Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
i hope that they do whatever is the best. we don't want any drop in quality or increase on prices :)

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
How will we know if apple updated this? Do you think they would directly call it out?

On past Macs I've used the part number to look it up and determine the manufacturer and type.

Go to Color Sync Utility > Displays > Open Displays > Click Color LCD > At "Factory Profile" on the right side of the window click on Open > in the new window scroll to the second last entry and click on "Apple display make..." > there you've got manufacturer and model.

But hopefully you will be able to tell just by looking at it. :cool:

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
Does everyone think the form factor will stay the same?

I know there was some talk of MacBook Pros going the 16:9 route like the iMacs have.

I personally think they will stick with the current form factor, especially since they didnt go 16:9 with the iPad

cuhwris

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
I'm confused in Apple's rationale in only updating the 15/17s (assuming this is the case). Is there a possiblity they forgot a number? I wanted the 13 because it's "cheap" and looks awesome while being portable.

I did read that possibly combined 13/MBA, but eh. I'd hate to pay MORE money for that even if it did get released with this refresh. I rather have a 'bulkier' MBP and pay my 1.2k, instead of an outrageous price for being axorexicly thin..

iTootyFrooty

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
Essex, UK
Dissapointment

Personally I believe processor updates will be a dissapointment.
All you have to do is look at the iMac updates, not even the top model was an i7 standard, it was an option.
My Processor Expectations:
13 inch- i3 (Option to upgrade to i5 possible but very unlikely)
15- Entry Model i3 (Same as 13 inch for i5)
Next Model i5
Next Model i5 (i7 upgrade option)
17- i5 (i7 upgrade option)

Just a guess, but thats what I think will happen.

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
I'm confused in Apple's rationale in only updating the 15/17s (assuming this is the case). Is there a possiblity they forgot a number? I wanted the 13 because it's "cheap" and looks awesome while being portable.

I did read that possibly combined 13/MBA, but eh. I'd hate to pay MORE money for that even if it did get released with this refresh. I rather have a 'bulkier' MBP and pay my 1.2k, instead of an outrageous price for being axorexicly thin..

I wouldnt have too much concern about the 13", just because it wasnt in the leaked part numbers doesnt necessarily mean its not getting updated

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
So is our list complete? Anything else to add/remove? Anything you would put in another place on the list?

If we get this list solid we can always go back and compare once the updates have come out and see how wrong or right we were

GregGebhardt

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Greg, it's a well known fact that the only people who know less about Apple product launches than we do are Apple employees. They will find out when they arrive at work in the morning.

Well we will see. I just purchased my new MBPro on Saturday and will be taking it back for a newer model if it arrives in the next few weeks.:rolleyes:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
How will we know if apple updated this? Do you think they would directly call it out?

So far, Apple has been putting that out on their website.

I'm actually quite happy that Apple is finally embracing IPS panels. A few years ago, I have a T60p with an IPS panel and it was a dying breed; yield was low and manufacturers didn't want to make any more panels as the demand was low as well; looks like if Apple can pick it back up, demand will increase and hence we can begin to see more computers with it. I'm just sick of the TN, PVA, and MVA crap that's been going around.

mschaef

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
  • Arrandale CPU
  • Optional WiMax and/or 3G
  • Better GPUs (Although I expect the non-Pro's to make do with the Arrandale GPU, when they get updated.)
  • 16:9 Displays

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
  • Arrandale CPU
  • Optional WiMax and/or 3G
  • Better GPUs (Although I expect the non-Pro's to make do with the Arrandale GPU, when they get updated.)
  • 16:9 Displays

I forgot about 3G, That was an option I would really like to see them add on especially if it could be just like the iPad where you didnt need a contract and could activate it or cancel it whenever you wanted.

I will add that to the list

Also, why 16:9 I dont understand the appeal of that. I get that its the widescreen movie format but it seems like a funky ratio for a laptop computer.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
I wouldnt have too much concern about the 13", just because it wasnt in the leaked part numbers doesnt necessarily mean its not getting updated

I'd bet that we won't see the 13" refreshed with i3/i5. This would force Apple to A.) go back to Intel GMA GPUs or B.) include a dedicated GPU. I'm sure a dedicated GPU isn't out of the question, but it would drive prices up and I imagine they would have to revamp the cooling system.

I'm interested to see what they'll do with the 13" MBPs, although I'm betting they'll just be a C2D spec bump, keeping the 9400m.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
The only way I am upgrading is Usb 3, though I would prefer a 1920x1080 screen found on the Studio Xps 16.

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
The only way I am upgrading is Usb 3, though I would prefer a 1920x1080 screen found on the Studio Xps 16.

Thats the whole point of this thread, prepare to be disappointed my friend. If they come out tomorrow with USB3 you can tell me I told you so ;)

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
Usb 3

I think you will be sitting this upgrade round out. Apple has not participated in the USB 3 development group, the standards for USB 3 were not finalized until just recently, and intel says USB 3 will not be included in their chipsets until 2011.:eek:

dreary

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
what does everyone think the processor speed of the base 15inch is going to be? 3ghz?

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
Who's going to verify the list

Ok we are all placing odds and making predictions, so who is going to check and see what was right and what was wrong tomorrow. Oh yeah tomorrow is kind of on the list also. LOL :p

Quicksilver867

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Philly
floppy disk. thanks

Fo sho. And I'll be holding out for the Zip 100 drives. If we're lucky we'll get the Zip 250s.

In all honesty, I expect the following.

-i5 processors across the board. maybe an i7 in the top-top notch 17".
-4GB across the board, buildable to 12GB. (at an ungodly cost, but still)
-250GB HD on the lowest-end models, 320 on the model above, 500, then 640 on the highest spec ones.
-256GB and 512GB SSD options, for those looking to burn their money.
-IPS panels in at least the 15s and 17s, but resolution bumps across the board.
-respectable onboard graphics in the 13s and lowest-spec 15, but some nice HD5000 series or (gag) Nvidia 300 series in all the rest.
-same battery life, perhaps better, but I'm not going to complain if there is no increase.

I probably forgot some stuff...no matter what happens, I'm excited about these things!

somebody check this for me when they're out :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.