New macbook scratched out of box!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tkmcguire1, Oct 17, 2010.

1. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

I bought a new white macbook at bestbuy yesterday,i took it out to set it up and noticed there were small scuffs and hairline scratches on it,so i called bestbuy and they said bring it back to exchange,they opened up the exchange and checked it over and then talked me into buying a speck hard case for it,$54! expensive for a case,when i get it home i saw it had finger prints all over it from where the store guy had handled it so i used the soft cloth that came with the case to clean it and noticed small hairline scratches! Has anyone else had this problem with their white macbook scratching easily? i had a 13" macbook pro several months ago,but had to sell it,i am disabled and we had some medical bills to pay for.Now that we were back on our feet better i wanted a mac again,but i only had enough to get a white macbook,this is the first time to ever own a white one,is it worth keeping it? or should i come up with the extra for a pro? all i really do on it is browse the internet,watch movies,listen to music and manage some items i sell on ebay.I'm just not sure what to do.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Why make such a big fuss over it? Over time it will get scratched and scuffed.

3. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

buy the crappy best buy warranty and abuse abuse abuse lol;)

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No offense, but you should have waited until Wednesday. Apple is about to announce new macbook and macbook pros with iLife 2011.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

How are you so sure?

6. tkmcguire1 thread starter macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

According to macrumors buying guide the macbook is only midcycle and not due for an update anytime soon,it just got updated 5 mos ago,i know that ilife 2011 is coming out soon and i can buy the upgrade for that but the macbook won't be updated anytime soon as it just got updated 5 mos ago in May.

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Completely agree. It's no big deal if you can't really see them. No matter how careful I have been with my MacBook, small hairline scratches have appeared that I didn't even know when/how they were caused. It's no big deal :)

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

9. happle macrumors 6502a

yeah dude its glossy white...and the new macbooks have softer polycarbonate so they dont crack like the old ones. these things scratch easy...just get used to it. plus you have a hard case. a couple little tiny scratches that you can only see at certain angles is no big deal...

and yeah i dont think the macbook will be updated just yet. within about 6 months it probably will be though.

10. Macfreak456 macrumors newbie

Macfreak456

Hey, My macbook is all scratched up but it's not a big fuss. Go to apple and see if you can buy a Color case for the outter part of your computer and sometimes what I do to keep my scratches less noticeable is clean it.:rolleyes:. Macbooks are great computers.

11. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

I bought the speck seethru case for my MacBook for $10

12. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

where?

13. happle macrumors 6502a

i used to use the speck seethru case but i returned it. for one the little plastic clips gouge the edges of your macbook especially the thin edge on the screen part. plus it was so hard getting off one of the clips broke right off. cheaply made and doesnt look very good imo.

i went with the incase smoked clear hard case. the smokey clear looks amazing and is also soft touch. it fits like a dream, is easy to get on and off, and doesnt have breakable clips or clips that gouge your macbook.

plus the speck seethru does not have vent holes on the bottom where this incase does

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/hardshell-case-cl57452/2

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

So if I wait until Wed to buy the new MacBook and Apple doesn't announce it, what will you do for me?

Don't state as fact what you don't know to be fact.

15. tkmcguire1 thread starter macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

I know things get scratched and marked thats just natural,but what i'm saying is mine came brand new out of the box with scratches already on it! i don't know about anyone else but i don't like paying a $1000 for something that comes out of the box looking already used.

16. kingsal macrumors member

I didn't know Apple followed the MacRumors buying guide when updating its computers. You're looking at it backwards.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's not the point. Would you buy a "new" car (thats worth over $60K) with over 30,000 miles on it?

I would return it and get a new one. (actually, wait till Wednesday to be sure). I don't care if it would scratch eventually. I payed for a product without scratches.

18. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, okay. You are right I suppose. I got owned...again. I just personally don't find it as much of a big deal.

19. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

i have a case on mine...i cant even see it anymore.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

:p Haha, it's all good. :)

21. Kieranic Guest

I would've just swapped it if I were you but don't worry, it'll have to your computer eventually. My screen has a few scratches and stuff on the screen (and a dead pixel), its a year old, but you just learn to deal with it :)

22. makinao macrumors regular

This is why I unbox all new electronics in the store for inspection, and turn them on to see if they work. Also, I choose stores that have space for me to do this, and people to assist me in a relaxed, unhurried fashion. Most receipts have a clause that you have received the unit in good condition. So unless you raised any issue in the store before you left, then it is assumed it was indeed in good condition both functionally and cosmetically.

Was your unit "sealed" (which means noone has opened it since it left the factory) , "open box" (which means a customer or sales person unsealed it in the store but the sale was not consumated), "returned" (meaning the customer brought it home but returned it), or a "refurb" (meaning it was returned to the store, then to apple which checked out everything for defects, then sold it again at a discount)? If the unit was sold as sealed, then it should be immaculate. But if you left the store without having opening or testing it, it is very difficult to prove that you were not the cause of minor cosmetic imperfections. The three other types are usually sold at a discount, and the buyer is usually told that there may be minor cosmetics flaws because they were unsealed. We've have had an iBook, two iMacs, an MBA, and a white Macbook. The iBook had some very minor scratches on the bottom that could only be seen up close, but it was a refurb, so that was not unexpected. The iMacs, MBA, and Macbook, which were all brand new and sealed, were immaculate when they were initially unsealed. But again, I checked them all out before I left the store. So I knew what I was getting.

Having said that, minor scratches show up easily on all the white glossy plastic/polycarbonate bodied devices I've owned. The white macbook is no exception. Just get a nice cheap neoprene sleeve to prevent scratches while in transit. Get a microfiber cloth to remove smudges. Use tissue paper slightly dampened with isopropyl alcohol to remove oils and dirt. And avoid working with dirty or oily hands. I've managed to keep my iBook and Macbook reasonably clean over the years by following these.

23. njean777 macrumors 6502

Go return it, if i bought a 1000$ laptop and it was scratched or dented i would return instantly. Just open it up in your car or in store and check before you leave this time. :p

24. Pine Pienaar macrumors newbie

Don't stress all new things scratch.
    My MacBook also scratches one needs to be careful with it.
    Regards

25. Pine Pienaar macrumors newbie

Good point on inspecting your purchase first and in a relaxed state!
    Regards