Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
To me, the funniest part about all the complaining about a notch that content appears below is that most people have been living with one that content appears above this whole time.

Edit: Yes I mean the Dock, or the wasted space on either side of it depending on how you look at it.
That's why... if you are a pro... you actually autohide the Dock.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
By having a bigger bezel on top? Not really a mystery. I prefer the MBP solution - more screen space for the menu bar.
The XPS does not have a bigger bezel anywhere.

For me, the notch is a distraction, as if someone left a barbecue sauce thumbprint in the middle of the top of my screen when opening it. I often hid the menu bar, so now it has to stay there to hide that thing hanging down the top of my screen that I'd like to flick off until I realize it's built in.

No one wants a notch, they're just willing to live with it.

As it's the case with Apple, there is ALWAYS a drawback you have to get around to be able to enjoy the KILLER stuff they put into their products.

The pre-2016 MBP design with updates would have been better than this, in my opinion.

I'm seriously thankful the iPad is where it's at capability-wise, because I really don't like these machines. Maybe they'll grow on me (like the iMac did), but I don't really need it to.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
Imagine editing a photo, using your trackpad to zoom into a section and the big black rectangle notch covers part of your image, so you zoom back out again and move it around so you can see the full image again.

The notch was ugly enough on the iPhone, now they've gone and added it to the MacBook. For clean aesthetic fans, the notch is awful. Even more annoying that the iPad looks better and is the more futuristic device (touch screen, pencil, attachable keyboard etc.), but people need devices like the MacBook to do their day job (Xcode, Ableton Live, Unity, Unreal Engine to name a few).

From a programmers perspective, it makes app design that little bit more awkward and I'm wondering if Windows will ever have support for this awkward layout.

I had high hopes for this machine, reluctantly will hold on to my 2013 MacBook pro for now.

me22

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Imagine editing a photo, using your trackpad to zoom into a section and the big black rectangle notch covers part of your image, so you zoom back out again and move it around so you can see the full image again.

From a programmers perspective, it makes app design that little bit more awkward and I'm wondering if Windows will ever have support for this awkward layout.
So far everything we've actually seen suggests that the menu/notch part of the screen is not available for windows or editing content ("full screen" content ends just below it).

danvalor

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Remember that they didn't need to put a notch here, they did it as a courtesy to help us acclimate to the larger notch when FaceID gets here. If you can't afford a notch you can use this wallpaper to pretend that you're up to date.

Attachments

• macosmontereywallpapernotch.jpg
    macosmontereywallpapernotch.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 101

danvalor

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
All you people complaining about the notch don’t realize that it doesn’t give you less screen real estate, it gives you more. Same 16X9 ratio, but a bit more on top now for the menu bar. Maybe you don’t like the look, but what on earth will it possibly cover up? Functionally, it’s a no-brainer
There is such a thing as "too much." For instance for me personally I would find the MacBook Pro trackpad a little more ergonomic if it was a little smaller because of occasional accidental input while typing. If they made it larger and added a notch I would really find it annoying. Same with the screen. Just because the touch bar added real estate didn't improve the usability of the device.

Reactions: lasyos

makitango

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I guess it was impossible to move the screen just down a notch, or was the bezel at the bottom so important?

Idiots.

Reactions: obiwan

Jakewilk

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
There is such a thing as "too much." For instance for me personally I would find the MacBook Pro trackpad a little more ergonomic if it was a little smaller because of occasional accidental input while typing. If they made it larger and added a notch I would really find it annoying. Same with the screen. Just because the touch bar added real estate didn't improve the usability of the device.
In the case of a screen there is definitely improved usability… it’s not like an edge to edge track pad at all

sudo-sandwich

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
It's not that simple as you must have X amount of menu items. What amount may fit in English may not in another language.
Yeah, but they always had that problem. In fact it was worse back when the displays were lower-res. Losing one or two slots isn't a huge deal.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
And people would complain about the tall forehead, Apple makes all their bezels the same size all the way around, there are still flag ship phones without symmetrical bezels, and I think they look horrible(my opinion). A notch will alway provide more screen real-estate, if they make it 74 pixels taller, they could also add a notch to that, and have more screen.

I personally think that those motorized cameras would be the best solution. Then I know my camera isn't capturing anything when hidden, takes no extra screen, and you don't have to worry about dropping it as much as you do with a phone.
But then it wouldn't be 16/10 ratio.

And yeah, I'm sure there is demand for a 17/18" MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.