Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I was considering the 15" pro to replace my old dell but how would I connect my iPhone 6s lightening cable to the 15" pro? I would have to shell out another $25.00 for an adapter?

How would you leave the store with it, you'd have to pay about $250 in taxes. How would you get to the store, you'd have to burn about $10 in fuel?

It's a $2500+ purchase, I don't believe that you decided against it purely for 1% additional (less for Amazon Basics equivalent) to buy the proper cable.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I really wish apple would've gone with the windows surface look! Being able to flip the screen into a tablet that has OSX on it and being able to do creative graphic design with a apple pencil would've been awesome.
You don't have to wish it..go get it. (note: don't bother with "If only it has os x" comment).

Reactions: ackmondual

cire1244

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Man, I'm a little bummed. All I wanted was MagSafe and the same price point.

I am OK losing the SD card, thunderbolt, even USB-A. I'm coming from a non-retina MBP so I'll also be bummed about losing the LED battery indicator on the case, but that's old news.

I'm probably still going to buy one, but damn you Apple for eliminating my excitement for a new Mac...

Trager

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
I don't understand the fuss about the pricing. It seems to be mostly in line with the previous (and earlier) generations?

Eh... the minimums cost 20% more, not to mention most users probably have multiple chargers, all of which need to be replaced. I keep a charger at home, one at my office, and one in my laptop bag. Considering that, and needing to get USB-C hubs or other replacements for all of my peripherals, "upgrading" to the new MBP would cost me something like $300-$500 over the already high sticker price.

If I'm going to do that, I might as well start looking at the Surface Book i7 and spend that extra scratch on starting the conversion to using Windows 10 instead of MacOS. It's becoming increasingly clear that Apple is much more fixated on locking customers in than providing any kind of worthwhile value proposition, and their design and user experience has taken a precipitous nose dive.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I hear some people freaking out about the keyboard, but I guess it depends on where you're coming from. I haven't been using a computer for going on 5 years now. I've been using an iPad exclusively. I've gotten used to, and quite good at typing on the iPad virtual keyboard. So going to the keyboard on the MacBook or these new MacBook pros is no big deal for me. Feels absolutely springy to me. But others coming from the old butterfly keyboards may feel differently.

MauiDad

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
hmmm. expensive? I read a comparison of the M$ laptops/allin1 bearing similar feature sets. These machines are $800 to $1000 more expensive. For this you get a not quite as good screen, but it doubles as a tablet. so you can use an uber expensive computer as a tablet, which compromises to be either, or buy a Mac and an iPad which are best in class at both (and for you haters, you can argue that brand Samsung or what not is 1% better or something, but they all are so far above the awesome bar, that that wouldn't matter anyway, even if you believe it).

So what you seem to be saying I that you don't need a high end computer. simple answer - don't get one.

I have yet to see any reasonable analysis showing that apple products are more expensive than comparable quality products from some other vendor. Has anyone noticed that you don't need to upgrade CPUs much anymore, the annual 10-15% improvement from intel is simply not worth it.

Fidgetyrat

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
People keep comparing this apple to previous generations and saying the price is in line. "Apples" and oranges. Compare the hardware in the new MBP to that of comparable PC counterparts and this thing is overpriced even by Apple standards.

I have a feeling most people wouldn't be settling for the base models knowing RAM is hard wired. After bumping ram and processor to be at least as fast as the previous generation, you're approaching the 3k-4k price range. Ugh!

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Can't connect to current iPhone (7) without adapter.
Can't use iPhone 7 Lightning headphones without another adapter.
Can't plug in camera cards without adapter.
External monitors will need a another new adapter.
Can't connect just about anything you already own without an adapter (mouse, keyboard, USB drives/devices/printers).
Costs much more than before.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
everyone bitching about the ports, for me, thats the one thing I have the least trouble with. USB-C ports are goign to be the same as your USB-A for connectivity.you will just have a difference wire. Where for more devices you connect, like printers, mobile hard drives, etc, you'll just need to replace a single cable. Instead of USB-a to Micro usb (or whatever flavour you need), it'll be USB-C to micro-usb.

your devices don't need to change at all. And you can get USB-C to MicroUSB cables for as low as 5.99 right now.

the only devices I see having a real problem are USB memory sticks. for those you'll need an adaptor. And it will take a while for USB-C based memory sticks to become the norm. There are just too many existing USB-A memory sticks and way too many USB-A machines in the world to just throw away USB-A overnight.

What gets me is the price and the keyboard. the new MBP is a great laptop. But the entry level price for the 13" quad core is $2000 Canadian (Apple shoudl not have raised the price). And I HATED the keyboard on the MacBook. Its going to take me a good session of trying out the new keyboard before I'm willing to spend $2000 on something that I might hate... also, no physical ESC key is almost a show stopper for me. I spent too much time in VIM

All in all, Great Laptop, but hardly revolutionary, nor warrant of the self congratulatory masturbation that yesterday's keynote promised.

Reactions: zemsantos

amegicfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2016
nyc
What I want in a laptop:

1. long battery time
2. speed
3. light weight
4. ports (i can't believe i have to write ports)

and personally: magsafe

why do we need to pay a premium for a touch bar ?
they should have released the 15" with a touch bar option, not default

I don't care about thinness at the expense of function

Last edited:

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
And no one was surprised that it was more expensive and lacked ports...

It has WAY more and flexible in out capability than the limited older versions, usb-c/tb3 is the future for macs and for PCs. Learn more about it.
Tired of idi*ts complaining about ports on a computer that has 4 usb-c/thunderbolt3 ports..

Increased price is the only thing thats ok complaining about. But then again no one force you to buy it.

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
"Older accessories." I'm sure many will think that sounds harsh but the world will follow suit and USB-C will become the norm on PCs as well.
[doublepost=1477675443][/doublepost]

Years behind what? Specialty gaming laptops?

1) Many PC's already have USB-C 3.1, it's Apple only that finally has added it to their lineup on more than 1 device.

2) The new pro 450 GPU is apparently VERY similar to the R7 250X, which the (nearly 2-year-old ENTRY level gaming GPU) Nvidia 965M destroys. The Pro 460 may be a close fight.

The 965M is also the GPU in the new Surface Book, and in a 2yr old Razer Blade laptop. There is nothing "specialty" about the 965m. A "specialty" gaming laptop from 2013 would still wipe the floor with the MBP, Apple is just now ALMOST even with a 2014 entry level performance GPU.

Reactions: 0388631

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
The new MacBook Pro is also expensive, although the non-Touch Bar model is slightly more affordable at $1,499.

This is not a fair statement as it makes it sound like the only difference is the touch bar. The RAM speed is lower (1866 vs 2133). I wonder if there will be differences in SSD speed.

One interesting thing -- The non-touch model has a battery with 10% more capacity, but yet the battery life is the same! So the touch bar consumes less power than the physical keys? (Just kidding.) Anyone know why the difference? Is it due to the RAM?

Reactions: zemsantos

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
I don't understand the fuss about the pricing. It seems to be mostly in line with the previous (and earlier) generations?

Let's see if we can manage to explain it to you then.

The $1500 model is basically the previous version with a never version of a cheaper CPU. So for the cheaper lower tier CPU they *only* raise the price $200.

The $1800 model is basically the same as a the old base version with a bump to a newer version of the same CPU and the touch strip. So *only* $500 more for the same old computer plus a gimmick.

Get it now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.