Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donny

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
Sheffield, UK
just rang TNT again to see if there had been any update. They basically said the same thing redrog - it's entirely out of their hands now (at least they are consistent). It's down to Apple to find the package, or not find it and re-order.

macrem - I will be seriously considering that. Fortunately I have an Apple store near me, but I will be pressing for some kind of "special treatment" after this.

The man from Apple said he was going to ring or email within 24 hours, which would make it 9am tomorrow morning. As soon as I get any message, I will keep you posted.

Don.

Jjpeacha

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
just rang TNT again to see if there had been any update. They basically said the same thing redrog - it's entirely out of their hands now (at least they are consistent). It's down to Apple to find the package, or not find it and re-order.

macrem - I will be seriously considering that. Fortunately I have an Apple store near me, but I will be pressing for some kind of "special treatment" after this.

The man from Apple said he was going to ring or email within 24 hours, which would make it 9am tomorrow morning. As soon as I get any message, I will keep you posted.

Don.
Awww this sucks man, If it was me I'd phone Apple, tell them your pissed of and cancel the order (if the parcel does arrive just refuse to accept it lol). and then on saturday head on over to your local Apple store and buy one there.

I can tell you now, I have no problems with my 320@5400 so its up to you if you buy one separately.

donny

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
Sheffield, UK
it certainly does!

I will wait to see what Apple say tomorrow morning. If they haven't found it I will cancel the order and go and get one from my Apple store (they have them in stock). I CANNOT wait for another to be sent from Shanghai - it just isn't fair on my girlfriend, who has already had to put up with me whining for the past three weeks! And it isn't fair on the ****ing planet either!

It will be very annoying to have to go to the shop to buy a lower spec model, knowing I could have done that 3 weeks ago! If this is what happens, I will definitely be asking for some kind of reimbursement for the time lost.

If they have found it, I am going to press for them to send it straight to me on Saturday.

Although I'm certiainly not ready to jump ship to Dell just yet (my girlfriend has one and they're ****), I really didn't expect this from Apple, and I will be making that point to them. In their favour, the customer service has been good (although maybe I should hold off such compliments until after tomorrow morning!).

Don.

Jjpeacha

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
it certainly does!

I will wait to see what Apple say tomorrow morning. If they haven't found it I will cancel the order and go and get one from my Apple store (they have them in stock). I CANNOT wait for another to be sent from Shanghai - it just isn't fair on my girlfriend, who has already had to put up with me whining for the past three weeks! And it isn't fair on the ****ing planet either!

It will be very annoying to have to go to the shop to buy a lower spec model, knowing I could have done that 3 weeks ago! If this is what happens, I will definitely be asking for some kind of reimbursement for the time lost.

If they have found it, I am going to press for them to send it straight to me on Saturday.

Although I'm certiainly not ready to jump ship to Dell just yet (my girlfriend has one and they're ****), I really didn't expect this from Apple, and I will be making that point to them. In their favour, the customer service has been good (although maybe I should hold off such compliments until after tomorrow morning!).

Don.

Good luck with that. Post some updates later on so we know whats going on. It be interesting to see what they do, and if you do get any discounts!

donny

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
Sheffield, UK
hi everyone

just spoken to someone at Apple. There policy is to leave things for 72 hours (not including weekends) before making a decision. That would mean Wednesday morning a decision would be made - either they have found it or they order a new one. The man said if they ordered a new one it would get priority 1 shipping and would be probably take 3 to 5 working days to arrive. So I'm basically looking at another 2 weeks to get the custome built mbp.

OR

I can cancel the order today and take myself out of the equation. The full amount would be refunded to my credit card in 7-10 working days and I can go to my local Apple store today and pick up a non-custom mbp (the only difference would be it would have a 5200rpm HD rather than a 7200rpm). Plus I would not get my free ipod nano (not too bothered about this).

Does anyone know what the real difference would be between the HDs? I'm tempted to just go and pick one up today but I'm not sure if I should be more patient (although I think I have been patient enough to be honest).

Any thoughts?

Don.

Jjpeacha

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
hi everyone

just spoken to someone at Apple. There policy is to leave things for 72 hours (not including weekends) before making a decision. That would mean Wednesday morning a decision would be made - either they have found it or they order a new one. The man said if they ordered a new one it would get priority 1 shipping and would be probably take 3 to 5 working days to arrive. So I'm basically looking at another 2 weeks to get the custome built mbp.

OR

I can cancel the order today and take myself out of the equation. The full amount would be refunded to my credit card in 7-10 working days and I can go to my local Apple store today and pick up a non-custom mbp (the only difference would be it would have a 5200rpm HD rather than a 7200rpm). Plus I would not get my free ipod nano (not too bothered about this).

Does anyone know what the real difference would be between the HDs? I'm tempted to just go and pick one up today but I'm not sure if I should be more patient (although I think I have been patient enough to be honest).

Any thoughts?

Don.
First off, can you afford to have 2 MBPs on your card at once? This helped me make my decision: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=22149

donny

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I've made up my mind. I'm going to go and buy one from the Apple shop and cancel my order. However, the one in Sheffield doesn't have any in stock so I've got to go to Manchester Arndale centre to get it! The fun never ends!

Let me know what you decide to do redrog.

Don.

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
A bored apple employee told me this morning that TNT still hadn't replied to their investigation and I had to wait til Monday.

