Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
Well, that's good news! I personally wont be buying one because I have a 2010 MBP but I'm excited to see what improvements they make. It will also be cool to see what physical changes they make too. The best part is that all these MacBook Pro rumor threads will stop for a few days :rolleyes:

oper8n

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
Wow...

There's a man who's on the last throes of his life and folks are on here clamoring about the timeliness of the potential new updates. This about sums up the American thought process at it's best, wouldn't you guys say?

I'm glad that I'm not a part of this rabid Apple cult.

iBabaVoss

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
Does anybody else have concerns about the GPU?
I mean the GT 330M was a total joke considering the price of the laptop. Could be a real deal-breaker for me. :(

speedylomeli

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2011
South Lake Tahoe, CA
USb 3.0

i will only purchase if it comes with usb 3.0 and a standard ssd (256 is just fine) for the same price they are selling MacBook pro's right now, else forget it. Not worth it, not even for sandy ;).

dampfdruck

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
What I would like to have

Hardware:

- Second battery instead of an optical drive
- built in UMTS modem
- VGA output (all projectors have VGA-in)
- SSD

- FileVault that doesn't take 10 minutes to shut down the laptop

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Wow...

There's a man who's on the last throes of his life and folks are on here clamoring about the timeliness of the potential new updates. This about sums up the American thought process at it's best, wouldn't you guys say?

I wouldn't say that. People die, business goes on. Steve Jobs gave his life to Apple, probably to the point of stressing his health more than he should have. And what should people do? Go into mourning and stop buying their products? That's neither good for Apple or the people who want/need their products.

edifyingGerbil

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
Looking forward to thursday! :)

PS, Just noticed that higher end 13" MBP got a delivery time of 3 to 5 days in the Belgian Apple store...

I also noticed on the UK online store that the higher end 13" MBP is also showing a 3 - 5 day delay in shipping times.

It would appear that something is imminent, unless Steve Jobs is the ultimate troll ever, if so kudos to him :D

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Hardware:

- Second battery instead of an optical drive
- built in UMTS modem
- VGA output (all projectors have VGA-in)
- SSD

- FileVault that doesn't take 10 minutes to shut down the laptop

You can VGA out using the Mini-DisplayPort to VGA adapter. The VGA connector is just too big for the current laptop design from Apple. It is also a depreciated standard and is only supported by Apple Consumer Electronics for legacy issues (e.g. existing VGA wiring).

Stef4n

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
I also noticed on the UK online store that the higher end 13" MBP is also showing a 3 - 5 day delay in shipping times.

It would appear that something is imminent, unless Steve Jobs is the ultimate troll ever, if so kudos to him :D

Same for Germany, 3-5 days now.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
If the MBP's were really getting a complete redesign, we would have an event.

Agreed. But here's hoping we are wrong! :D

Tell me about iPad 2 refresh not iMac or MacBooks :(

now that's a better size for your obnoxious comment.

I just got a new Macbook Pro 13" on 2/3/11 because my old Macbook laptop was stolen. There's no possibility that I might could go in and switch mine out for a new one on Thursday could I? LOL

Cartoonfan1983

Read this

This update will be hardware update. I expect apple to hold press event on October/November to release brand new MBP with redesigned unibody.

If it has a new exterior design I would imagine there would be an event. If it is just the innards getting the Sandy Bridge components then likely a silent refresh.

Yup-Yup. My money is on a late 2011 major MBP chassis redesign debuting then. But hey, if it comes out during this refresh they'll be no complaints from this side. :cool:

I knew it was going downhill when they changed the name from Apple Computer to Apple Inc.

Indeed. The writing appears to be slowly scribbled onto the wall...

Fits well with the launch of dual core SBs which is tomorrow.

Timing is everything. :p

IrishD

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
New here! Hello!

I've been following the rumors on this site for quite some time now as I have decided to switch to Mac. Things just keep getting better for me!

I *just* got hired by a company that does tech support, and while I am in a different department, we do Apple support as well on certain items. (Sorry, not allowed to say the company, policy and whatnot) We get up to 17% off all Apple Products so it takes off the tax for me.

Also, my birthday is coming up next month and as a gift to myself I want to get a Mac, so this allows them to be released, and have a few weeks of testing to see if there are any *major* problems before I buy one.

