Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today unveiled new MacBook Pro models, and while some customers will be disappointed that there is now a notch at the top of the display, one positive is that both the 14-inch and 16-inch models now feature a 1080p webcam, also known as the FaceTime camera.

macbook-pro-2021-notch.jpeg

Tech specs on Apple's website indicate that the 1080p camera is complemented with an advanced image signal processor for improved video quality compared to previous-generation MacBook Pro models, which had a 720p webcam. During its event, Apple said the camera has a larger sensor with more efficient pixels for 2x better low-light performance.

The new MacBook Pro models also feature Apple-designed M1 Pro and M1 Max chips, a ProMotion display with an adaptive refresh rate between 24Hz and 120Hz, up to 10 hours longer of battery life, and the return of an HDMI port, SD card slot, and MagSafe. In addition, the Touch Bar has been removed in favor of a return to a row of physical Fn keys.

The new MacBook Pro models can be ordered now and will be available on October 26, with pricing starting at $1,999 for the 14-inch model and at $2,499 for the 16-inch model in the United States. The notebooks come in Silver and Space Gray.

Article Link: New MacBook Pro Finally Features a 1080p Webcam Within a Notch

Last edited:

osx86

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
so I guess your not supposed to watch anything fullscreen. damn that was a bad design choice for a laptop. on a phone due to bezel restrictions I can understand... but a notch on a laptop? come on, you are better than this apple

JonathanLevine

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2021
For the love of God dude there’s gotta be at least one person on their design team who thinks this looks absolutely horrific. Their design team is terrible. How somebody at Apple or even multiple people allowed the notch to make it over to the Mac so unnecessarily needs to be fired immediately. I just can’t comprehend why they decided to do this.

tracker_oz

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2002
Why would anyone have an issue with the notch when it is so clearly integrated as part of the menubar system? Looks like good use of otherwise dead space? Unless these people out there have engineered ways to get around the fundamental engineering and physics issues no-one else can?

Now, the fact that the prices keep creeping up – and as a user in Australia I still pay the "far-far away" tax – is a bummer. But no different than ever really. In fact, the M1s have already spoiled us all in reality. Now I have to think about deluding myself that I need a Pro-level machine for my work; the same as 90% of the people that will buy these!

Nice job Apple. Killed the PC industry a little more and then kicked the PC laptop corpse. :)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I do like how they decided to use the notch area for the menu bar. That makes perfect sense. The menu bar on my Mac has nothing in the mid-section anyway. It's just wasted space. But it's a pity Apple didn't incorporate FaceID into it. At the price point of those machines, it would have made financial sense. And what an ease of use it would be: just open the lid and you're on your desktop.

tracker_oz

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2002
I do like how they decided to use the notch area for the menu bar. That makes perfect sense. The menu bar on my Mac has nothing in the mid-section anyway. It's just wasted space. But it's a pity Apple didn't incorporate FaceID into it. At the price point of those machines, it would have made financial sense. And what an ease of use it would be: just open the lid and you're on your desktop.
Exactly. Really clever engineering and integrated use of available space. Kudos Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.