If I cancel it won't be to buy a Mac.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
donny & redrog: I would seriously cancel the order, go buy a MBP at the Apple Store and a nice 320@7200 HDD, and an enclosure for the stock HDD, and put the order fiasco behind you, take the free iPods, take a deep breath and then have a nice unboxing and migration this weekend. I'm like you guys and it would not be worth the stress to monkey around with 72 hours here, 5 more days there, etc.

You can even sell the iPods and the stock HDDs and come out ahead of most of us cost wise. I don't have any complaints with the Hitachi HDDs Apple's using, but have read some posts indicating the Seagates you can buy from another vendor are even better that the HDD's Apple uses.

My 2c

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
I get a large discount which isn't available in the store plus I've ordered a 2.8/7200 which they don hold as stock.

Like I said my option is not how I get it but whether I get it.

donny

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
Sheffield, UK
hi everyone

just thought I would update you all - I'm writing this from my new macbook pro! I cancelled my order and bought one from the Apple shop in Manchester. It's absolutely perfect!

I feel your pain redrog, and hope everything sorts itself out soon. I hope you decide to stick with Apple - you should push for some store credit or something for the delay and heart ache. If I hear anything about where they've gone I will continue to keep you updated.

Don

DaftFunk

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
I ordered my MacBook Pro on the 4th November and it was shipped on the 11th and this is my current status.

3033081340_6f27a4ae93.jpg

DaftFunk

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
It's still not changed whats going on? everyone else seems to have had details about the shipment.

:confused:

Dachande663

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
Hi everyone, been having great fun with Apple and TNT lately </sarcasm>.

I ordered a custom MBP end of October, was told it had shipped 11th November and was given a TNT tracking number shortly thereafter. Now it seems TNT never received the parcel and neither Apple nor TNT can tell me where my laptop is. I'm severely tempted to just cancel the order, go in to the store and buy one myself and upgrade it later.

DaftFunk

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
From reading previous posts if you can stick it out and kick up a stink you could get some freebies out of it. But that's a long time to wait.

I called Apple and they said I should get a tracking number Wednesday and expect delivery Thursday or Friday.

Fingers crossed.

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Hi everyone, been having great fun with Apple and TNT lately </sarcasm>.

I ordered a custom MBP end of October, was told it had shipped 11th November and was given a TNT tracking number shortly thereafter. Now it seems TNT never received the parcel and neither Apple nor TNT can tell me where my laptop is. I'm severely tempted to just cancel the order, go in to the store and buy one myself and upgrade it later.

Same as me then.

I'll take back what I said about good customer service at Apple - I've now spoken to 3 different agents, each of whom have promised to contact me after 24hrs plus an email to them and not had one call back.

Dachande663

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
@DaftFunk: I've been promised £40 compensation but as this point I just want a machine.

@redrog: I'm still waiting on Apple to get back to me, so far TNT have been far more helpful (if even less informed as to the whereabouts of my machine).

If Apple say it's going to be more than 7 days I'll cancel my order and walk in to the local store to get one, hopefully taking some compensation as penance.

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Hurrah! Some positive action at last!

Phoned Apple again tonight. After being cut off by the first agent :mad:, the second was much more helpful and read all my notes, then went and spoke to his supervisor and they have now ordered me a replacement. The replacement is coming "Priority 1" so lets see how long it takes when they are trying :)

Although I am going to have to wait another few days, at least I feel like something is happening. I'm even starting to excited again about getting a Mac.

A gesture of goodwill was assured as well.

It can still go wrong again, but I feel better than I did on Friday.

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
US Apple site updated (not UK one) - Ships 4 business days, Delivers 2 Dec - 3 Dec

Sigh - doesn't sound Priority 1 to me......

Dachande663

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
Apple have promised £40 compensation, but no word on a due date yet. On hold again with them now.

Update: Apple still claim TNT have received the parcel while TNT are adamant they have never scanned a physical item associated with my consignment number. Knocked up to management level now with the guarantee that if it isn't sorted by Monday they'll send out a replacement. Which might be here in time for Christmas.

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Delivery!!!!!

Oh hang on its just the Magsafe travel adaptor :rolleyes:

Any suggestions for its use without a computer gladly received.

Althandir

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2008
This all sounds insane!

Ordered mine on Monday morning and yesterday the status changed to 'Prepared for Shipment'. I guess it varies a great deal, but how long until 'prepared' changes to 'shipped'?

I want this machine so badly right now! I've ordered a 2.8ghz, 320gb @ 7200rpm with no other items in case this makes a difference to the estimate...

DarrenG

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
England
Ordered my MBP (2.53 GHz, 7200 rpm HDD) on 11th Nov at 3pm, arrived at 11am on the 19th, so 8 days from order to delivery which is pretty good.

Apple's on-line stuff order tracking is well off though as it said expected delivery 18th whereas UPS said it was in China on 17th, Korea 18th and arrived in UK 3am 19th.

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
This all sounds insane!

Ordered mine on Monday morning and yesterday the status changed to 'Prepared for Shipment'. I guess it varies a great deal, but how long until 'prepared' changes to 'shipped'?

I want this machine so badly right now! I've ordered a 2.8ghz, 320gb @ 7200rpm with no other items in case this makes a difference to the estimate...

Mine was about 3 working days at that status. Shipping direct from China should take another 5-7 working days after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.