As sweet as a redesign would be, I already like the look of the pro's so either way I'm gold.

Sorry, tad excited... I haven't bought a new computer in nearly 4 years.

Nein01

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
Germany
I am sure that you know the answer. No quad cores. The real question is whether new laptop will have USB 3.0 and BluRay option.

um.. i think you have that completely backwards. There's NO chance of USB 3.0 or BluRay, but quad cores are a BTO possibility in the high end models, at least the 17"

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
I don't get it. Some people are so against the ODD - why not just buy the MBA?
So let's say they remove it from the 13" while keeping the specs higher than the MBA and then make it as thin or almost as thin as the MBA. So how much do you think Apple will sell that for, seeing the lower spec MBA is already more expensive than the base MBP (current model)?

There is no talk about thickness.
there is a talk about quad core CPU + discrete GPU.
They need a lot of space for heat dissipation.

ehpedro

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
UK
Wait for Lion?

All sounds v tempting but personally, I'm gona hold on a few months and wait for Lion...

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Good timing

Good Timing... I just yesterday sold 10 shares of AAPL. That should pay for a shiny new 15" MBP just perfectly :)

Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that it comes with USB3 and NO FREAKING OPTICAL DRIVE... a matte screen would make a really nice bonus but that's not a deal breaker.

Ziggie

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
This would be fantastic.

I've been telling my girlfriend to hold off from buying a new Macbook Pro october now, expecting a refresh in or around november. The sound, airport, superdrive, keyboard and trackpad on her current Macbook Pro mid 2007 have all broken down so it's been hell for her to wait, and 24 february is her birthday.

All sounds v tempting but personally, I'm gona hold on a few months and wait for Lion...

Apple might do a 10 dollar upgrade action like they usually do, so it probably won't really matter. It all depends on when Lion is coming out and when the action will start.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
I have probably literally used the ODD twice in almost 2 years. Once to install 10.6, once to install windows 7. I have a 15 inch mbp and I love the size of the screen. I've got an old blackbook and honestly, I can't go back to a 13 inch screen. MBA's and 13 inch MBP's just wont cut for me anymore.

In this day and age, ODD's are outdated. It is the oldest technology per size in the computer. Hell, even HDD's are increasing in data density. A DVD drive is still the 8 gigs for all that size. Go do yourself a favor and pick up a 32 or 64 gig flash drive and call it a day. If that's still not good enough, just pick up a external superdrive. That's probably what I'll do just for kicks.

EDIT: Oh and a MBA would just lock up if you tried to play games on it.

See, the issue is you have 13 inch macbook pro wannabes who complain about removal of the ODD, while true MBP 15's and 17's generally welcome the change. True I don't see the difference if a 13 inch mbp lost it's odd when compared to a mba, but it's substantial for a 15 or a 17 computer.

That's your use case, and you're only thinking about data storage and transfer.

I use my ODD for:

• Ripping old CDs and gifts on CD to iTunes
  • Ripping DVDs to play on my iPad
  • Getting 'Digital Copies' of movies bundled with DVDs onto my MB
  • Burning DVDs of home video to give to family
  • Burning DVDs of college video to distribute to colleagues and students
  • Burning .isos of Linux etc to install and try out on other computers
  • Burning CDs of music recorded on an 8-track which I mix in GarageBand etc, to share and sell
  • Getting OEM bundled software (with, eg, the 8-track recorder) onto my MB

And so on.

ODDs will die, but not just yet, and not for all possible uses.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you have kids the ODD is still needed, as many videos are still in DVD only.
BluRay is needed also.
When the movie industry mOves to all digital distribution, then we will be in a different world. I'll love to be able to get a digital copy in HD, with the different languages and subtitles, not the crippled version available in iTunes nowadays. Only if Netflix and Pandora become available anywhere in the civilized world their model will reach even more, and sky rocket their revenue stream, and finally kill the old business model and the failed attempts from Apple... I hope that Apple do something like that with their server farm.
Liquid Metal will kick ass. Black Lion...?

With Steve's condition, and what ever they do will gain media coverage, even when they do nothing they get media attention, so let's wait and see. Keep your eyes open for a leaked image...where are them?

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
good good good glad to see this happening soon! Cant wait to see what the new features are! Next up iMacs. Come on i need refreshed iMacs soon too! Deus EX 3 and Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim anyone? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.