New MacBook Pros Don't Include Backlit Apple Logo or Power Extension Cable

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
The glowing logo was one of the little finished touches that made a Mac different. I loved and now miss those small features like the glowing sleep light that was dropped years go (and have had my MBP not in full sleep in the bag - this could have been avoided with that sleep light). I get that some people don't like it, but being a long time Mac user, I'm not seeing much difference between a mac and those "beige" boxes apple used to poke fun of. They're just as beige now
I think it was a good idea at first, but it didn't look very professional and it wasn't exactly subtle. Apple have made the MacBook look far more refined and professional by getting rid of it, along with that annoying start-up sound which should never have been present in the first place.

Reactions: villicodelirant

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Yes in theory, but why would anyone want the glowing logo? It looked cheap and tacky. Apple were 100% correct to get rid of that nonsense.
That's completely your own personal opinion. I liked it and many liked it. It's iconic.

The glowing logo was one of the little finished touches that made a Mac different. I loved and now miss those small features like the glowing sleep light that was dropped years go (and have had my MBP not in full sleep in the bag - this could have been avoided with that sleep light). I get that some people don't like it, but being a long time Mac user, I'm not seeing much difference between a mac and those "beige" boxes apple used to poke fun of. They're just as beige now
Agreed. I got my new TB MBP and compared it to my 2010 MBP. Then I realized the new one has ZERO lights on the outside. At all. It's disconcerting. I can't even tell if it's charging since there is no green light and no battery charged indicator either. Bums me out.

villicodelirant

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
That's completely your own personal opinion. I liked it and many liked it.
Good for you, but I'll have to agree: a bright glowing logo by nature of it being flashy (almost literally) doesn't exactly look super professional in a conference room.

I liked the clamshell iBook G3 a lot, but I can see why business users continued to prefer the Pismo Powerbook :)

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2002
Good for you, but I'll have to agree: a bright glowing logo by nature of it being flashy (almost literally) doesn't exactly look super professional in a conference room.

I liked the clamshell iBook G3 a lot, but I can see why business users continued to prefer the Pismo Powerbook :)
I'll have to disagree. The illuminated logo was iconic and had literally nothing to do with "professionalism". I don't think it is a big loss compared with the other design compromises.

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2002
I'll have to disagree in turn: no other line of enterprise laptops has glowing... anything.
This automatically makes the old MBP stand out.
And standing out in a conference room is bad :)
Well more disagree is getting served up! Actually, several other manufacturers sell/sold notebooks with illuminated logos. Dell, HP, Microsoft, Toshiba, etc.

I like to stand out in a meeting. It is usually a good thing for me. But whatever. Although I might look at someone with the new MBP and wonder about their sensibility.

villicodelirant

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
Well more disagree is getting served up! Actually, several other manufacturers sell/sold notebooks with illuminated logos. Dell, HP, Microsoft, Toshiba, etc.
But never once on the enterprise product lines (quick test to find if it's marketed as an "enterprise" laptop: does it have a docking port?) :)

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Man, I hated that feature. It was so bright on my 2008 MBP that I covered it with a piece of electrical tape. It lit up the whole room at night and kept me awake. ;)
I never covered it, but was always made sure it pointed in another direction. Apple has had a lot of "neat" features that some people "wow" at but really... why? I could check my battery level with a button on the side of the unibody MPBs. Neat. But how many times did I ever use that in a practical situation? Basically when a machine wouldn't power up at all (which almost always meant the battery was dead) I'd check with the button.

For the record, I like the shiny non-glow logos better.

AppleComputer

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
Cupertino, CA
I'll have to disagree in turn: no other line of enterprise laptops has glowing... anything.
This automatically makes the old MBP stand out.
And standing out in a conference room is bad :)
Sounds like a bill gates response, lol. If you are that self conscious you probably worry often about conforming to standards. Apple has always been about the artist and thinking differently, not letting other peoples notions of what is normal or status quo form what you should be about.

I can see people being newer to apple to have this idea though, if you bought an iPhone because it was cool and never owned a mac until a few years ago, the removal of certain features that have been with the product line for over a decade isn't much of an issue.

villicodelirant

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
Sounds like a bill gates response, lol.
I take that as a compliment, Gates is a smart and successful fellow.

If you are that self conscious you probably worry often about conforming to standards. Apple has always been about the artist and thinking differently, not letting other peoples notions of what is normal or status quo form what you should be about.
Oh, pish-posh.

Apple is a brand of computers.

Even if Apple were about "thinking differently", instead of being about "selling computers", I don't think "being an artist" equates with having 2in tall glowing logos on your hardware, nor do I think that you can't own a Mac and still have a real job (which might or might not entail conforming to standards and - the horror - even wearing a tie to work).

Also, we are not talking about my self consciousness or lack thereof, we are talking about computers and industrial design.

I can see people being newer to apple to have this idea though, if you bought an iPhone because it was cool and never owned a mac until a few years ago, the removal of certain features that have been with the product line for over a decade isn't much of an issue.
Which is funny, because my first Mac was the LC we had in the home when I was a kid, and the first Mac that was really mine was a rainbow logo Powerbook, and I haven't owned an iPhone until 2014.

But yeah, I am not "thinking differently" enough.

Last edited:

wolfaaron

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Great, another cord to worry about. Hopefully I can just find a longer USB C charging cable to make up for it. Sigh

BonitaAppleBaum

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2017
In line with the 12-inch MacBook, new MacBook Pro models do not come with Apple's Power Adapter Extension Cable in the box. Previous MacBook Pro models included the extension cable in the box for several years.
Don't you see? Apple is easing everyone into the world of PC building!

Soon you can go on newegg.com and buy your Apple™ processor to plug into your Apple™ motherboard in your official $2,000 Apple™ Pro case.

Just don't forget the $15 Apple™ thermal paste!

dreamboat

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2016
Yes, I did it! Cannot live without the glowing logo!!

How many people are going to actually feedback to Apple though over the glowing Apple? They removed the backlit keyboard from the 2010 Macbook Air, but because of customer feedback it came back with the 2011 model (thankfully).