Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
The entry level prices for the new 13" and 15" are $500 more! For a stupid bar? When was the last time new MacBooks were so much more expensive, and then took a price cut? Never. I don't buy that the first MacBook Air is an example of anything. That was a specialty product, unlike the staple laptops that generally just get better with the same price point.
It's a mini iPad built-in, hence the price of an iPad Mini "built-in". QHD touch display price premiums are way less, but Apple gives you thin slim sliver of one.
I'm no DJ, but wasn't that Demo a joke ? I can see them scrubbing on an iPad, but on that tiny strip?

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
Not sure if I quite understand... We buy these new MBs at a ridiculous price and next year they get a price cut... wasn't there a time or two where Apple did this and they gave people the price difference?

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
This isn't exactly a super risky rumor. LPDDR 4 is pretty much coming to MacBooks as soon as Intel gets its act together. Delays on Intel's part were cited as the reason why the current gen MacBook Pro only officially supports 16GB. It's a shame considering its now being marketed as a workstation-capable computer for editing content on two 5K displays simultaneously. You could technically install 32GB potentially, but it will cause significant impact to battery life when when aren't plugged in.

Reactions: TiquanS and bernuli

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
Just the way it goes for refreshed generations. We should see $400-$600 cuts across the board in the form of new entry-level MacBook Pro with touch bar models next year.
How about a refresh Macbook Air 13" proper! With Kaby Lake, a better screen, the same 12hours+ battery life and the same chiclet keyboard.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
"explained that for Apple to make a notebook with support for more than 16GB of RAM, it would have to use a memory system that consumes too much power.explained that for Apple to make a notebook with support for more than 16GB of RAM, it would have to use a memory system that consumes too much power."

- I'd prefer 32GB ram with shorter battery life.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Remember guys, this isn't guaranteed...Ming said, "dependant" the cannonlakes comes out.

People should take this news lightly. Apple hardly reduce prices...unless it's one of those "clearance."

Reactions: iKrl

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Hey y'all the only thing that's changed is our rumor quality getting better. It has always been this way around initial releases and prices. But watching you all cop a resentful grudge is sort of entertaining.

And it's not just Intel who encounters processor holdups. Apple had to recall 500mhz Sawtooth G4s bc of errata in the manufacturing process. My 450mhz was suddenly top of the heap.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/500,news-1037.html

Last edited:

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
Considering the original Retina got a $200 price cut, I'd expect the same for the touchbar line. Apple won't lower the overall price.

Reactions: unobtainium

Thunderstrike76

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
I can not stand all the bitching I've been hearing from all you guys since the new macs were announced. Do you guys not remember the price hikes of the rMBP vs the non-rMBP. It took about a year and a half for apple to bring the prices down to where they are today. In terms of why apple isn't shipping macs with 32gb of ram read grubbers explanation. He's right...http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/10/31/intel-mbp-ram

BreadofWonder

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2016
Now we get price cuts, now we get 32GB of RAM? What the hell is going on at Apple?

About a week ago Schiller said they don't build the MacBook for price they build it for experience. Has he changed his mind ... is he now building for price and an even a worse experience?
This is how Apple's done it for as long as I can remember. Every new remodel costs more and then the price drops gradually over the next two or so years. Then 4 or 5 years later there's another new remodel and the cycle begins anew. As far as the RAM goes, Apple had a choice of either keeping RAM at 16gb, not making the computer thinner, or cutting battery life. Obviously, they thought thinner and same or better battery life was more important to most users (surely they focus test these things).

Last edited:

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Reminds me of when I got my 13inh Retina MacBook Pro in 2012 for $2200 with 2.9ghz i7 ], 8gb ram, and 512gb SSD. I got it in December like two months after it came out, and by February, it dropped down to around $1700 I think for roughly the same specs.

Reactions: Dead0k

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
How about a refresh Macbook Air 13" proper! With Kaby Lake, a better screen, the same 12hours+ battery life and the same chiclet keyboard.

They're probably going to kill the Air line but if they were to release a 13" MacBook it could fill its spot quite well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.