New MacBook Pros Likely to Launch on Thursday

Tshapi

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2007
Have you guys, ever thought that Apple only holds events for the product re-designs they wish to emphasis at the time? for example if apple is planning to go SSD and light peak, but not drop the ODD until after lion, for example. maybe this update will be done quietly so that the next one gets all the attention just before the christmas season.

Just an example

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
I hope this is a substantial refresh (design and internals). Most signs seem to suggest it won't be, assuming it's being dropped next thursday.

However, someone brought up a good point. Perhaps Steve's absence is the reason for no event. An event with Tim Cook doesnt really pack the same PR punch, no offense to Tim.

ciTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Portugal (Porto)
www.mindovertech.com
Have you guys, ever thought that Apple only holds events for the product re-designs they wish to emphasis at the time? for example if apple is planning to go SSD and light peak, but not drop the ODD until after lion, for example. maybe this update will be done quietly so that the next one gets all the attention just before the christmas season.

Just an example
Yes it is possible that a new event this year given all the rumors..

ldellx3

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
I hope this is a substantial refresh (design and internals). Most signs seem to suggest it won't be, assuming it's being dropped next thursday.

However, someone brought up a good point. Perhaps Steve's absence is the reason for no event. An event with Tim Cook doesnt really pack the same PR punch, no offense to Tim.
ahah i brought up that point..im surprised no one thought of it before..

mdgm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2010
do you think it should? also should i go with iwork or microsoft office
Whether 320GB is enough depends on your personal needs, wants and preferences. An important factor is how big your media library.

As for iWork, Microsoft Office, or free programs such as OpenOffice and NeoOffice, what you choose is up to you.

You can try OpenOffice and/or NeoOffice. If they don't meet your needs then consider iWork and Microsoft Office.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole

Just an example
Works for me. I actually need a new laptop and while the current arrandales would be fine, SB is a really nice upgrade. I won`t be sad if something better comes out later this year - it always does anyway.

halhiker

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2006
I'll wait yet

Will there be anything coming that will make it imperative to upgrade from my 2009 MBP? Probably not. I'll just wait until SSD comes standard, and they finally dump the unnecessary optical drive. I don't think a MAJOR revision comes until after the release of Lion. We'll see.

And how about an update to iWork already?!?

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Will there be anything coming that will make it imperative to upgrade from my 2009 MBP? Probably not. I'll just wait until SSD comes standard, and they finally dump the unnecessary optical drive. I don't think a MAJOR revision comes until after the release of Lion. We'll see.

And how about an update to iWork already?!?
Fast SSD drives like OCZ are about $170 for 120 GB. No need to get a whole new PC to enjoy the benefits of SSD.

mdgm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2010
OCZ Vertez 3 just got announced though... One of those should be really nice... Needs a 6GBs sata though... :D
Needs SATA III to take full advantage of it. It's still going to beat SATA II SSDs over SATA II. Having said that if you are willing to buy the early 11 MBP with SATA III then go for it.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Super Drive - $79

External Super Drive priced at $79, they should it bring it down bit lower - may be to $29.

my guess - they might still keep the super drive in 15" and 17" and remove the optical drive in 13" and might keep one 13" model with optical drive.

i am more interested in what they do with $999 notebook aka MacBook (which is first notebook for many of us who got introduced to Mac - though my first mac was 12" PB - 13" macbook is the really usable first Mac for me)

wiredx

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
I don't get it. Some people are so against the ODD - why not just buy the MBA?
So let's say they remove it from the 13" while keeping the specs higher than the MBA and then make it as thin or almost as thin as the MBA. So how much do you think Apple will sell that for, seeing the lower spec MBA is already more expensive than the base MBP (current model)?

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
So let's say they remove it from the 13" while keeping the specs higher than the MBA and then make it as thin or almost as thin as the MBA. So how much do you think Apple will sell that for, seeing the lower spec MBA is already more expensive than the base MBP (current model)?
They should just make an air pro hybrid for the 13" imo. Just call it the macbook and kill the white one.

The new 13" macbook could be
Unibody aluminum (or liquid metal if they start using that)
Super thin with no superdrive
Higher pro level specs but still not quite up to what the 15" and 17" are capable of.

syan48306

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I have probably literally used the ODD twice in almost 2 years. Once to install 10.6, once to install windows 7. I have a 15 inch mbp and I love the size of the screen. I've got an old blackbook and honestly, I can't go back to a 13 inch screen. MBA's and 13 inch MBP's just wont cut for me anymore.

In this day and age, ODD's are outdated. It is the oldest technology per size in the computer. Hell, even HDD's are increasing in data density. A DVD drive is still the 8 gigs for all that size. Go do yourself a favor and pick up a 32 or 64 gig flash drive and call it a day. If that's still not good enough, just pick up a external superdrive. That's probably what I'll do just for kicks.

EDIT: Oh and a MBA would just lock up if you tried to play games on it.

See, the issue is you have 13 inch macbook pro wannabes who complain about removal of the ODD, while true MBP 15's and 17's generally welcome the change. True I don't see the difference if a 13 inch mbp lost it's odd when compared to a mba, but it's substantial for a 15 or a 17 computer.

DrRadon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Thats the good thing about Apple. Wen one product just dos not get anounced even if you spread rumors of it being out every week... you just switch to another productline so it dos get less boring. :D