new MacBook Pro keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gator37, May 6, 2019.

1. Airboy1466 macrumors 6502

Airboy1466

Sadly my friend there is not a way but the best part is you can always return that model and get a 2015 from a secondary market and upgrade to the newest generation MacBook when it releases.

2. pshufd macrumors 6502a

If I had one of the newer MacBook Pros and I hated the keyboard but otherwise like the computer, I'd just buy an external keyboard and use that. If you need to travel a lot with it, then I'd look for something thin and light and tuck it into my bag. An external mouse would go along with it so that you can use it on the side instead of having to reach over the external keyboard to get to the trackpad.

3. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I don't mind the feel of the newer keyboard but I still use an external keyboard because of how prone the butterfly keyboard is to failure.

4. pshufd macrumors 6502a

That's another good point though Apple should replace the keyboard should it fail. Someday they might find a real fix.

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

You either like the "new keyboard", or you don't.
    I don't.

But... there's no way to "adjust" it.

6. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Apparently you have to “adapt” to the new keyboard.

All kidding aside, give it some time and you will get used to it. You probably still won’t like it as much as your old one but typing will get easier and you’ll feel more comfortable with a little time.

7. Idefix macrumors 6502a

Personally, I really object to the idea that you have to use an external keyboard and a mouse in a "Pro" laptop.

8. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Yeah, repulsive. But if you have it and you want to use it, it may be the pragmatic way to go.

9. Airboy1466 macrumors 6502

Airboy1466

I actually love the new keyboard soft to the touch and I can type fairly quick on it Apple had an amazing idea but at the same time it’s flawed because of debris

10. kp98077 macrumors 6502

kp98077

I do find it harder to type on this keyboard compared to prior version(s), granted, I have only had my new 13" MBP for a week or so....but it feels VERY different. DUMB question here, is this the same keyboard that is on the 2018 regular macbook? I ask because someone else has that and I have used that model and it feels better (not as stiff, softer, keys seem larger?) ......

11. torana355 macrumors 68040

12. kp98077 macrumors 6502

kp98077

Hahahahahahah

13. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

At that point it’s probably better to just move on to a different product altogether

14. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

not sure if you are aware but a couple of posts that you made on this forum have appeared in one of Louise Rossmann's videos. it's in regards to the Butterfly keyboard issues.

15. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I'm not a fan of the butterfly keyboard, but what you're describing, there is no telling where the print will show up on screen, doesn't sound like a keyboard problem. That's what happens to me if I accidentally brush the large track pad with a finger, accidentally moving the cursor somewhere else. If that's the case, you may be able to fix it by going to Trackpad preferences and disabling the tap to click options.

16. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I have had to do exactly that. If I don’t disable the Tap to Click, my cursor will find itself at random locations and often delete text or add into a random spot. I love tap to click, but in general it just doesn’t work well for me.

17. SalisburySam macrumors member

SalisburySam

I also have not liked the new generation of MBP keyboards and have avoided getting one for that main reason. Other reasons are that I don’t care for the TouchBar oddity, and to move away from the MagSafe connector for power is, for me, a giant step backwards. So no new MBP for me; I got an iMac instead. I use my 2012 MBP when I need portability, which is not often.

The annoying keyboard seems to be a result of Apple’s unnecessary need to make things thinner. Just give me a good keyboard and lots of battery life in a professional portable.

18. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Nope. Sorry. We can’t have that.

That isn’t nearly “innovative” or “minimalist” enough.

If they aren’t removing something useful and making new compromises nobody wants, Apple just isn’t happy these days.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can tolerate the feel, as I had. I didn't like it but I used it. What people cannot tolerate (or shouldn't), is the fact that it fails so much.

20. TommyBoy5 macrumors member

I've had a 2015 MacBook 12" from the first day they were released. I was coming off of a 2010 MBP 15". The keyboard took a lot of getting used to. I had similar problems to the OP. The butterfly mechanism has less travel and less tactile feeling to me. My older MBP keys had a satisfying CLUNK when you hit them and I never had an issue. The new design has a light touch. I used this thing 10 hours a day though and am so used to it. It will get better.

I think they're at what - Gen 2, Gen 3 - now? I need to upgrade and am waiting for the next gen if they come out with it. Too many horror stories on the current ones for me. Mostly due to breakage or becoming unresponsive. The feel no longer is a concern.

21. glhiii macrumors regular

Just bought a 2015 11" MBA -- love the keyboard. I also have a 2015 13" MBP. I can't type properly on the new keyboards, though some people seem to love them. The older computers work perfectly, and they improve as the OS is updated. Eventually, of course, they'll be obsolete, but not for a few years. My 11" MBA does not have a retina screen, but I'd rather deal with that than the butterfly keyboard on the MacBook/Macbook Pro.

22. Shaggymax macrumors member

Shaggymax

..but the New & Improved 4th Gen Butterfly Keyboard Came Out Yesterday w/ the 2019 MBP Releases, its a game changer!

23. pshufd macrumors 6502a

The third-gen keyboard was a game changer too.

24. fokmik macrumors 68040

Remember, the fix keyboard 4 year program, INCLUDES already the 2019 model....so Apple somehow official is telling you that isn't fixed and under some circumstances your keyboard can fail