Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LinearX

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2017
Well... a month after dropping 5K for what Apple sold you as a "Pro" machine and now they tell you ALL that money was not enough to buy you a decent graphics option... That, they hold for 3 months until we fools pay ridiculous prices for not-so-high performance and quite a lot of issues, so they can now release a new option that basically outdates the machines we have. In 3 months... They clearly have no respect for their customers. This announcement, that new graphics options would be available later on the year, should have been made when the 2018 model was announced. But hey, maybe your customers won't buy a machine with a pathetic graphics card for the premium price you ask... This is dishonest at best.

I stayed with apple for 10 years now but this is it. This is the last piece of crap that I buy from this company. Hardware almost always several step behind but much more expensive, an OS that is going downhill (the "it just works" is a thing from the past)... I dont see what is the point on paying the huge markup for this kind of treatment...

Yes, this makes me mad.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
If it will Vega on 7nm than it will be ok, no heat issues, but if it will just a more powerful 560X...on the almost the same architecturally , better keep your 555x/560X

limo79

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Does it mean 10-bit color depth in MBP 15" with new AMD Radeon Pro Vega 16 & 20 chips?

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
This may just make me consider buying a 15". I was set on getting the new Air (before it was released, somewhat disappointed). Awaiting pricing information and whether any other small changes occur (battery capacity, internal cooling etc).

MakeTheMostOfLife

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2018
FFS.

Dropped for a full spec model already and I'm a heavy gamer. This would have been the world to me the have this option, and what.... now we have redundant models after only 3 months.

Apple have really ****ed their customers with this one.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple is not releasing another update. Yesterday was the final update for the apple line up, no matter what rumors are swirling, the MacBook, iMac, and MBP are not changing. More so for the MBP, we will not see any vega chipsets, not when they just updated the line this past summer.

MakeTheMostOfLife

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2018
Apple is not releasing another update. Yesterday was the final update for the apple line up, no matter what rumors are swirling, the MacBook, iMac, and MBP are not changing. More so for the MBP, we will not see any vega chipsets, not when they just updated the line this past summer.

Its on the apple website bro

Reactions: komatta and cstm

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its on the apple website bro
You're right, I'm wrong. I eat my words :eek:
2018-10-31_06-48-24.png

Reactions: komatta

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
FFS.

Dropped for a full spec model already and I'm a heavy gamer. This would have been the world to me the have this option, and what.... now we have redundant models after only 3 months.

Apple have really ****ed their customers with this one.

I mean the new dGPU's are better, but given the 35W thermal envelope, under load I would imagine that "60% faster" becomes a lot less. But I guess it is annoying either way given you bought it 3 months ago.

It’s confirmed, Vega chips are coming to MBP next month (in addition to eGPU options).

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
While I would like a Vega on my MBP I am quite happy enough to get a eGPU which will destroy any laptop GPU for the times I need it. I rarely if ever need a powerful GPU when I am not plugged in.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008

I’m debating asking apple if they can give me any consideration on this. The anemic 560x was the biggest reservation I had about the mbp when I bought it a month ago.

Not to mention the 560x is already showing issues with blacks sometimes being mapped to green (I think there’s a thread here about it). It’s rough waiting 5 years for a machine, often with 18 months between updates, finally decide to invest over $4k, only to have a substantial upgrade arrive a month later.

Not really expecting much to come of it, but this does create a lot of buyer remorse.

Reactions: transpo1

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I'm a bit disappointed as well that it looks like I bought mine too early, but the good news is Apple is providing incremental updates as the technology becomes available. The alternative is waiting 350-400+ days for an update, while they still sell woefully out of date hardware, and that is not a much better option.

The thing is that Apple does NOT provide incremental updates like this...at least not often...they are happy to wait a year or two before updating. Certainly, they have never indicated they care much about the GPU in MBP. Generally, it implies there is something wrong they are addressing...this feeling is compounded by the low key way they "announced" it.

cstm

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
so glad I returned my i9 few weeks ago. The graphics card was the biggest drawback with the 2018 mbp. I'll happily pay more for a better one.

LinearX

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2017
The thing is that Apple does NOT provide incremental updates like this...at least not often...they are happy to wait a year or two before updating. Certainly, they have never indicated they care much about the GPU in MBP. Generally, it implies there is something wrong they are addressing...this feeling is compounded by the low key way they "announced" it.

Exactly this. I am afraid this may be more than an upgrade of the graphics solutions but also a quiet update to fix some problems with the current machines (e.g. thermals)... which of course current customers may have to deal with in the future. We all know apple and their "ways" of going about this, e.g. the new updated "silent" keyboard...

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
A bit late, but better late then never. It seems that my new 15" 2018 is going to the second-hand market :D

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Vega is architecturally quite different.
It is a super nova though because AMD, in an effort to stay somewhat competitive with nvidia pushed the chip way past its most efficient voltages and clock speeds.
So or Vega in the mbp is super underclocked, which would be weird cuz that will defo be slower than the 560x, or it is Vega on 7nm which will have mitigated the power and heat concerns...

From all I've seen from Vega, it appears to be very efficient at lower clocks. Its as you say, AMD has overlocked it way beyond its optimal point to compete with Pascal. I am sure that at lower clocks, it will compete very well with Pascal and also with Turing (as Turing seems to have power efficiency very similar to Pascal). I would expect it to have performance comparable to 1050 Ti at a 35W TDP. Don't forget that its using very power efficient HBM2 — so more power can be dedicated to the GPU itself.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I’m debating asking apple if they can give me any consideration on this. The anemic 560x was the biggest reservation I had about the mbp when I bought it a month ago.

Not to mention the 560x is already showing issues with blacks sometimes being mapped to green (I think there’s a thread here about it). It’s rough waiting 5 years for a machine, often with 18 months between updates, finally decide to invest over $4k, only to have a substantial upgrade arrive a month later.

Not really expecting much to come of it, but this does create a lot of buyer remorse.

The reason the dGPU's are weak isn't because of the model really, but rather the 35W TDP spec of dGPU's that Apple are happy to accomodate. They want to be able to keep the rMBP charged using <100W chargers, which isn't possible in say a GTX 1060 machine.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I'd speak with Apple first as some have already been offered concession to return the notebook well past the 14 day period - Don't ask, you don't get...

Good suggestion! Thanks Queen, I'll ask. But I am not too worried since I bough it using education discount, so I wouldn't lose to much money here at any rate.

Update: so, I just talked to Apple support and they told me that I can upgrade the machine any time at any Apple Store for the price difference. Apparently this also applies to storage and RAM. So not really non-upgradeable after all?

Last edited:

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Good suggestion! Thanks Queen, I'll ask. But I am not too worried since I bough it using education discount, so I wouldn't lose to much money here at any rate.

Update: so, I just talked to Apple support and they told me that I can upgrade the machine any time at any Apple Store for the price difference. Apparently this also applies to storage and RAM. So not really non-upgradeable after all?

When you say price difference, surely that just isn't the difference between say 16 and 32gb of ram, but the actual trade in value right?

Because if we can upgrade at any time, that is god damn amazing.

Reactions: transpo1

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
When you say price difference, surely that just isn't the difference between say 16 and 32gb of ram, but the actual trade in value right?

Because if we can upgrade at any time, that is god damn amazing.

Well, that's what the guy told me. Price difference between actual configurations. Maybe I misunderstood, not sure? I guess I will go to the Apple store in late November and ask them there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.