Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Very unlikely. The punch hole rumor never made sense, since the iPhone would then just look like any other Android phone and Apple prefers brand recognition. Not to mention, why would they bother shrinking the notch if they planned to fully remove it a year later?
Because they want the iPhone 14 Pro to look different from the iPhone 13 Pro to entice more people to upgrade. I don’t believe there will be a punch hole either because there’s no way Apple could shrink the FaceID components that small, it’s impossible. What they could do is shrink it a little more and integrate it into the top bezel, giving us a “clean” display with no intruding notch. I can definitely see that happening and people would know at first glance it’s not a iPhone 12 Pro or 13 Pro.

The shrink of the notch is so minor that I believe the only reason they did that was to accommodate another component like the enlarged camera system or maybe something else. It’s foolish to think Apple is now committed to the “new” notch for years to come or even next year’s iPhone 14 Pro. It’s possible the iPhone 14 might retain that notch, but I think it would make sense for Apple to change the 14 Pro to further differentiate it from the 14.

firelighter487

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
The Netherlands
Dead space? I have menubar icons that go entirely across the screen. The notch is REMOVING valuable space for me.
how? i have quite a crowded menu bar and i don't come close.
Screenshot 2021-10-20 at 21.05.30.png

my display is scaled to 1440x900 btw

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I can be wrong but I think Apple added a notch so you do not install windows or linux on it because it won't work with correctly with the notch.

waiting for an app to create a virtual black bezel on the sides of the notch.

firelighter487

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
The Netherlands
I can be wrong but I think Apple added a notch so you do not install windows or linux on it because it won't work with correctly with the notch.

waiting for an app to create a virtual black bezel on the sides of the notch.
excuse me? linux can easily be coded to ignore that notch. i could do it in 10 minutes probably

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
excuse me? linux can easily be coded to ignore that notch. i could do it in 10 minutes probably

I actually do not know I am not programmer. How will GNOME work with a notch biting the middle of the screen? how it will affect the themes. full screen? idk

even so, linux can't run right on M1 so far they have like only 3 or so people working on it most of them are depending on a guy called marcan and donations are too low already he only reached 56% of donations to make this his full time job. Sad and shameful on the open source community and linux users from corporates and everyone else...https://www.patreon.com/marcan

How's living in your bubble? 9.54% marker share is nowhere near killing the pc...

cpu performance wise, not sales number wise. Although I wonder about profitability.

Reactions: tracker_oz

firelighter487

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
The Netherlands
I actually do not know I am not programmer. How will GNOME work with a notch biting the middle of the screen? how it will affect the themes. full screen? idk
there's an app i used to use that allows you to split up one screen into multiple virtual screens. that way you can have one with just the top bar at the top where the notch is and another one on the rest of the display.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
View attachment 1877881

You want to tell me which of those menus I should get rid of?
For starters, you have date and time twice.

CPU can be seen as a total (instead of per core) and that's another space saver.

I never quite looked at the network stats so I could very well live without it. If something fishy is going on with the network you can always temporarily enable it back in a snap.

Then I think that you have to revisit the other apps to see if there is any one that you don't really use much in the toolbar.

Just my two cents. :)

Good luck!

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

Kastellen

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
For starters, you have date and time twice.

CPU can be seen as a total (instead of per core) and that's another space saver.

I never quite looked at the network stats so I could very well live without it. If something fishy is going on with the network you can always temporarily enable it back in a snap.

Then I think that you have to revisit the other apps to see if there is any one that you don't really use much in the toolbar.

Just my two cents. :)

Good luck!
Thanks for the serious answer. I actually have two clocks as the one from iStat brings up my calendar. I can remove the day of the week from the Apple clock, though. I also can probably dump the iStat temperature.

And truth be told, on my laptop (the menu bar I included was my desktop, but they are similar) I do use the “Hide Menu Icons” app from the Parallels Toolbox suite to hide the lesser used ones much of the time, but I was trying to make the point that Apple (and I guess some non-power users) just assumes the middle of the menu bar is wasted space, when it isn’t for everybody. I’m sure most people will not care about the notch, as they don’t have a full menu bar (or so rarely do it doesn’t bother them). But I’d love an option to lower the menu bar below the notch and just ignore the two “ears”, because the menu space is more important to me than the extra vertical height. Sounds like a 3rd party app opportunity!

Kastellen

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
but the system sorts itself out usually.
For most people, yes. For me, minutes are dollars. I need to monitor slowdowns, bandwidth shortages, etc. I'm not saying I'm typical, but my needs are my needs. Apple's choice to take out part of the menu bar impacts my needs.

Kastellen

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
For most people, yes. For me, minutes are dollars. I need to monitor slowdowns, bandwidth shortages, etc. I'm not saying I'm typical, but my needs are my needs. Apple's choice to take out part of the menu bar impacts my needs.
Have to follow-up: there is a utility that I already use called RDM, which makes alternate screen resolutions available that the regular Displays control panel does not. My understanding is that this has been updated for the new MacBook Pro models to include a resolution that makes the "ears" and notch area into unusable space, so that the screen starts just below them as if Apple had not added the extra real estate. When my new MBP comes in after Thanksgiving, I'm going to try this out if the notch interferes with my menu items as I fear it will. Third party tools to the rescue!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.