Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dan9700, Oct 30, 2018.
9to5 has updated an article saying new macbook pro coming next month's
Everyone who just got the 2018 and dealt with the thermal issues pre-patch and kernel panics are gonna be piiiiiiiissed.
Apple also today announced new MacBook Pro graphics options that will bring powerful Radeon Pro Vega graphics to MacBook Pro for the first time. These new graphics options deliver up to 60 percent faster graphics performance for the most demanding video editing, 3D design and rendering workloads.
Will this addition of Vega graphics replace the current 2018 models at same price or available as an upgrade at a higher cost?
Thank goodness I waited. I'll deal with the keyboard, just gimme a baseline 6 core i7 and the Vega 56 or whatever they use in laptops and I'll be good to go. Hopefully it won't overheat if I get baseline CPU/GPU, only ever had issues when I maxed out the CPU/GPU on my last model, baseline seems like the way to go.
It’s not a new MacBook Pro, it’s a new external Blackmagic GPU with Vega 56.
You sure? I see that story as well, but the other regarding it being a dGPU for only their top of the line MBPs is still up.
I just dropped 2k on the 2018 MacBook Pro with TouchBar and I am pissed at this news. Honestly wondering if worth calling and complaining though doubt they will take this back...
You’re right - the store says Vega 16 and 20 options coming late November. So not 56 or 64...
They mentioned it's only for their top tier model so you may not even have the option for it if you only spent 2k on a new MBP. Glad I waited tho, was holding out for the Vega and it came sooner than I thought, just in time for Christmas
Doesn't seem like it's an eGPU option and looks more like an dGPU selection according to the press release.
"The new graphics configuration option for MacBook Pro will be available to order on apple.com and in Apple retail stores and through Apple Authorized Resellers starting Wednesday, November 14."
I wonder if they will replace the 555x and 560x as standard options with the Vega options instead on the lower/higher end models?
It's a little odd, but the press release says:
where that footnote "1" says:
Unless they've really messed-up that press release, they are saying they tested their Vega graphics with one of the new Airs, which would only make sense if it's an external device (which also makes one wonder about whether the 60 percent performance improvement was relative to a low-powered machine).
Of course it's possible that they have just worded that press release very badly.
Oh the MBP page has been updated:
Radeon Pro Vega graphics.
The 15-inch MacBook Pro now offers Radeon Pro Vega GPU options — the first discrete mobile Vega GPUs in a notebook. Featuring the same graphics architecture used in iMac Pro, Vega delivers an enhanced compute engine and utilizes High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2). HBM2 doubles the memory bandwidth to the GPU while doing so at considerably lower power, so more of the graphics power budget can be used by the GPU itself. The result is significantly faster graphics performance — up to 60 percent faster than the Radeon Pro 560X15 — for tackling demanding video, 3D, rendering, and compute workloads.
Radeon Pro 555X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
Intel UHD Graphics 630
Configurable to Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory
Higher End Model:
Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
Intel UHD Graphics 630
Configurable to Radeon Pro Vega 16 with 4GB of HBM2 memory or Radeon Pro Vega 20 with 4GB of HBM2 memory
Computers get updated. That's what happens. What would you propose? That they put their computers on stop-sell prior to updates?
I'm a bit disappointed as well that it looks like I bought mine too early, but the good news is Apple is providing incremental updates as the technology becomes available. The alternative is waiting 350-400+ days for an update, while they still sell woefully out of date hardware, and that is not a much better option.
I am definitely going to consider a refurbished one of these once they roll out.
I just hope you can get the 2.2ghz CPU with the new Vega GPUs, I really don't want the 2.6 or 2.9 I'd rather just have 6 cores and cut back on heat/noise while editing personally...gaming too. I want it tho, toughest decision now is Space Grey or Silver.
Also for the people saying they're salty that they already upgraded, would you rather they waited an entire year to release a version with Vega? They release when they can get it done and people complain, they wait until the next cycle so everyone can enjoy their model for a while and people complain, seems like a lose/lose situation for Apple lol
I'd be excited if it was the "Vega 20" as in the stuff that leaked in the summer, 7nm. But on AMD page it is listed as 14nm so looks like another rehash of Polaris. I wouldn't expect earth shattering performance/watt gains.
Looks like I'll probably be getting an updated MBP plus the LG 27" monitor to replace my iMac.
Anyone want to wildly speculate on how much the Vega GPUs will cost extra? Are we talking $200? $400? $600?
Doesn't look like you can. Tech specs only list the 560X as an upgrade option for the base 2.2 model. Clicking on "select" for the base model shows only the 560X upgrade option as well. Clicking on "select" for the upper tier model lists "Graphics - New options coming late November" and both Pro Vega options listed below that.
trust me, a more powerful gpu in the same chassis and thermal enclosure...will get the next macbook pro even hotter
Oh? This isn't replacing the base GPU? That's pretty damn expensive then, I guess those who bought them in 2018 won't be overly pissed, esp. if it means forking another 400$