooner than later mods will merge this to the giant thread... That's why it is!
Consider this and my previous post a plea to the mods to let us have a separate thread to actually have a discussion on peoples expectations of the tech that will go into new laptops without having all the crap going on in that thread in-between.